Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2020 12:28:18(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi guysCool

First of all, the information I need is about Canada and specifically about Quebec.Cool

Therefore, any information from operations in other countries will be of no use to me.Sorry but that's the way it is. Cool

My move is advanced 6 weeks and I have no time to lose.Mad

As all the Marklin trains equipment is boxed, I must take this opportunity to settle once and for all the insurance problem.Bored

My insurance company, furrier like any other insurance company in the world, assured me that whatever the value of the Marklin equipment, it would only reimburse me 4000 $ cad, even though it would have cost me 50000 $ cad to acquire it.....unless I had it appraised by a .....professional appraiser.

Mad Confused Cursing

So my questions are for the Canadian and Quebec members.

Have you experienced this kind of problem with your insurer?

Is there a ''professional appraiser of movable property'' in Canada and in Quebec?

Do you know of any?

Thank you for your replies

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2020 14:58:44(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
When I had my own plumbing company one of my trucks was robbed from it's tools. I had my main supplier of tools make a list of the value of the tools and the insurance accepted it.
Perhaps your local hobby shop can make a valuation of your collection as they would be the professionals in this field. You can ask your insurance company if this is acceptable. Photos of everything is recommend, I myself have made photos of everything and put them on a disk. The disk is in my safe deposit box in case of a fire or some other disaster. Good luck on your move!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2020 16:40:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you have a complete list of your collection, you can list the items as follows:

Make/Manufacturer - Model Number - Original Value (Amount Paid $) - Date of Purchase/Acquisition - Condition (Notes) - Collector Value ($)

Marklin - 3050 - $150 - 1976 - Mint in Original Box (unused) - $200

To support the valuation, you can use either a Maerklin catalog with price list or Koll's or similar

Whenever possible, have photos of each item, identifying the model and condition

If moving, keep an inventory list of which item is in which moving box, so that you can identify precisely what items may be lost damaged.
That way, if there is damage, hopefully it will be within whatever claim limits your policy may include.

Check with your mover about specific coverage of goods moved. This would be independent of your home insurance.

https://www.nmra.org/model-insurance

Regards

Mike C
Offline Unholz  
#4 Posted : 26 February 2020 16:46:57(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Or somebody like this? https://www.isa-appraisers.ca
The term to search with is probably not "little train" but something like collectibles, etc.
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2020 17:00:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I would think that the best place to start would be your broker or insurance company.
In the past, when I have moved locally, I moved my model trains and record collection personally and when it was moved by movers, it was shipped in small batches so that in the event of any damages, the risk was less than the insurance coverage. It was also helpful to buy specific insurance from the moving company to cover items in excess of the regular coverage.

I did a search for "model train", "hobby", "collection" and "insurance" and "assurance" with keywords "Montreal" and "Quebec" and came up with a few results.
There were not very many accurate links provided by Google.

For example:
https://www.northamerica...ving-companies/insurance

Regards

Mike C
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 26 February 2020 19:11:00(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Your other option is not to play the insurance game at all, where the odds are always stacked against you.

Look after your stuff, pack it well, transport it yourself perhaps if you are concerned about theft, and you will come out ahead in all probability.

You could put the money you would have spent on insurance premiums into your trains.

This applies everywhere and not just trains. (Medical insurance is more like a shipping club than actual insurance, 3rd party auto insurance is also different.)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 26 February 2020 22:54:08(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Guys Cool

Thank you all so much. It was much appreciated.Cool

I read quickly and there are some very interesting things. Thank you. Cool

I'll get back to you on that later.

Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#8 Posted : 27 February 2020 14:44:13(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
If you have a complete list of your collection, you can list the items as follows:

Make/Manufacturer - Model Number - Original Value (Amount Paid $) - Date of Purchase/Acquisition - Condition (Notes) - Collector Value ($)

Marklin - 3050 - $150 - 1976 - Mint in Original Box (unused) - $200

To support the valuation, you can use either a Maerklin catalog with price list or Koll's or similar

Whenever possible, have photos of each item, identifying the model and condition

If moving, keep an inventory list of which item is in which moving box, so that you can identify precisely what items may be lost damaged.
That way, if there is damage, hopefully it will be within whatever claim limits your policy may include.

Check with your mover about specific coverage of goods moved. This would be independent of your home insurance.

https://www.nmra.org/model-insurance

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,Cool

I had already started this list, less detailed than yours for example. So I'm going to finish it, taking your remarks into account. It goes without saying that the photos will be taken.

Anything that's a "Marklin" train is transported by us.

I'm going to visit your link, for sure, but what I'm afraid of is the high cost that could set it back...if they do the insurance...

Thank you for your reply

Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#9 Posted : 27 February 2020 14:47:39(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Or somebody like this? https://www.isa-appraisers.ca
The term to search with is probably not "little train" but something like collectibles, etc.

Interesting...but it must be expensive...
Offline Thewolf  
#10 Posted : 27 February 2020 14:49:26(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I would think that the best place to start would be your broker or insurance company.
In the past, when I have moved locally, I moved my model trains and record collection personally and when it was moved by movers, it was shipped in small batches so that in the event of any damages, the risk was less than the insurance coverage. It was also helpful to buy specific insurance from the moving company to cover items in excess of the regular coverage.

I did a search for "model train", "hobby", "collection" and "insurance" and "assurance" with keywords "Montreal" and "Quebec" and came up with a few results.
There were not very many accurate links provided by Google.

For example:
https://www.northamerica...ving-companies/insurance

Regards

Mike C

As I wrote, all of Marklin is being transported by us...

Offline Thewolf  
#11 Posted : 27 February 2020 14:52:39(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
Your other option is not to play the insurance game at all, where the odds are always stacked against you.

Look after your stuff, pack it well, transport it yourself perhaps if you are concerned about theft, and you will come out ahead in all probability.

You could put the money you would have spent on insurance premiums into your trains.

This applies everywhere and not just trains. (Medical insurance is more like a shipping club than actual insurance, 3rd party auto insurance is also different.)

Thank you Dale Cool

That ties in with what I thinkCool

And I would add that at my age... the future is behind us and that the most important thing is to enjoy the moments RollEyes

Thewolf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline grnwtrs  
#12 Posted : 28 February 2020 09:15:39(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi guysCool

First of all, the information I need is about Canada and specifically about Quebec.Cool

Therefore, any information from operations in other countries will be of no use to me.Sorry but that's the way it is. Cool

My move is advanced 6 weeks and I have no time to lose.Mad

As all the Marklin trains equipment is boxed, I must take this opportunity to settle once and for all the insurance problem.Bored

My insurance company, furrier like any other insurance company in the world, assured me that whatever the value of the Marklin equipment, it would only reimburse me 4000 $ cad, even though it would have cost me 50000 $ cad to acquire it.....unless I had it appraised by a .....professional appraiser.

Mad Confused Cursing

So my questions are for the Canadian and Quebec members.

Have you experienced this kind of problem with your insurer?

Is there a ''professional appraiser of movable property'' in Canada and in Quebec?

Do you know of any?

Thank you for your replies

Thewolf

Seems to me someone on this site could give you a written appraisal for US $1.00 plus about the same for postage.
How about it, Mike C. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Regards gene in El Sobrante