Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marylandmarklin  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2020 04:20:53(UTC)
marylandmarklin

United States   
I recently converted my Lufthansa Express BR 103 (Marklin 2868) to digital using the Marklin 60760 kit. The sodering and everything appears to be performed correctly, however when I run the locomotive onto the tracks with my DELTA DIGITAL controller, the locomotive disobeys the selected DELTA digital address and runs as if it is analog. Furthermore, the lights do not appear to work and the train appears to only run in one direction. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem before and how were they able to resolve it. The kit states that the factory mode of the decoder is the "steam" address for DELTA, but it doesn't appear to obey that address.

Thanks you in advance.
Thanks,
Sahil
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2020 06:44:21(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Could you please tell us exactly what controller you are using(model number Etc) and if possible a picture of it & the loco without the body on would be very helpful & we could sort you issue out quick smart.

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline marylandmarklin  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2020 22:53:56(UTC)
marylandmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
Could you please tell us exactly what controller you are using(model number Etc) and if possible a picture of it & the loco without the body on would be very helpful & we could sort you issue out quick smart.

Dave...

IMG_8468.jpgIMG_8470.jpgIMG_8472.jpgIMG_8471.jpgIMG_8466.jpg

Here are the photos. Please let me know if these are fine.

Thanks

Thanks,
Sahil
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2020 23:38:31(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I would say for that to work you would need to have the address on the decoder set to one of these: https://www.marklin-users.net/ht...digital/DIdeltaaddr.html

You said it was set to steam so that address being 78. I would suggest an upgrade to a simple digital Marklin mobile station would be to your benefit to start with if you are looking towards going digital.

For wiring have you done this:

Wire colors:
1). yellow = hot wire to the rear headlight
2). gray = hot wire to the front headlight
3). orange = ground return for functions
4). green = motor connection
5). blue = motor connection
6). brown = ground return
7). red = track power conductor

I noticed a blue wire going to the front / rear light & Motor. That worries me.
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Ross  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2020 01:12:29(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi marylandmarklin,

A name is always nice to address you.

A word of caution. As you are upgrading an analogue loco did you change the bulbs for digital operation?

The old bulbs are 16V and digital bulbs are 22V. If you use the original bulbs they will get very hot and melt the surrounding plastic (light pipe)

You won't be able to change the default address of the decoder until you get a mobile station or 6021 or a central station. I suggest you find a Marklin person who lives near you to help you.

I would suggest to get a better decoder and change the bulbs for LED lights with a 1k current limiting resistor.

Dave stated the wire colours below and I have changed the description a little

Wire colors:
1). yellow = F0r negative wire to the rear headlight
2). gray = F0f negative wire to the front headlight
3). orange = +Plus common for functions

I noticed a blue wire going to the front / rear light & Motor. That worries me. I think the blue wire to the bulbs is joined with the orange wire.
Ross
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2020 08:50:15(UTC)
H0

The blue wire from the decoder is for the motor connection. It is not joined to the orange wire.

But as Ross spotted, here blue wires are most likely used to extend the orange wire.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Ross  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2020 09:23:36(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Tom,

I think marylandmarklin (name?) has used a blue wire between the bulbs and spliced the orange wire to the middle of the blue wire. He (name?) should confirm if this is true as it is hard to tell from the photo supplied.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The blue wire is for the motor connection. It is not joined to the orange wire and lights will not work as intended.

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
H0
Offline ktsolias  
#8 Posted : 11 May 2020 10:32:00(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
I think that your wiring is a bit messy....
You have to disconnect everything and start from the start follows exactly the colors and the plan in the manual or the ones that other users gave to you.

Keep in mind that with wrong connections is very easy to burn the decoder, if you haven't done it yet

Costas
Offline marylandmarklin  
#9 Posted : 11 May 2020 15:06:42(UTC)
marylandmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tom,

I think marylandmarklin (name?) has used a blue wire between the bulbs and spliced the orange wire to the middle of the blue wire. He (name?) should confirm if this is true as it is hard to tell from the photo supplied.

The blue wire is for the motor connection. It is not joined to the orange wire and lights will not work as intended.

Yes, sorry for the delayed response. The orange wire is spliced to the middle of the blue wire as I had extra blue wire provided from the kit. This blue wire is independent o f the blue wire that is used to connect with the motor.

Thanks,

Sahil
Thanks,
Sahil
Offline marylandmarklin  
#10 Posted : 11 May 2020 15:11:21(UTC)
marylandmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi marylandmarklin,

A name is always nice to address you.

A word of caution. As you are upgrading an analogue loco did you change the bulbs for digital operation?

The old bulbs are 16V and digital bulbs are 22V. If you use the original bulbs they will get very hot and melt the surrounding plastic (light pipe)

You won't be able to change the default address of the decoder until you get a mobile station or 6021 or a central station. I suggest you find a Marklin person who lives near you to help you.

I would suggest to get a better decoder and change the bulbs for LED lights with a 1k current limiting resistor.

Dave stated the wire colours below and I have changed the description a little

Wire colors:
1). yellow = F0r negative wire to the rear headlight
2). gray = F0f negative wire to the front headlight
3). orange = +Plus common for functions

I noticed a blue wire going to the front / rear light & Motor. That worries me. I think the blue wire to the bulbs is joined with the orange wire.

Yes, you're correct that the blue wire to the bulbs is joined with the orange wire. I checked again, and all the wires do go to the correct location. I am also replacing the bulbs with LEDs. Unfortunately, however, I do not have a station to change the default address of the decoder, as my current marklin set up is very small (two locomotives).

Thanks,

Sahil
Thanks,
Sahil
Offline marylandmarklin  
#11 Posted : 11 May 2020 15:12:55(UTC)
marylandmarklin

United States   
The blue wire from the decoder is for the motor connection. It is not joined to the orange wire.

But as Ross spotted, here blue wires are most likely used to extend the orange wire.

Yup that is correct, the blue wire extends the orange wire independent of the blue wire required for the motor.

Thanks,

Sahil
Thanks,
Sahil
Offline Ross  
#12 Posted : 12 May 2020 00:19:34(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Sahil,

Try and see if there is an ETE Chapters in your area to find someone close to you who maybe able to program the decoder for you.

My advice is to upgrade the decoder for better control.

Good luck.

Ross
Offline cintrans  
#13 Posted : 13 May 2020 01:09:13(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Originally Posted by: marylandmarklin Go to Quoted Post
I recently converted my Lufthansa Express BR 103 (Marklin 2868) to digital using the Marklin 60760 kit. The sodering and everything appears to be performed correctly, however when I run the locomotive onto the tracks with my DELTA DIGITAL controller, the locomotive disobeys the selected DELTA digital address and runs as if it is analog. Furthermore, the lights do not appear to work and the train appears to only run in one direction. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem before and how were they able to resolve it. The kit states that the factory mode of the decoder is the "steam" address for DELTA, but it doesn't appear to obey that address.

Thanks you in advance.

Hi Sahil

I have used the 60760 kit a few times and never had any issues with it, it seems you have the motor connected correctly, so assuming your controller is OK and the decoder is not damaged it should work...
Question:
When you move the control selector lets say to Diesel lok, can you still move the Lufthansa? or does the lok in any possition the controller is in?
Is your second lok a Delta lok?
If so, thus this lok works according the adresses on the controller? (steam, diesel, electric, etc...)

Jean-Pierre
Offline marylandmarklin  
#14 Posted : 14 May 2020 17:19:13(UTC)
marylandmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: marylandmarklin Go to Quoted Post

Thanks you in advance.

Hi Sahil

I have used the 60760 kit a few times and never had any issues with it, it seems you have the motor connected correctly, so assuming your controller is OK and the decoder is not damaged it should work...
Question:
When you move the control selector lets say to Diesel lok, can you still move the Lufthansa? or does the lok in any possition the controller is in?
Is your second lok a Delta lok?
If so, thus this lok works according the adresses on the controller? (steam, diesel, electric, etc...)

Jean-Pierre

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Under any position on the controller, with the exception of STOP of course, the lufthansa will move. My second lok is a DELTA and works according to the electric address. This loco was preinstalled with a DELTA decoder. I tried running the lufthansa under analog control and the train works in both directions for a few minute with lights etc. at slow speed, but now the train is not moving at all w/out lights. I'm not sure if heavy cleaning is involved.

Sahil
Thanks,
Sahil
Offline cintrans  
#15 Posted : 15 May 2020 02:05:32(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hi Sahil

So it looks like your other lok is set to address 24 (electric)
If it was me i would first confirm correct operation of the controller by changing the address in the other lok to 78
Easy to do just by switching dip switch # 4 to off (so only # 1 switch stay to on position)
If the other lok then responds only to "steam" it means the controller is working fine and the issue is with the Lufthansa....

I assume you cleaned up the motor housing and the gears when you installed the new 5 pole motor and magnet?
Did the motor run freely (is not stuck) when you assembled it?
Its not clear on your pictures where the brown wire is connected to, that should be a hooked up to a good grounding point, i normally solder them to the supplied lug that comes with the kit and goes to the motor shield.

If all the above is OK you could check if the motor is the issue or the decoder itself is bad, this will take a bit of simple ingenuity if you are up to that....

Using a simple 12V DC power supply (even better if it has adjustable voltage) you could feed the motor straight, after you disconnected the decoder from it, to see if it runs OK. Switching the polarity will spin the motor in the other direction....
If the motor runs the way it should like that, the decoder is most probably gone....

Hope this helps

Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans