Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tomdakl  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2020 13:11:12(UTC)
tomdakl

New Zealand   
Hi,

has anybody tried to replace the friction tires / Haftreifen on the current model VT 98 of the Schienenbus?
The disassembly, replacement and reassembly are, in my opinion, unusually complicated as one has to take apart the whole model, complete with separation of the decoder PCB from the main one etc.

I have to admit I am somewhat stunned on the complexity that Märklin permitted for this model. Not a very confidence inspiring direction.

Or is it just me?

Changing Traction Tires (E656500) on the Rail Bus
• Lay the motor car upside down. Remove body from floor with the help of a flat blade screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver at the end of the car near the coupler under floor and carefully “lift” the floor from the body.
• Loosen screw. The upper and lower circuit boards are connected by flexible ribbon cables. Be careful when lifting the upper circuit board from the interior detailing
• Loosen four Phillips head screws, gently press the snap in hooks on the interior inwards with a flat blade screwdriver and lift the interior detail piece from the floor.
• Do not damage the cable connections from the speaker pressed into the interior detail piece
• Loosen Phillips head screw in order to lift up the lower circuit board. Lift the motor up at the same time as the circuit board. Be careful, do not damage the flexible cable connection between the upper and lower circuit board D/E.
• Lift up the compression spring.
• Remove the coupler drawbar and springs. Important! The bronze spring falls easily out of the coupler pocket.
• Turn the floor around and unsnap the pickup shoe according to the instructions that come with the rail bus. Loosen four Phillips head screws. Slowly lift the floor from the die-cast metal part.
• Important! Wheel set without traction tires rests on two compression springs.
• Wheel set can now be removed. Change the traction tires.
• When reinstalling the wheel sets, be careful that the ribs on the die-cast part grab into the slot in the wheel set mounting shell.
• The rail bus is reassembled in reverse order. Pay attention to the installation of the current conducting coupling and the correct position of the interior detail piece, the circuit boards, and the body

Confused
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2020 13:23:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
You are quite right. My VT98 is the version with the SoftDriveSinus motor. I love it. I used it so much that I have to replace both axles because of surface treatment is worn out.
Yes the design is very packed and you are in danger of losing the suspension springs.
Here are my VT 98 and VT95

Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 29 April 2020 18:15:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2020 04:37:23(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
That is really nice, nice trains and layout. I have a VT98 railbus "pair" but what is that small unit? Extra power?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2020 04:58:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
That is really nice, nice trains and layout. I have a VT98 railbus "pair" but what is that small unit? Extra power?

It is the Insider railbus with a single axle trailer for bicycles and luggage.

Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2020 05:00:10(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Ah, a trailer, that is pretty neat.
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 02 May 2020 06:44:46(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Mmmm sounds like it might be easier to sell the set when tires are due, and buy a new one!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 02 May 2020 07:35:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Mmmm sounds like it might be easier to sell the set when tires are due, and buy a new one!

So, you'll buy the one someone else is selling because it needs its tyres replacing ... Blushing Blink BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 02 May 2020 08:28:35(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Not bl..dy likely!