Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2020 19:20:05(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
I'm off to St. Moritz next weekend for ski holiday in the Swiss Alps. Does anyone know of any Marklin shops in Zurich or St. Moritz?

Thanks!
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2020 19:53:39(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
If I may post a bit of publicity for my shop list: https://www.stefanunholz.ch/page3/shops.html

St. Moritz only has one shop with a stock of probably not more than eight locomotives (most of them probably not even Marklin), Zurich has a few. Please also beware of Swiss opening hours (shops rarely open on Sundays and often closed on Mondays).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline rbw993  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2020 21:14:14(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Stefan,
Your list is very comprehensive. We are travelling to Schweiz for about 2 weeks this summer and I am planing to visit two. Suter Meggen and Eyro-tech. For the first week we'll be based in Weggis and Interlaken after. I have ordered from Eyro multiple times and always been treated well.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2020 21:26:23(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
If I may post a bit of publicity for my shop list: https://www.stefanunholz.ch/page3/shops.html

St. Moritz only has one shop with a stock of probably not more than eight locomotives (most of them probably not even Marklin), Zürich has a few. Please also beware of Swiss opening hours (shops rarely open on Sundays and often closed on Mondays).

I was missing Zuba-Tech and Roundhouse in your list - shops I used to like - but it seems as if nowadays, Zuba-Tech is only represented in St. Gallen and Roundhouse in Olten?

Which of the remaining shops in Zürich would you recommend?

Blushing

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Unholz  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2020 21:41:55(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post

Your list is very comprehensive. We are travelling to Schweiz for about 2 weeks this summer and I am planing to visit two. Suter Meggen and Eyro-tech. For the first week we'll be based in Weggis and Interlaken after. I have ordered from Eyro multiple times and always been treated well.

Thank you for your kind words, Roger.

Roger Suter recently moved his shop to Adligenswil (quite near his former location at Meggen). I have known him for ages; he is a good businessman but normally not too cheap (but that is typical for Switzerland, isn't it?)LOL Eyro (Christian Eymann and Rolf Roth) is one of the most highly recommended dealers in our country. Please just make sure beforehand that their showroom is open, because they are mainly an Internet dealership and not a classic kind of shop.
Offline Unholz  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2020 21:50:05(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

I was missing Zuba-Tech and Roundhouse in your list - shops I used to like - but it seems as if nowadays, Zuba-Tech is only represented in St. Gallen and Roundhouse in Olten?
Which of the remaining shops in Zürich would you recommend?

Correct, Roundhouse have closed their physical shop at Zurich and now operate from Olten. Zuba-Tech is exclusively at St. Gallen. Their former Zürich branch is now called Züri-Tech, but... - ummmm... - what shall I say? Not really the broad choice they used to have, and slightly chaotic - but you can give it a try if you feel adventurous. Wink

Franz Carl Weber only has little remaining stock and is very expensive. Thus, there remains good old Mrs. Neisser. The lady is nearly 90 (!) years old and doesn't really want to sell everything that is on display in her shop. And if you ask her for Märklin HO scale and she doesn't have it in stock, she will desperately try to sell you an LGB Crocodile of the Rhätische Bahn... OhMyGod Please be careful there. Wink

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 02 March 2020 03:03:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Amalfi Coast,

I understand that there have been at least two cases of Coronavirus in the Engadin and that the Langlauf (Cross Country) Engadine Marathon has been cancelled as a result.
If you are careful, you should still be able to enjoy the fresh air at Diavolezza, Piz Lagalb or Corvatsch.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2020 03:27:26(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for your kind words, Roger.

Roger Suter recently moved his shop to Adligenswil (quite near his former location at Meggen). I have known him for ages; he is a good businessman but normally not too cheap (but that is typical for Switzerland, isn't it?)LOL Eyro (Christian Eymann and Rolf Roth) is one of the most highly recommended dealers in our country. Please just make sure beforehand that their showroom is open, because they are mainly an Internet dealership and not a classic kind of shop.

I made the trip to Adligenswil last summer. Pretty easy if you catch the Postbus (73) at Luzern HB. It drops you off a minute away from the shop (Adligenswil Sagi). I did not see Roger this trip. It seems like the business is now operated by his son Oliver, whom I met for the first time.
They have made a few changes to the website. It now is not as friendly to Auslaender. When you want to place an order and input your address outside of Switzerland, it seems to block up and state that they only ship to addresses inland. I have asked Oliver if he still welcomes my business, as I have been a client for over 20 years, after my last order would not go through.

I also visited Christian Eymann on the same trip and found a few goodies while there. I also visited Buehler, now upstairs from it's former location and accessible by the alley to the west of the old shop.

There is a shop called Hobby Huesli in Wetzikon ZH who seems to have some interesting items (limited AC) in his inventory, but he does not ship overseas. Stefan was nice enough to help me obtain a few long sought items and to forward them to me, but that is a place that I might check out if I am back in the country at some point. http://www.hobby-huesli.ch
I also would love to visit Bahnorama in Bern and Wemoba in Pieterlein. I also want to make another visit to Molard and Boller in Geneva. I was there in 1998 and tried to fit in a visit in 2004, but did not have the time due to travel constraints that day.

I rarely go to Swiss shops for Maerklin unless it is models that are either exclusive to Switzerland or hard to find outside Switzerland. I do keep an eye out for rare models or models that Swiss dealers might be likely to have greater stock than others, be it SBB, BLS, SOB, BT or other railways. When Hag was still Hag, Roco was still making the Schweizer Sonderserien (Roco CH) and Maerklin had the Exportmodelle, it was essential.

Today, I try to keep an eye on companies like Arwico (Piko, Liliput) which still commissions special editions for the Swiss market as well as KML (LSM, ACME, etc), which also releases special items with dealers (Eyro, etc). This year, I am waiting for the LSM Set of SBB Cisalpino livery coaches.

I remember when Roco put out the 44883/884/885 and 44962/963/964/965 EWIV, the only place to find the alternate coach numbered models was via Swiss dealers. The same was true for the EWII, the IC-2000 and Eurofima coaches (44655, 44650, 44669) and the 44770/771 EC coaches too.

Those were the days.

BTW, while in the Engadin, you can check with Herr Hui (huimodellbau.ch) (Ardez) if you can visit him. I don't know if he has a collection of his models, but you might find one rare (but pricey) souvenir to bring home from your trip, be it a SOB Pilot coach or...

Regards

Mike C
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2020 22:40:30(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Amalfi Coast,

I understand that there have been at least two cases of Coronavirus in the Engadin and that the Langlauf (Cross Country) Engadine Marathon has been cancelled as a result.
If you are careful, you should still be able to enjoy the fresh air at Diavolezza, Piz Lagalb or Corvatsch.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks, Mike. I'll look into those locations before I leave. Are there any other sights you recommend near St. Moritz? I believe at least a few of us will be taking a ride on the Glacier Express mid-week as we indulge in a break from skiing (or snowboarding in my case). I'm also a big James Bond fan. Are you aware of any filming locations in St. Moritz?

As an aside, I am also an Audrey Hepburn fan and decided to visit her home in Tolochenaz, Switzerland last February 2019. I stayed one night in Geneve after snowboarding for a week in Megeve, France. Simply took the SBB to the nearest town and grabbed a bus to Tolochenaz from the train station. it was such a treat! If I get some time I'll post some photos from that trip.

Regards,
David
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 03 March 2020 05:22:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know if they filmed any scenes/movies in the Engadine. OHMSS was filmed in the Bernese Alps (Shilthorn, Murren, Grindelwald, etc).
At one point, I had believed that the ski chase/snow blower scene was filmed on the RhB and the bob chase was St. Moritz, but I cannot confirm either.
It could have been Jungfraubahn or BOB.

The car chase (tailing) in Goldfinger was also filmed in Canton Bern (Grimselpass/Gletsch).

Last time I was in the Engadine, we skied at the top of Corvatsch. As a kid (1972) we skied at Lagalb and Diavolezza, both directly reachable by Bernina Bahn.
Looks like Diavolezza has expanded, but Lagalb still looks the same.

Make sure that you check with authorities re: CoVID. They have issued a travel advisory for Northern Italy, which includes the Tirano area and Swiss authorities reported some cases in the Engadine.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 03 March 2020 09:21:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Make sure that you check with authorities re: CoVID. They have issued a travel advisory for Northern Italy, which includes the Tirano area and Swiss authorities reported some cases in the Engadine.

Regards

Mike C

Do you have a pointer to this advice please? We are due to go to northern Italy after going to Oberammergau in mid June.

Offline Alsterstreek  
#12 Posted : 03 March 2020 12:04:03(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Wow, really up-to-date: You are even mentioning the sad case of Train Store Wellig.

Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 03 March 2020 16:52:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Regards

Mike C

Do you have a pointer to this advice please? We are due to go to northern Italy after going to Oberammergau in mid June.

https://travel.state.gov...aly-travel-advisory.html

https://www.engadin-skim...ws-services/corona-virus
https://www.tagesanzeige...infiziert/story/21364907

If, as was the case with SARS and MERS, the infection rate drops over time, things could return to near normal rather quickly.
We don't know enough and in some cases, there is a general sentiment that we are not being told all of the information, which may lead some to believe that we are being lied to. My recommendation would be to make sure that you have travel/cancellation insurance and that you keep track of ongoing developments. Worst comes to worst, you can spend your travel money on trains...

Stay safe and well.

Mike C
Offline jvuye  
#14 Posted : 03 March 2020 17:04:08(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

St. Moritz only has one shop with a stock of probably not more than eight locomotives (most of them probably not even Marklin), Zurich has a few. Please also beware of Swiss opening hours (shops rarely open on Sundays and often closed on Mondays).

Thanks Stefan, very very useful !
You know I use to spend a lot of time in Ticino Wink Wink and I was always visiting Galleria Baumgartner in Mendrisio.
I know it's primarily an **incredible** Model RR museum , and worth a visit just for that, but it has an interesting store for 2- and 3-rail with also a good selection of books.
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 04 March 2020 23:43:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Regards

Mike C

https://travel.state.gov...aly-travel-advisory.html

https://www.engadin-skim...ws-services/corona-virus
https://www.tagesanzeige...infiziert/story/21364907

If, as was the case with SARS and MERS, the infection rate drops over time, things could return to near normal rather quickly.
We don't know enough and in some cases, there is a general sentiment that we are not being told all of the information, which may lead some to believe that we are being lied to. My recommendation would be to make sure that you have travel/cancellation insurance and that you keep track of ongoing developments. Worst comes to worst, you can spend your travel money on trains...

Stay safe and well.

Mike C

Thanks Mke. We are currently in NZ, and wondering if we will be able to get back to the UK first, before we can embark on that trip.

i