Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tolis  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2003 18:34:08(UTC)
Tolis

Hi everyone

My 18.4 stops abruptly and then starts again, giving white smoke from the motor at the instant it stops. The lights remain on, though, indicating no contact problem. I suspect that it short-circuits for an instant.

Since there is no parts drawing for this lok, please tell me where to look for mishaps, in order to avoid having to dismantle the whole thing.

Thank you
Tolis

Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2003 20:32:33(UTC)
Webmaster

It does indeed sound like some kind of short (too much current drawn) and the decoder cuts out... Smoke??? Sounds serious indeed... What you should do is take off the loco body, drive the loco again to see what happens. If nothing happens, then you have a short towards the metal body from the motor... If the problem persists, you should check that the motor can move freely by turning the wheels of the loco. There should be no "hickups" while turning, but they should turn the motor around with an even speed.

At least it is something to start with, but these kinds of problems usually mean you will have to dismantle the motor too, to make sure everything is mechanically ok and properly oiled...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Tolis  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2003 23:23:36(UTC)
Tolis

Thanks for your time WM.

It was indeed with the body off that i discovered the problem and after i had cleaned lots of excess smoke fluid that apparently had dripped in from the smoke stack. I dont know if smoke fluid is a conductor and could ve caused the short.The irony is, that with the body on i can manage 4 minutes with one hiccup and every new round is getting larger.

The motor doesnt seem like a contained entity "inside a cylinder" so i fear that it will come apart if i start loosening screws. Should I look elsewhere, like what is providing the motor with excess current?

Thanks again

Offline perz  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2003 00:17:15(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
The motor may "fall apart" if you start loosening screws, but it is rather easy to assemble it again. The only small parts are the screws and the two coal brushes, make sure you don't lose them.

I don't think smoke fluid is conductive, but at least it explains the smoke. If you had got white smoke from the motor without having smoke fluid in it, it would have been really serious.

I think you have some temporary short circuit in the motor, perhaps caused by particles from a damaged coal brush. The problem could hardly be caused by the decoder supplying too much current. I think the motor will run normally (but very fast) even with the full power supplied.