Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eduard71  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2020 23:07:23(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,
I am having issues with the foam that covers my Big Boy 37993. For some reason it has degrade and it is desintegrating, It comes apart and does not maintain it form. The same actually happened to the foam in some of my Hag locomotives. In my other Big Boy the 37994 the foam still looks good but I am afraid that soon it will happen the same.
Does any of you have had problems like this with foam? I wonder if Marklin sells a replacement or should I go to a foam store and ask for something similar?

Regards

Eduardo
Offline dickinsonj  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2020 01:52:34(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post

Does any of you have had problems like this with foam? I wonder if Marklin sells a replacement or should I go to a foam store and ask for something similar?

My 37990 Big Boy has something happening with that same foam piece Eduardo. In the last few years it has started to feel damp to the touch, although so far it is still holding together. But I do wonder if it might damage the loco as it breaks down over time.

I would like to replace it if I can, but I have never seen Märklin sell parts of their packaging before, so I doubt that will be an option. Maybe I need to make a new one out of something like memory foam.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline DTaylor91  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2020 06:03:54(UTC)
DTaylor91

Many brass locomotives come/came packed in foam, and yes it degrades over time. It can, and eventually will damage the finish on your model. There is a company called Reboxx that sells generic replacement boxes and foam for brass locomotives. The foam comes in one piece and has to be cut to fit your model. Not sure if you can get the foam separately or you have to buy the entire box. Also, wrapping the model in clear plastic helps prevent damage to the model. It won't help the foam much though.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DTaylor91
Offline Unholz  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2020 07:38:31(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post
The same actually happened to the foam in some of my Hag locomotives.

Yes, this has been a very nasty phenomenon for a number of years. One of the worst cases so far looks like this: https://www.forum.hag-in...postID=124741#post124741

Japanese and Korean brass models from the 1960's are also affected, as well as some Liliputs. In those cases, the foam is yellow or orange. It is even worse, because those models were often not additionally packet into a transparent sleeve but just sat in the foam which turned into powder. The powder damaged the paint of the model.

If you stumble over this "disease" you should immediately discard the foam inlay and try to remove any traces of it with a soft brush and/or compressed air.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2020 13:40:27(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eduardo
I just checked my Big Boy 37990 and the foam indeed has lost some of its elasticity
Cheers
Jean
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2020 15:03:14(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Thanks everyone for the useful information. ThumpUp

This is something that I first noticed last year and I have been meaning to look into if further but have been dealing with more pressing MRR tasks. I think I will start by removing that foam, which is not too important as long as the loco is not being shipped, but could clearly cause problems if not addressed eventually.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.