Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2020 15:35:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I am having some strange behavior from my newest loco, a 39520, which I have only had for a month or so.

Over the last week it has been parked in my yard, which does not have a power bus in all sections. It was in an area where I have seen other locos stop on occasion, maybe due to a dead spot in the track. But when the problem happens it is obviously getting power and what it is doing is totally new to me.

While sitting idle in the yard it has on several occasions initiated a long sound recording, which does not match any of the loco sounds that I can access through functions. It is basically a man speaking - German I assume although I unfortunately am not good with languages. It is quite long - at least one minute, maybe up to two minutes and it is a monologue, sounding pretty much like a man giving a lecture. It starts when I turn off layout power and then turn it back on again, even though I am not addressing the 39520 in any way. I can only stop it by turning power back off or waiting until the lecture finally ends. I can not easily replicate this, as it seems to happen at random, but if I find a way to do that I will record it. Maybe it is telling me that I need to replace the Märklin decoder with a new ESU one. Confused

Now it is back on a mainline and I will see if it happens where the power supply is strong and clean. If it continues I guess it might be time for a new decoder, although I have not yet done a reset on the current decoder to see if that helps. I am surprised that there is enough memory to hold such a long sound file, which probably totals the length of all of the normal sounds combined.

Is it some kind of strange easter egg or is it just broken?

Insights or opinions would be appreciated!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline costing  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2020 15:57:56(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
mSD/3 has memory for a bit more than 3 minutes of sounds, so the length is not surprising. It's probably a >F15 function (did you try them too?). If this is the case it might be a digital signal disturbance in the area, maybe adding a current feeder nearby can help improve it. Is the voltage dropping too much in that area compared to the rest of the track? Is it a long section fed from one side only? I'd try to add a temporary pair of wires to bring more current to the affected area from somewhere close to the supply, see if it goes away.

If it is a sound not mapped to any function then it looks more like a decoder issue instead.

Radically different idea, did you consist it at any point and set F20 (say) to answer to consist address? Maybe you are triggerring the sound when you operate the other member of the consist. A decoder reset would clear this too. I'd start with a reset just to have a clear slate.
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2020 16:18:11(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Thanks for the ideas Costin, and I can answer some of your questions right now.

It is not a normal decoder sound mapped to any of the functions in either set, above or below F15. In other words I can not initiate this sound by activating any of the available functions on this decoder. It only happens on its own and right after layout power has been resumed. All of the other sound files are there and they are complete, which makes me wonder how there is enough sound memory to hold all of them. But since the real sounds and this additional sound file are both on the decoder, it obviously is possible and your info about 3 minutes of sound is helpful.

I am essentially trying what you suggest by moving the loco to a mainline with a good solid power supply via a bus. I never observed this behavior when it was on a mainline and it has only been in the yard for the last week or so. I just moved it last night when I was shutting down so now I will see if this keeps happening with better and more consistent power out on a mainline. I would be happy if my yard is causing this and it does not happen elsewhere since it might mean that the loco decoder is OK. Also that would certainly get me moving to extend my power bus to all of the yard!

The consist idea is a great one! Unfortunately I have not associated this loco with a consist, so that is not the answer. I am curious if anyone has ever seen this behavior before or if I have found a unique bug in my pretty new loco.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2020 19:00:38(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
From what you describe, this is likely the function assigned to F23 "Ansage: Lokvorbildangaben" (Announcement: Locomotive prototype specifications) as described in the manual. If the function was active on a MS2/CS and set to play once, I could understand that it would play when the lok was powered up.
Using the MS2, this can be accessed by pressing multiple keys, so it would not be readily visible on the main screen. I'm not sure how the last functions are displayed on the CS.
I normally test my lok functions using the Lok Test feature of my ESU Lokprogrammer, which allows me to check functions even on decoders that it cannot read.

Regards

Mike C
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2020 19:28:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
From what you describe, this is likely the function assigned to F23 "Ansage: Lokvorbildangaben" (Announcement: Locomotive prototype specifications) as described in the manual. If the function was active on a MS2/CS and set to play once, I could understand that it would play when the lok was powered up.

Thanks Mike, and that does fit with what I was hearing. I had not seen that in the function descriptions for this loco, but you are correct that it is in the manual.

None of the functions show as active when this happens, but perhaps F23 had been activated in the past. I don't know of a way to display the last functions on a CS2 but if you can do that on a MS2 I would expect that there is a way.

I will continue to see what it does and at least I now understand why my loco was giving me a nice lecture. BigGrin Too bad that I don't understand spoken German very well.
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2020 19:52:11(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
OK, I am feeling a bit stupid here because Mike is right - what I was hearing was the prototype information message activated by F23. I had not seen that function before and it is interesting, particularly if you understand German. ThumpUp

That function in a momentary one so it never shows active on the CS2 screen and perhaps I had accidentally activated it without noticing but had no way to tell from the CS display. As a software developer I can tell you that this is not the first time a cool new feature was mistaken for a bug by a clueless user. The first thing we say when a bug is reported is "User Error" and it is often actually the case. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2020 21:57:08(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Maybe it is telling me that I need to replace the Märklin decoder with a new ESU one.

I think I've found a video explaining what is being said:

Per.

P.S: I you need a translation, Gulu Gulu can help you find it LOL

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2020 20:56:51(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
So stuttering does occur in all languages.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä