Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Norton1972  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2020 01:19:19(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
My BR 80 yard loko has the newer relex couplers on it. And they don't hook to anything of mine. All of my cars have the older couplers. What can I use to replace these things?

Thanks
Steve
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2020 15:41:13(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Steve

No sure about your (Märklin?) BR 80 as it could be a TM800, a 3000, or quite a number of other Märklin models.
The Relex coupling is definitely the good type to use if your rolling stock has older couplers.
IMO you should check the height adjustment and the possibly missing spring to bring back the Relex to the center.
May be pictures and more info on your BR 80 would help
Cheers
Jean
Offline Norton1972  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2020 21:22:29(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
It's the BR-80 014 yard engine. The couplers don't close tight enough and the piece the old style coupler should latch on to is at an angle so the couple simply slides off. I bought one of the coupler adjusters and went over all of my cars so they work very well. I took one end apart and know how it works, it just doesn't lock down completely and there is nothing to hold the old style couplers in place.

Frustrating - -

Be well,
Steve
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2020 11:50:40(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Steve
My understanding now is your loco is a BR 80 with Telex couplers (not Relex). Like this one -->37068 BR 80 014.png
This recent Telex coupling does not work with old-style Märklin couplers because the mobile hook is not big enough to catch old-style buckles.
So you have to have a recent car hooked to your locomotive in between your old cars/
Stay safe
Jean
Offline Norton1972  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2020 20:31:37(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Yes Jean, that is it. I am going to use my dremel to adjust the angle of the inside of the block and lower my old couplers down a bit so that they will catch. It's a magnificent idea, the new couplers, but I can't understand why Maerklin didn't take this into consideration. Out with the old and in with the new I guess. But I think I can modify it. If it doesn't work I will replace the new couplers with old style. They aren't very expensive and clip in and out.

Thanks,
Steve