Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline number655321  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2020 04:30:35(UTC)
number655321

United States   
I Just purchased used a 37990 Big boy. I got it with the addresses set to 79 for Sound and 80 for Control. Itried switching back to factory of 40 and 41. my CS with upfdate 60212 would work with 1 or the other but not both, and it displayed 1-80 under the name of the non cooperating decoder. I could not use all functions. Any Idea what the problem might be? I went back to the backwards 80 as control and 79 as sound. I don't Care what the address is, I just dont like when underlying mechanics do not operate as supposed to. Story ofmy life... That shouldn't work that way. Oh, but it does. not only does it work that way, but it will not work any other.
Thanks,
Vince
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2020 11:23:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: number655321 Go to Quoted Post
Itried switching back to factory of 40 and 41. my CS with upfdate 60212 would work with 1 or the other but not both, and it displayed 1-80 under the name of the non cooperating decoder.
IIRC this "1-80" indicates an address conflict - address used for two locos.

You can register an MM loco with 9 functions on the 60212 if the loco has two consecutive addresses.
In the simplest setup, you take loco 37990 from the database and use the default addresses of 40 (control) and 41 (sound).

Using 80 for control and 79 for sound will not work with a single loco entry on the 60212.
Using 79 for control and 80 for sound will work with a single loco entry. Same goes for any other pair as long as the control address is 1 below the sound address.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline number655321  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2020 14:25:40(UTC)
number655321

United States   
Right now I have it registered as I guess 2 locomotives on the CS 60212. I use the left side as the primary control and the right side has the alternate functions. As I said, for some reason, as I change the switches to meet the initial 40/41 addresses, the locomotive is not fully responsive. I have done a factory reset to alleviate any chance of conflict on the locomotive, and I still get the 1-80 warning. When I switch back to the 80/79 addresses, it works. I do not know if it works as it is supposed to, but it works. I have it set on split screen and that works for me. Or I just piggyback a mobile station onto the central station and use that for the secondary functions. As I said, I do not know if this is how it is intended to work but it works for me. I am a ends justify the means type of guy, so this works for my needs, but I don't know if it is correct. Is it possible that the address was changed by some other means besides the switches? Another issue is that in the manual for this on the marklin website https://static.maerklin....56152699261434542172.pdf there is a conflict in the manual as to the address of 40 vs. 80. as in one part it has the factory address for 40 as 2,4,6,8; in the listing for the addresses, it has 1,3,5,7 as the switch setting for 40. In the list of addresses it has 2,4,6,8 as the address for 80. It seems that the manual cannot even decide on which way it should go. As I said, right now it is working and taking up 2 controllers to do so. I do not know if that is how it is designed, but there it is.
Thanks,
Vince
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2020 15:09:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: number655321 Go to Quoted Post
As I said, right now it is working and taking up 2 controllers to do so.
One controller can handle two addresses and you can get all functions using one controller, freeing the other controller for a different loco.
You can use two different controllers for those two different decoders inside that one loco, but I do not see any advantage in doing this. But it's fine if it works for you.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2020 16:56:00(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi

The code table in the manual seems to be correct (page 49), or you can use this document as reference. (Page 3): https://www.maerklin.de/fileadmin/media/service/technische_informationen/Codiertabelle2.pdf. Disregard the other confusing parts in the manual.

I don’t have the CS1 myself, but make sure that the decoder type is set as MM (Märklin Motorola).
I do have the 37990, and it’s still going strong. (had to replace the speaker).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph