Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline doublereefed  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2020 22:43:39(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
I'd like to convert a few of the Märklin umbauwagen to hook couplers. Is there a best practice for this? I see the hooks offered for freight cars, but looking for a good solution. I'm sure somebody has solved this problem.

Thanks,

-Richard
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2020 23:32:12(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I don't know if it's possible if your umbauwagens are very old; on older freight wagons you can't mount hook couplings
( At least not without modifying the wagon ) Cool

On all versions I have it's just plug-and-play, mine mostly comes from starter sets 55031, 55033 and 55037 BigGrin

If you look at the end of a wagon, and it has a small square hole ( approx. 3x3mm ) in the middle between the buffers,
above the present coupling, this is where you mount the hook coupling - and then of course remove the present coupling Cool

I don't know if you'll get problems on smaller radius's, I've never tried BigGrin

It's quite common to make "pairs", so you have two umbauwagen with hook-couplings between them,
and then the plastic claw couplings at the ends of the pairs BigGrin

Märklin also lists on their home page that: "Automatic claw couplers can be replaced with reproduction prototype couplers."

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/58093/

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline doublereefed  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2020 00:42:48(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
Purrelum... now that you described it, I can see that square hole on the frame. Good plan... I will create pairs with claw between, and hooks at each end. I'm running on 3m radii so no problems I should think.

And now that I look at my different types of freight cars, yes I have the problem you describe. I guess just drill out the frame at 3mm... then square up the hole with a knife... it looks like there's no room for the spring and such. It looks like surgery is required.

claw - 1.jpeg

And, is this the correct part to order to convert the cars that do in fact have that square mounting hole? They don't look the same as the set that came with a flat car that I bought.

https://www.marklin.com/...s/details/article/56101/

Thanks!

-Richard

Offline doublereefed  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2020 02:44:38(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2020 22:34:10(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   

Originally Posted by: doublereefed Go to Quoted Post
Good plan... I will create pairs with claw between, and hooks at each end.

Opposite, hooks between to make them close coupled and claws at the ends - if you want the claws at all Cool

I guess just drill out the frame at 3mm... then square up the hole with a knife...

Buy at set of small files, one of them is usually square and they're less than 10$, and will make the work soooo much easier BigGrin

I found the correct ones:

In theory they are all the same, and for some strange reason have the same item number, even though the older sets are a bit different Cool

The set you found on the Märklin page are the new ones ( Hübner type ), which includes the "square metal piece with a hook",
which is used to hang the un-used part of the coupling. This is very nice to have, because the un-used coupling hang a bit too
low when not being used, and thus touches the rails in turnouts etc.

The older version ( Märklin type ) locks via the spring, the newer version has a separate locking piece BigGrin

Male sure to buy them, if buying online, from a place where they show pictures of what you get, otherwise you don't
know for sure if it's the old or the new type they'll send you Cool

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline doublereefed  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2020 05:19:29(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
Markus, Purellum,

Thank you for many replies on DB rolling stock.

Can you take another question? I've been watching Spur 1 videos on Youtube, and have occasionally seen this type of 3 axle packwagen used with umbauwagen, but also used as a last car ("caboose") on a freight train. Is this prototypical, were these 3 axle packwagens used this way?

packwagen.jpg

I would love a 2 axle packwagen like this, but they are REALLY expensive. Sigh.

2axlepackwagen.jpg

Thanks!

-Richard