Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obb_taurus  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2020 19:10:30(UTC)
obb_taurus

I finally put an order in for the Lux E9630 cleaning car set at my dealer, unfortunately he does not have stock at the moment for this set. Due to covid, his shipping costs from Germany have gone up 850% so he will not be ordering until that comes down. I have been trying to find somewhere in the USA which carries this set but I'm not having much success and was hoping someone might be able to point me to a dealer with a comparable price to my dealer. I am ordering it from a dealer in Canada and he's selling it for $500 CDN (~$350 USD).

Thanks
Offline xpsensation  
#2 Posted : 26 April 2020 20:44:10(UTC)
xpsensation

Canada   
I see Euro Rail Hobbies in British Columbia, LUX-E9631. Not sure what the difference is though. I have purchased from them often and have had great success.

Thanks
Offline obb_taurus  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2020 21:39:32(UTC)
obb_taurus

Actually that is where I have my order in for the 9630. The 9631 is for DC.
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 26 April 2020 21:54:25(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I have multiple things on order with a European dealer, and some eBay purchases all of which can not be shipped at present. I think the reality is we all need to be a little patient in these times.
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 27 April 2020 01:46:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have bought many of my trains from ERH and I highly recommend them also. I have also looked for other sources but so far i have not found one.

Actually I was just about to email Walter and see what the status of those are in this messed up time. I do see that they are still listed on their website though and everything that I have read about them is positive. Please keep us posted on what happens with that.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#6 Posted : 27 April 2020 10:09:58(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
surely, it looks like a useful tool if you have a huge layout, but for this amount I'd rather buy a couple of mid price locos or a BIG nice loco. My two cents :-)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Jay
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 27 April 2020 15:13:07(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
.. for this amount I'd rather buy a couple of mid price locos or a BIG nice loco. My two cents :-)

$350 USD does not buy even one mid price Märklin loco where I live. The last high quality Märklin loco I bought cost over $800!

For me it is partly just laziness I suppose. I have six mainlines that are each about 20 meters long and I can vacuum my track and clean the rails by hand. But it takes a good while, sometimes causes issues and access to some parts is difficult. Plus that is time when I am not running my trains. ThumbDown

I have several locos which are extremely sensitive to any current disruption and if I can automate the cleaning process without a huge expense I am very interested. ThumpUp

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline obb_taurus  
#8 Posted : 27 April 2020 19:35:51(UTC)
obb_taurus

I'm actually with Jim on this one, my layout isn't huge and I certainly don't have any track sections remotely close to 20m in length, the length of my whole layout is 5m but even at that size trying to keep the tracks clean is a pain. With the space I have, I really had no choice but to build a wall to wall layout where it can be very difficult to reach certain areas therefore I have problems keeping those areas clean, if I'd clean it manually on a regular basis by hand, I'd eventually start looking like a pretzel. Sure, it would be nice to buy a new loco or possibly a new set but as Jim pointed out, some locos are extremely sensitive to current disruption and I have my share of those locos so as much as I'd like a new loco, I rather would have my existing locos not get stuck all over my layout.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by obb_taurus
Offline ocram63_uk  
#9 Posted : 27 April 2020 23:43:51(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I have always had 3 x 2 meter layouts so can't compare with you guys.
I scratch built a track cleaning car ages ago, just to give it a go, and it worked fine for my needs :-)
My concern is for the price, it is way too expensive. That's all :-(
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 28 April 2020 03:40:03(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post

My concern is for the price, it is way too expensive. That's all :-(

I definitely agree about that! I have cut way back on train purchases because the prices today are crazy, although there are still a few that I can't pass up.

That is the same for everything today though and compared to new locos this set is not super expensive and looks like it could serve a good purpose, particularly for people with a lot of track to clean. And it could be really helpful if you have areas with limited accessibility.

A luxury item for sure but so is having any model trains in today's world.
Regards,
Jim

Offline PMPeter  
#11 Posted : 28 April 2020 15:21:28(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I bought this set several years ago and must say for the cost, some of the cheaper alternatives work just as effectively or perhaps even better. The vacuum car continues to work flawlessly and I occasionally pick up small plastic parts that I didn't even know had come off of a loco or car.

The track cleaning car stopped working after about a year. The brush rotates freely with every power up, but will not rotate when pulling the car. I contacted LUX and they have given me all of the points to check. The alternative now is to send it back to LUX which from North America could end up costing close to the value when considering double shipping and non-warranty repair.

So in my opinion, not one of my best purchases.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter