Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwiAlan  
#51 Posted : 13 February 2021 18:56:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I tried doing the decoder update from the CS3 configuration page but it does not show any update files to choose from. The decoder has firmware version 2.17.19.0. Having just started to use the CS3 I am not sure how to verify that I have an internet connection. It is plugged into my main router but it seems odd that none of the update categories show any updates. Something else to investigate.

To do a decoder firmware update you need to have the PC with the programmer software talking to the cs3, it won't do it on its own. The update is controlled from the programmer software.

You should be able to just have the software running on your PC and it will find the cs3 on your network.
Offline dickinsonj  
#52 Posted : 13 February 2021 19:23:13(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
You should be able to just have the software running on your PC and it will find the cs3 on your network.

OK, that was not the case. Alternatively, can I could just use the USB programming stick and do the update with Märklin decoder tool software and not involve the CS3 at all?
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline dickinsonj  
#53 Posted : 13 February 2021 22:23:22(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
OK - I have finally put this problem to bed now and my VT 11.5 is working perfectly once again. ThumpUp

What I forgot to mention earlier was that once I saw that it would communicate with my CS3 I did a decoder reset, which is no doubt how the reverse direction bit became unset. The real question for me is why it talked to the CS3 and not to the CS2 or the decoder programmer last year.

Maybe it will communicate with the CS2 now, which would be interesting to know. But for the moment I just want to run and enjoy this beautiful train. BigGrin

Thanks to everyone who provided advice, which helped me to work through this puzzling situation. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#54 Posted : 13 February 2021 22:41:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
OK - I have finally put this problem to bed now and my VT 11.5 is working perfectly once again. ThumpUp

What I forgot to mention earlier was that once I saw that it would communicate with my CS3 I did a decoder reset, which is no doubt how the reverse direction bit became unset. The real question for me is why it talked to the CS3 and not to the CS2 or the decoder programmer last year.

Maybe it will communicate with the CS2 now, which would be interesting to know. But for the moment I just want to run and enjoy theis beautiful train. BigGrin

Thanks to everyone who provided advice, which helped me to work through this puzzling situation. ThumpUp

Great it is going again.

It sounds to me like one of these cases where there is a ****-up between the decoder and the cs that requires the decoder to be deleted from the cs and then discovered again. It may be that running it on another cs may be enough, guess you will find out shortly.
Offline dickinsonj  
#55 Posted : 14 February 2021 00:46:57(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

It sounds to me like one of these cases where there is a ****-up between the decoder and the cs that requires the decoder to be deleted from the cs and then discovered again.

Exactly. Somehow it broke its connection with the old CS2 or the CS2 broke it and even after I deleted it and reacquired it, communication was not restored. So either it was fixed because it was acquired on a new CS or a CS3 is better able to communicate reliably with the decoders. I already see how much better it does everything else and wonder why I waited so long to buy it. BigGrin

Regards,
Jim