Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pclancy  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2020 11:20:51(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
Back to the basics. Easy questions for those who are kind enough to help a beginner:

I am wiring some new c track turnouts, and struggle doing this. I am using both new and old (but new in the box) parts. The turnout motors are brand new.

I start without mounting the solenoid motor in the turnout just to see if it works.

I get that the yellow wire from the turnout goes to the yellow outlet on the transformer (it's a 32 VA 220--I live in France). (I am keeping this simple and just starting with one turnout and no other lighting.)

A brown wire goes from one of the transformer brown outlets (there are two) to a turnout control box. On the side. I am using a 7210.

You then connect the blue wires from the turnout to the turnout control box.

Every time I do this, the transformer shorts out.

I note that in the turnout instructions, the turnout control box shown is a 72710 or a 72720.

Questions:

1) Is the problem my old but new in the box turnout control box? Do I need to buy a 72710 and discard my 7210?

What's the difference between a 72710 and 72720?

I using a 7210. Yet I also have two 7211 control boxes. They do not have a connection on the side. How are they used?

2) Some time ago, probably decades, Marklin switched from male plugs without sleeves to male plugs with sleeves. What a PITA, I have many of the former and not many of the later. The distribution (Verteilerplatte) panels all seem to want me to use the plugs with sleeves. I guess I need to buy those, no?

Thanks

Offline rrf  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2020 13:58:49(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

The 7210 is used to control continuous power to an accessory or isolated track section.

Marklin_7210_Control_Box_2.JPG
Marklin_7210_Control_Box_1.JPG

The correct old style control box for solenoid accessories such as turnouts is the 7072. It provides momentary alternating connections between the outputs.

Marklin_7072_Control_Box.JPG

The 72710 and 72720 are newer models of solenoid control boxes. Both use the new style of plugs. The 72710 has feedback LEDs that show the setting of the accessory.

The 7211 is also used to provide continuous power. It differs from the 7210 in that one can provide four different inputs and then turn them on and off.

An easy way to determine if your turnout motor is working properly is to momentarily touch one blue wire to the brown wire coming from your transformer. Then do the same for the other blue wire. By alternating back and forth between blue wires, you should be able to see the solenoid motor move its control arm.

Finally, I too have a lot of the old style plugs from my (much) younger days. I made the change over to the new plugs. I have found them to be much easier to work with, more reliable and in general a much better design.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline pclancy  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2020 19:48:25(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

The 7210 is used to control continuous power to an accessory or isolated track section.

Marklin_7210_Control_Box_2.JPG
Marklin_7210_Control_Box_1.JPG

The correct old style control box for solenoid accessories such as turnouts is the 7072. It provides momentary alternating connections between the outputs.

Marklin_7072_Control_Box.JPG

The 72710 and 72720 are newer models of solenoid control boxes. Both use the new style of plugs. The 72710 has feedback LEDs that show the setting of the accessory.

The 7211 is also used to provide continuous power. It differs from the 7210 in that one can provide four different inputs and then turn them on and off.

An easy way to determine if your turnout motor is working properly is to momentarily touch one blue wire to the brown wire coming from your transformer. Then do the same for the other blue wire. By alternating back and forth between blue wires, you should be able to see the solenoid motor move its control arm.

Finally, I too have a lot of the old style plugs from my (much) younger days. I made the change over to the new plugs. I have found them to be much easier to work with, more reliable and in general a much better design.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Thanks so much! Great diagrams!

But to clarify: a 7210 does not work when it comes to turnout switches, correct? Nor a 7211. I need either a 72710 (new style) or a 7072 (old style). Thanks for clarifying.

Peter

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pclancy
Offline hvc  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2020 08:00:49(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: pclancy Go to Quoted Post

But to clarify: a 7210 does not work when it comes to turnout switches, correct? Nor a 7211.
Peter

Correct - it won't work.

Originally Posted by: pclancy Go to Quoted Post

I need either a 72710 (new style) or a 7072 (old style).

Yes.

- Herman
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hvc
Offline pclancy  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2020 08:20:19(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
So many thanks for the clarification. You cannot believe how much time I spent trying to get the wrong control boxes to work. I love Marklin, but without a forum like this, and kind people like you, how on earth would anyone know what to do? Is there not an English language guide to wiring Marklin (for beginners) complete with diagrams and FAQs that I can download? Does Marklin expect that everyone knows how to decode all their obtuse model numbers and various iterations of equipment over the years? In any case, many thanks!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pclancy