Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ed_l  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2020 20:14:11(UTC)
ed_l

United States   
Hello

While running the 37046 (mfx) it began acting strangely, functions stopped working, MS2 showed a message saying mfx signal not received, etc..

Put it on programming track. When trying to add via Find loc (37046 is not in my MS2 db- needs update) I'd see mfx show up on the screen, loc would buzz a bit, but loc was added as DCC-x. Tried a couple of times no luck. Tried setting loc address to factory default no luck. Tried setting cv8 to 8, factory reset, no luck. MS2 showed timeout reading cv. Loc seems to still have some brains, touched motor with dc outputs from old transformer and motor and running leds worked correctly. Any ideas? If decoder is dead I will be pissed as loc has only run a few hours.

Ps put another mfx loc on test track and it was found. Rest of layout is still ok.

Thanks in advance,

Ed Confused

Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2020 20:52:38(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

Have you deleted and removed the loc from the ms2? I have seen this behaviour on my ECoS with mfx locs. Once removed it registers again.

Br, Peder
Offline ed_l  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2020 21:14:35(UTC)
ed_l

United States   
Hello Peder,

Yes deleted and removed after each attempt at registering.

Ed
Offline pederbc  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2020 22:53:38(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi again,

This is most likely a stupid question, but is mfx activated properly in the ms2? The reason I’m asking is because mfx isthe primary protocol and if disabled, the decoder will turn to use dcc. And as it’s using dcc it does seem to work.

Peder
Offline pederbc  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2020 22:56:20(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Also, there is no factory set adress for mfx, only for dcc and mm.
Offline ed_l  
#6 Posted : 06 May 2020 23:31:04(UTC)
ed_l

United States   
Hi Peder,

MS2 set to MFX,MM, and DCC. Set it just to MFX to simplify things. Still same result, a brief attempt at trying to register as MFX then (even though only MFX was set) it went thru the other
Marklin protocols!?!?!? but still same result. Well in any case learned there is no factory reset for MFX.

Ed

ps Read about out how Sweden is tackling the virus. May work, at this point who knows. In any case good luck.
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 06 May 2020 23:40:14(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Check the locomotive very carefully for shortcuts

The busing noise may be is a shortcut somewhere

Costas
Offline owidgie  
#8 Posted : 06 May 2020 23:42:28(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Your decoder may be dead going by the way the loc was running. One thing you can do is a factory re-set of your MS2.

Warning - This will erase all of your locos and set the MS back to German.

After that you can re-register your locos. DO NOT touch them until the registration is complete.

Lastly, there are no MFX locos in the database. Since they register themselves there is no need.

You can manually enter the loco as "MM" with the factory default address in the manual. You will have to set all of the functions and icons manually.

Also, the current software version for the MS2 is 3.112

Rick
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 07 May 2020 01:50:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Do you have an analog transformer? If yes, connect it to a short section of track. Place the locomotive on the track and move it forward, reverse and back.
Power down and put the locomotive back on the digital track and let the MS2 recognize it. Hopefully it will detect it. If not, you can try DCC or MM using the information in the instruction manual.
Seeing that you are in Poughkeepsie, you could give Robert Frowenfeld rjftrains.com (Katonah) a call and see what he suggests.

regards

Mike C
Offline ed_l  
#10 Posted : 07 May 2020 04:36:47(UTC)
ed_l

United States   
Thanks all,

Tried all the suggestions except the MS2 reset. Will give Robert Frowenfeld a buzz.

Ed
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 07 May 2020 09:59:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ed_l Go to Quoted Post
37046 is not in my MS2 db- needs update
It will never be in the database - mfx locos are not included in the database.

Originally Posted by: ed_l Go to Quoted Post
I'd see mfx show up on the screen, loc would buzz a bit, but loc was added as DCC-x.
Was it DCC-3?
Maybe the mfx sender on the decoder is dead. If you disable mfx in the decoder then maybe you can run the loco using DCC.
For a test you could set the MS2 to DCC only and try if the loco responds to the DCC address.
For a test you could set the MS2 to MM only and try if the loco responds to the MM address.
The loco will not respond to MM or DCC addresses if mfx is enabled in the loco decoder and in the MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage