Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pclancy  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2020 17:28:21(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
Dear Forum members:

As a young boy, I grew up with Marklin. Now, I am retired and am thinking about setting up a layout.

I have old Marklin M track, blue transformers and locomotives that date to the 60s. I have a ton (50-100) pieces of old M track, but I assume it is generally in poor condition--it's been stored in boxes in heated and unheated garages since the 60s. Never wet, but old and dusty and cold. Some of it is bent, I assume, and I can dimly remember how some pieces didn't work well when I was a kid!

I am clueless about how Marklin works these days--except that it has gone digital. My locos are analog. I have plenty of rolling stock.

Where do I start? I want to build a medium sized layout, with a loop inside a loop. Maybe a bridge or tunnel. That's it.

I want to buy used.

Where can I access a layout diagram? Does it list all the pieces needed? Should I ditch the M and go for C? Who can digitize the locos?

What's the best way to proceed?

Thanks for your advice!

Peter

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pclancy
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2020 19:50:24(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
About old blue metal transformers:
https://www.marklin-user...--white-transformer-32Va

Scanned copies of M track plan books:
http://www.lctm.info/Sec...lioteca/Libros/index.php

No need to go digital, but if you desire to convert vintage analog locos to digital (which is possible), you need modern generation controls, too.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline hvc  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2020 00:14:51(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum!

Ak (above) is right - you can just stick with M track and analogue if you want - just buy a new transformer/controller for safety reasons.

C track isn't necessary, but it is a leap forward in terms of reliability and ease of set up - but plenty of forum members here are still running on M track (and lots on K track as well, of course).

I was in the same position as you about 15 years ago - lots of M track and analogue. I decided to start by buying a second-hand start-set, which included a simple C-track layout, a digital controller (called a "Mobile station") - something like this:

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Starters+%26+Sets/Start%2DSets+digital/M%C3%A4rklin%2D29074/gb/modell_256297.html

and I also bought a couple of C to M track adapters:

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Railtracks/Standard+Railtracks/M%C3%A4rklin%2D24951/gb/modell_4431.html

so that I could still use M track while I gradually bought more C track.

I still have analogue locomotives as well as digital - like many here, I can run my layout in either digital or analogue by just switching to a different controller.

Hope this helps!

-Herman
- Herman
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hvc
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2020 20:01:22(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi- your track may be usable with some patience. Assuming no rust, a good wash in the sun on a warm day with soap and water and then a thorough drying will do 80+% of the job. Then a commercial track eraser over the rails, and then some wahl clipper oil gently applied with a rag or paper towel to the railheads to keep it clean.

Then when assembling check the joints and with a pair of hobby/small needlenose pliers you can straighten any rails where the may have been bent at the joints. Enjoy!

It sounds like a lot of work, but when doing a huge batch of track all at once it goes quickly
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline pclancy  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2020 20:13:36(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
Great advice everyone! Thank you so much. Am I correct in assuming that I can run both C and M track together using a mobile station and digitized locos?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pclancy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2020 21:39:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: pclancy Go to Quoted Post
Great advice everyone! Thank you so much. Am I correct in assuming that I can run both C and M track together using a mobile station and digitized locos?

Yes you can. Marklin make straight adapter tracks to connect C and M track together.