Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2020 22:06:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
What makes your playing trains special?
(no matter if it is carpetbahn, temporary track, or small or incomplete layout.)

Is it the satisfaction of getting things working?
Is it music while you drive? Crowded House? Mozart?
Or is it the sound of delighted grandchildren?
Maybe the little one(s) who bless your house?
For many it could be satisfaction in faithfully representing a fantasy world .....

For me it is ABC Classic radio (Australian FM).
And my youngest grand-daughter, the others having moved on .....

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2020 23:16:03(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
what do you mean after completion?

for me the fun is making things that others have never done, i.e. the building of it.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2020 00:15:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
what do you mean after completion?

for me the fun is making things that others have never done, i.e. the building of it.

I mean "after" you build the track or layout and actually run trains.

First post has been edited.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2020 01:44:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Its been over 2 years now since I've extended the garage, although we've achieved a lot: breaking and fixing things on a permanent basis, the fun has somewhat dwindled but with extra energy everyday I'm getting closer to achieve our goal: to run trains., a few more programming issues with locos to get them to stop at the right spot and that the opto coupler gets activated every time a loco drives over it, things are on the improving side.
We are far from running 40 rains simultaneously, we are managing 8 trains at the moment but this number should increase in the next 2 weeks.
I can assure its no fun when you spend 10 hours trying to fix a fault and at the end of it, the situation hasn't changed.
As there are other activities in my life like extending the garage again on one side some progress has been achieved and I'm getting the roof sheets today but the roof structure has to be implemented to lay the roof sheets., the heat is killing our lawn, fruit trees don't get enough water and I'm sure the town water supply, there is to much salt in the water as I can see no improvement rather the opposite, which is a bit of a worry.
It has been fun unpacking new arrivals of parcels but this is short lived when the fun looses its strength., my fun hours also improves when I convert locos and I can spend hours on them but than the layout doesn't get done and this is no fun.
Funny enough when I watch videos of simple layouts from the 60's I get a bit jealous and my memories seem to get a jolt remembering the fun time I used to have with simple analog locos.
I'm also having fun with my computer or laptop, since I've changed over to NBN, (National Brod band) and the internet company I'm using for the last 20 years my modem LAN has been constantly dropping out for a second or two and this very annoying when you visit a website and it tells you there is no connection or you use a land line phone call and your call gets interrupted and you find the person on the other end is no longer listening to your conversation., I've reported it right from the beginning which is about 2 years ago and the internet provider hasn't come up with any solutions as yet, the've changed the modem to a newer model but the same thing happened., so eventually I made a small effort and tried the Wifi setting and bingo the internet now works without any interruptions, why my internet provider couldn't help me with this, is a mystery., so I'm having fun again on my computer reaching out for fake model train websites and than getting all my provided data including passwords deleted as quickly as possible and changing any identical password, so this was fun spending hours searching through their products and putting them into the basket only to find out its a fake website., this fun was short lived believing I had struck a goldmine with cheap offerings.
Oh, that's right, were suppose to talk about fun were having playing with trains, I've worked it out roughly I need about 24 hours in the day to come to this conclusion but in meantime I'll try to have fun regardless.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by river6109