Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LesL  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2020 14:28:46(UTC)
LesL

Hi
I am converting an analog loco (3137) using the 60944 motor upgrade and the 60972 decoder kit. I am still using the original lights, though I plan to change those as well. The locomotive ran OK before the conversion.

When I test out the converted loco, it is not recognised automatically, but is recognised as DCC-3 if I search for it (I am using an MS2).

When I try to run the loco, the wheels turn ca a quarter revolution then wait for a bit, then another quarter revolution. Additionally, if the lights are turned on, they flash once just before the wheels turn.

I have checked the wheels and they seem to be moving freely. I have checked the connections and they seem to be OK.

Can anyone suggest what else I might check?

Thanks for any assistance.
Offline bph  
#2 Posted : 26 April 2020 15:48:31(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
have you checked your wiring ? make sure that it is correct and that you have not accidentally shortened something. Check the wiring first.

The decoder should portably identify as mLD3 first time. you could try a decoder reset and make sure your MS2 has the mfx protocol activated.

as for motor, have you selected the correct type and done a calibration ?. (I believe the correct type for you is high performance c90)

Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2020 17:47:13(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: LesL Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I am converting an analog loco (3137) using the 60944 motor upgrade and the 60972 decoder kit. I am still using the original lights, though I plan to change those as well. The locomotive ran OK before the conversion.

When I test out the converted loco, it is not recognised automatically, but is recognised as DCC-3 if I search for it (I am using an MS2).

When I try to run the loco, the wheels turn ca a quarter revolution then wait for a bit, then another quarter revolution. Additionally, if the lights are turned on, they flash once just before the wheels turn.

I have checked the wheels and they seem to be moving freely. I have checked the connections and they seem to be OK.

Can anyone suggest what else I might check?

Thanks for any assistance.

I'll second what bph just posted: check your wiring!!
The behaviour you describe (little jumps, lights "flashing) is usually reflecting a shorted decoder that shuts itself off under overload/shortcircuit

Do not attempt any further "test" before you check this!!

Since you are still using the old lighting set up, you should normally **not ** have connected the orange wire which should be left unconnected if you still have the lights return via the chassis
In doubt, just take a few pics of your wiring and we'll see if anything else may have happened..
Cheers
Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline LesL  
#4 Posted : 26 April 2020 18:19:45(UTC)
LesL

Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Hi
have you checked your wiring ? make sure that it is correct and that you have not accidentally shortened something. Check the wiring first.

The decoder should portably identify as mLD3 first time. you could try a decoder reset and make sure your MS2 has the mfx protocol activated.

as for motor, have you selected the correct type and done a calibration ?. (I believe the correct type for you is high performance c90)

Hi bph

I have checked the wiring and cannot find any problems. The MS2 is set to mfx/MM/DCC.

Out of interest I plugged in a LokPilot decoder that I have spare and that was detected and the loco worked fine. So the problem seems to be with the mLD3 decoder. It seems that the decoder is not being detected properly. The MS2 will find the decoder as DCC-3 (although the loco will not run properly), but will not recognise it as mfx. I have an ESU lokprogrammer, but not Marklin's programmer, so I am not sure how to test the mLD3.
Offline ktsolias  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2020 19:49:32(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Is the first time that you used this decoder with MS2???

If the decoder is already register on the MS2 then react this way if you use the "FIND" command

Check if the same decoder was registered before.

Or try all the locos that you are not sure what exactly is with the decoder on the loco alone in a programming track

Costas
Offline LesL  
#6 Posted : 26 April 2020 20:32:17(UTC)
LesL

Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Is the first time that you used this decoder with MS2???

If the decoder is already register on the MS2 then react this way if you use the "FIND" command

Check if the same decoder was registered before.

Or try all the locos that you are not sure what exactly is with the decoder on the loco alone in a programming track

Costas

Hi Costas

The decoder is new and hasn't been used before.
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 26 April 2020 23:04:08(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Your decoder could also have ben “tested” by someone else, and they have disabled mfx. DCC-3 is probably referring to the default address 3 in dcc mode.

Have you tried a decoder reset? I believe you have to do it by enter the cv 8 and value 8, since mfx is not working. How to do it, is described in the MS2 manual).

If the reset is successful, you should the enter the correct motor type, and calibrate it.

Other here might have some other suggestions also. But there is also the possibility that you have a faulty decoder.

Offline ed_l  
#8 Posted : 26 April 2020 23:58:19(UTC)
ed_l

United States   
I have seen odd behavior registering MFX locs even unmodifed one. Typically it is due to a slider and/or wheels that are not immacuately clean .
Before registering I will slide the loc up and down the test track several times. I also use the shortest possible test track for registration. And even
with clean slider, wheels and the short test track I have seen flukey mfx registration behavior.

Sometines the MS2 will register the new loc as DCC-x in one available slot but if you wait the MS2 will register the new loc as MFX in another available slot.
The DCC-x slot will not control the loc but the MFX slot will.

Ed
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 27 April 2020 03:15:09(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
You mentioned that you have not yet changed the lighting in your 3137. I could not locate this loco in the Märklin database to see an exploded diagram to determine how the lights are wired however.

Are the lights grounded to the chassis of the loco as they often were in analog locos? If that is still the case the ground for the lights needs to go to the decoder and not to the loco chassis, which can cause issues. I have not seen it cause the problems that you are seeing but I have seen it have other bad effects on digital conversions and that might be worth a check in this case.

Good luck!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 27 April 2020 20:44:12(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
You mentioned that you have not yet changed the lighting in your 3137. I could not locate this loco in the Märklin database to see an exploded diagram to determine how the lights are wired however.

Are the lights grounded to the chassis of the loco as they often were in analog locos? If that is still the case the ground for the lights needs to go to the decoder and not to the loco chassis, which can cause issues. I have not seen it cause the problems that you are seeing but I have seen it have other bad effects on digital conversions and that might be worth a check in this case.

Good luck!

dickinsonj, you might be on to something, but as far as i know there should be no problem using chassis as lights ground, but then the orange wire must not be used. yes the light will flicker, but it should work.

as for exploded drawing you can probably use this Nohab https://static.maerklin....09cf782cb41434542613.pdf

LesL, in order to test the decoder you could unsolder all non-essential wires, except the 4 wires need to get it running, keep only red/brown and green/blue.

Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 27 April 2020 21:25:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
...as far as i know there should be no problem using chassis as lights ground, but then the orange wire must not be used. yes the light will flicker, but it should work.

On my first decoder install I left the lights grounded to the chassis and you are correct, that did make them flicker but they still worked. But that loco also ran very poorly and a forum member said that could be the result of the incorrect grounding as well.

I actually don't think that would cause it to not register but I have never used an MS2, so I was just guessing. I do know that Märklin says specifically in the installation instructions for gen 3 decoders that everything has to be grounded through the decoder for proper performance.

Hopefully someone else will have better information about this but that is something that I would correct, since it needs to be done anyway. All of my mSD/3 decoders work perfectly and register just as the factory ones do, so perhaps this decoder is defective and needs to be replaced.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline bph  
#12 Posted : 28 April 2020 00:34:01(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I actually don't think that would cause it to not register but I have never used an MS2, so I was just guessing. I do know that Märklin says specifically in the installation instructions for gen 3 decoders that everything has to be grounded through the decoder for proper performance.

Hopefully someone else will have better information about this but that is something that I would correct, since it needs to be done anyway. All of my mSD/3 decoders work perfectly and register just as the factory ones do, so perhaps this decoder is defective and needs to be replaced.

As I understand the manual for gen 3 decoders, it’s a recommendation to get flicker free lights. Please also remember that the smoke generator uses chassis ground. But there might be something I have missed.

As I have never connected a gen 3 decoder the old way, I did a quick test this evening with an msd3 decoder. (I’m actually doing an upgrade, so the locomotive was open). connected the yellow light cable to a normal bulb and locomotive chassis. no problem with registration on a cs3, or the driving. But the light flickered.
Offline vmsysprog  
#13 Posted : 28 April 2020 02:08:40(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
I am having the same problem, so I hope a solution is found and posted here.

Steve
Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 28 April 2020 03:46:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
...no problem with registration on a cs3, or the driving. But the light flickered.

Yes, as I should have expected - the easy answer is seldom the real one, but it would have been an easy fix. Good testing to show that the decoder is not affected by the other ground path. I would think that it must be a defective decoder in this case. I don't see what else it could be, since the it worked fine with the LokPilot but not with the mD/3.
Regards,
Jim

Offline ocram63_uk  
#15 Posted : 28 April 2020 09:46:31(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi in post #4 you say that you swapped the Marklin decoder with an ESU and with this one the loco works.
AFAIK wiring coding for Marklin is different from the wiring coding for rest of world DCC.
How did you manage to get the ESU decoder to work ?
a Marklin loco has Marklin cabling in place and you can't just plug in any decoder
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 28 April 2020 09:49:18(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
a Marklin loco has Marklin cabling in place and you can't just plug in any decoder
Modern decoders have 21MTC sockets and don't care about wire colours.
And even decoders with older sockets do not care about wire colours...

From 2004 until about 2011 Märklin used ESU decoders in their locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline ocram63_uk  
#17 Posted : 28 April 2020 10:10:24(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Tom thank you for you input.
I have seen which decoder he's using and indeed it has a 21 pin socket. The wired PCB, the one with the male pins, has two sets of cables coming out of it.
How have this been connected ?
Somebody mentioned to leave only the 4 main cables: motor and track only and see what happens.
Has this been done ?
I have always soldered the decoders directly to motor, track feeds and lights.
I did some conversions using 8 pin sockets but soldered with DCC cabling as I do not like Marklin decoders and I don't care about mfx, but this is my opinion.
I own an ECoS so why bother with mfx.
To be fair even the new generation decoders are a waste of time and 'space' as I will never use more than 10 cv values if I'm lucky and I've always been curious as to who uses all of them :-)

But this is only IMHO and I do not want to start a digita war :-)
Offline LesL  
#18 Posted : 03 May 2020 12:56:59(UTC)
LesL

Hi. Thanks for all of the suggestions :-)
A quick update - I have now tested the mDL3 using a Marklin decoder programmer and it seems to be OK, though still not detected properly by the MS2 (Might try turning off DCC on the decoder to see if that helps).
I tried reducing the number of connections to just track feed/motor, but that made no difference.
Went over the connections with a voltmeter - no evidence of a short.
The LokPilot decoder still works fine as the 21 pin Marklin harness with the decoder kit seems to be NEM compliant (even if the colours are not).
The loco still has the original lights, i.e. grounded to the chassis. I had planned to replace those and now have the new lights. Will give that a go and see if it makes a difference.
Offline LesL  
#19 Posted : 03 May 2020 14:44:33(UTC)
LesL

Have now installed the new lights (610080/604180) and loco works flawlessly with the LokPilot 4 M decoder.
Marklin mLD3 (21MTC) decoder still not recognised as mfx and same behaviour in DCC mode as before. Firmware checked and up to date (according to LokProgrammer).
Not sure what else to try at the moment.
Offline vmsysprog  
#20 Posted : 03 May 2020 14:51:27(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
As a follow up to post 13, above. I found out that the 60116 I was using has a problem. It was sending the signal down only one of the two wires that connect to the track. I found this using an ESU decoder tester. The 60116 is brand new and I was getting very frustrated because there shouldn’t be a problem with new, out the box equipment.
Steve
Offline Henrik Schütz  
#21 Posted : 14 May 2020 23:26:41(UTC)
Henrik Schütz

Sweden   
Can you tell more about the testing of thr 60116?

Regards

Henrik Schütz, Stockholm