Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mbarreto  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2020 17:08:37(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Hello,

I hope you are healthy!

I found a video in youtube about motor comparison. The results are against my expectations.
The durability of the cheap motor is not tested by obvious reasons.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline lewistrain  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2020 23:28:28(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
It's a good video, nice straight forward test.
It's important for people to understand that a these little disposable motors are basically a standard item.
They are made by many many different manufacturers and will be available for decades to come.
They are super smooth, cheap, have good electrical characteristics and are as common as corona virus.
All too often I see or hear people saying they need the relay,motor,seal or whatever for a particular brand of item and they carry on demanding a genuine unit, not realising that the manufacturer themselves does not make the item, but merely purchases them from a selection of suppliers, and model trains are no exception.

The old DCM coffee grinder is reliable but too loud and has too many moving parts to be oiled or to catch hair.
I look forward to modifying a lot of my vintage fleischmann and marklin to have standard disposable motors that are smoother and quieter, it'll be great.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by lewistrain
Offline mbarreto  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2020 10:39:35(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: lewistrain Go to Quoted Post
It's a good video, nice straight forward test.
It's important for people to understand that a these little disposable motors are basically a standard item.
They are made by many many different manufacturers and will be available for decades to come.
They are super smooth, cheap, have good electrical characteristics and are as common as corona virus.
All too often I see or hear people saying they need the relay,motor,seal or whatever for a particular brand of item and they carry on demanding a genuine unit, not realising that the manufacturer themselves does not make the item, but merely purchases them from a selection of suppliers, and model trains are no exception.

The old DCM coffee grinder is reliable but too loud and has too many moving parts to be oiled or to catch hair.
I look forward to modifying a lot of my vintage fleischmann and marklin to have standard disposable motors that are smoother and quieter, it'll be great.

What I think is that some of the cheap are good and others cheap are not. As we don't know the brand and the model of the motor, it is not easy to know the ones that are good and the ones that are not.

Relative to the old DCMs, IMO it is good idea to not use them in the new toolings but I don't go as far as you in replace the ones I already have. I like them as they are and it's kind of good heritage. They still work good today and are very powerful ( I refer to the DC 5 stars DCM).

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline rrf  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2020 13:04:10(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello Friends,

I go thru a large number of 6 and 12 volt motors for my other hobby addiction (RC Model Warship Combat). Regardless of sinking on battle day, invariably motors get wet. Even with the best post battle / post sink care (immediate isopropal bath and lubrication with Labelle), motors at best only last a few seasons. Below are some observations about replacement motors gathered over the last 20 year or so:

• There is a difference between manufactures. For example, I have found the best weight versus power ratios come from Maxon motors. They tend to be smaller, lighter and draw much less power than alternatives with similar RPM and torque ratings. They are also extremely quiet. That said, Maxon motors tend to be expensive so I limit myself to the second hand market and only use them when I need to (smaller models such as cruisers).
  • Mabuchi motors (a Japanese company) are my favorite "General Use Motor" choice. They perform well. They last for multiple years and are relatively inexpensive. Of course they draw more power and are heavier than more expensive choices. In larger models this does not matter.
  • There are countless Chinese manufactured motors. They can be very confusing to choose from. Often they attempt to loosely follow Mabuchi part numbers. Be careful though as a generic "380" motor from China may not be the same size or have the same ratings as a Mabuchi 380. One must carefully read the spec sheet to make sure you are purchasing the motor you expect. Reliability wise, I am still making up my mind and have yet to find a brand I would recommend.
  • Brush-less motors have recently become prevalent in hobby circles. Mostly in RC airplanes and cars where their performance characteristics are important enough to folks, to pay for their additional cost. As they require differnt Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs), I have not used them in my ships. The reason I mention them here is that if one is replacing a lok's motor, it is important not to replace a brush-less motor with a motor that uses brushes or vise-versa.

I hope some of you find this information useful.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by rrf
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2020 01:15:26(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

What I think is that some of the cheap are good and others cheap are not. As we don't know the brand and the model of the motor, it is not easy to know the ones that are good and the ones that are not.

Relative to the old DCMs, IMO it is good idea to not use them in the new toolings but I don't go as far as you in replace the ones I already have. I like them as they are and it's kind of good heritage. They still work good today and are very powerful ( I refer to the DC 5 stars DCM).

Miguel

Agree with you totally, I like the old motors, and for me thay are proper märklin motors. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the new motors also, but its hard to actually get information about what type motor they use in a locomotive. I find that a cheap DC motor, don't give same quality feeling.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline rugauger  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2020 11:51:53(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
I mainly run older stock, either 5-pole DCMs or FCMs with HAMO magnets. No real (cheap) alternatives there, I think.
Richard