Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nzrabbitty  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2020 23:32:17(UTC)
nzrabbitty

New Zealand   
Hi All

Just a quick explaination.
I am not all that financial and are trying to set up A largish Marklin layout,
So are using the M track Analogue system.
But when I are on Trade Me or Ebay it can be confusing With some parts described using diferent Product codes for the same Item.
I are using a computer program SCARM but it has hit the Dual Monitor Bug. So it is down for a period.
and I no longer can use the Parts list section in that program.

Does anyone know where I can download or Copy the full M track Product Codes (mainly the 51** / 52** ) lines

Running Marklin without a prper dealership here in NZ makes this orkward

NZRabbitty

I Have found A Cheap and safe way to Have an Exciting Life
Get Married And Give your Wife A Hard Time
You Know Your Going To Get A Thick Ear
BUT you never know When

Cheers
Chris
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2020 01:07:52(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Chris,

M-track geometry is fairly straight-forward, unless you start introducing some of the unusual curves into the mix and especially when your plan wanders off into the hills and valleys before returning to reconnect. For example, there are a few curves that are actually 'return' curves mainly for turnouts to achieve or maintain specific track spacing for stations etc. You can of course use them any way you like but at first glance they can look similar. Get one into a circle in error and nothing will line up.

Hope this is not a dumb question for you but are you aware that the code for all M H0 track (M, K & C) is found somewhere on the piece itself? On M-track it's easy, it's printed in black along the underside of the track-bed where it's flattened over. Many a modeler has had a 'eureka' moment upon realising this. If you know then that's one hurdle out the way.

The are two parallel circles for the most common use, 5100 & 5200. These codes have been in place since 1957 with the new numbering system. Prior to '57 the tracks were the same, but had different codes. 36xx etc. They used studs from 1953, prior to that solid center rail.

What literature do you have? - obviously some catalogues are indispensable. Can I also suggest some of the many track-plan books that were published - these can give ideas and you may see an example you like and simply copy it verbatim, either an entire layout, or portions of one that you can mix 'n match.

But SCARM should also help you quite a bit. I've only loosely played with it but many good layout design programs have an 'auto-close' function where you have two ends that don't quite align and the program can calculate the required piece/s to make a geometrically correct join. If it has trouble, sometimes you may need to remove some of your own tracks to give it more to work with. Some experts with SCARM will surely be able to help here.

This is where a good selection of 'make-up' pieces, straight and curved, will be invaluable.

Feel free to upload your intended trackplan, either from SCARM, or a hard-drawn draft for others to help.

Regards

Steve
Wellington
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2020 05:58:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: nzrabbitty Go to Quoted Post

Does anyone know where I can download or Copy the full M track Product Codes (mainly the 51** / 52** ) lines

Download a catalogue from the early 2000s and you will have a complete list of M track parts that were available. If buying from TradeMe be wary of parts with 3600 series numbers as these are a slightly different range, although compatable. There are links somewhere in this forum to a European site that has scanned old catalogues for download. I don't have the link handy sorry, but hopefully someone will point you at it.

The other item you should look at is the track plan books, along with the thick book "Marklin and the prototype operation" or something like that. It also has information about track geometry and is available as a download.

Running Marklin without a prper dealership here in NZ makes this orkward

NZRabbitty

There is an NZ Marklin dealership, Toottoot, that operates out of Invercargill, used to be in Christchurch.

Offline TrainIride  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2020 13:36:49(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Hi,

hope it will help you.

M-track-1.jpeg

M-track-2.jpeg

M-track-3.jpeg

M-track-4.jpeg

Best Regards
Joël
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline nzrabbitty  
#5 Posted : 17 April 2020 15:11:37(UTC)
nzrabbitty

New Zealand   
Thanks They Are Better than the ones I were trying to use.
BUT you never know When

Cheers
Chris
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2020 00:11:49(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thanks They Are Better than the ones I were trying to use.

As per my earlier post #2, "What literature do you have? - obviously some catalogues are indispensable."

If some pages in french are better than what you have been using, what have you been using? - Catalogues are readily available as downloads and a good selection is indispensable.

You can get many of them at this site - the site is Spanish but the catalogues are mostly English - if you use Chrome the site should translate 'on the fly' for easier navigation.

http://www.lctm.info/Secciones/Trenes/Biblioteca/Catalogos/index.php

Below are two images of how the site looks, the first one for the annual catalogues, and the second one for the other reference material they have. Note that these could be taken down any time at the request of M. so I'd grab what you can, while you can. Just click on "Library" in the site to select which archive you want. Some people like actual printed catalogues, of course I can't argue with that, but these are a good substitute while you build up your collection and you can of course print these off yourself if you have a reasonable colour printer.

Hope this helps BigGrin

LCTM-CataloguePage.jpg

LCTM-BookPage.jpg

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 18 April 2020 00:13:02(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
By the way Chris, in case you hadn't seen them, if you would like some hard-copies also, there are also several on TM right now....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=marklin+catalogue

TMCatalogues-20200418.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline nzrabbitty  
#8 Posted : 18 April 2020 15:08:50(UTC)
nzrabbitty

New Zealand   
I did have a couple of Old Battered Bedraggled Catalogues from late 60's and one from 86 but they were used to death.
I have been to the site you showed but only downloaded the 2 catalogue files
didn't see the other files but I will be back there having a nosy

We are on CoVID-19 lock down Only esential moving around and only very local
So are using the time to do things that I have trouble been able to do it as one run
BUT you never know When

Cheers
Chris