Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline M1Davison  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2020 22:22:57(UTC)
M1Davison

United States   
Hi all and Happy New Year,

I am a new forum member having been out of the hobby for about 20 years. I've been inspired once again to get back into the hobby. I recently purchased a like new Marklin 33961 Tank Locomotive. The train looked great when I received it but I did a thorough cleaning anyway. After cleaning it I ran it on a simple oval layout just to make sure it functioned properly. I'm old school and am running a 6021 Control unit with a 6001 transformer on M-track. Right away the motor made a squealing sound and would hesitate momentarily as it ran. A quick online search led me to issues with the brushes so I purchased and installed new ones. While this significantly helped the issue it did not eliminate the squealing entirely. It is worse when I run the locomotive in reverse or when I'm pulling a load of approximately 5-6 cars. I really like the look of this model and would hate to have it idle in the yard. My last resort will likely be to send it to a authorized dealership for repair. Before doing so, are there any other inspections or fixes that I can apply to remedy this issue? Confused

Thanks,

MD

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2020 22:37:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
One word, Oil!

If a loco is screeching when run that normally indicates it is in need of oil. Check the manual for the loco to determine where to apply oil.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline M1Davison  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2020 05:17:28(UTC)
M1Davison

United States   
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned that when I cleaned the locomotive I did oil it sparingly per the service instructions. The squealing is not constant but more of a "chirp" sound accompanied by a brief hesitation in motion. Very hard to describe.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by M1Davison
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2020 14:11:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: M1Davison Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned that when I cleaned the locomotive I did oil it sparingly per the service instructions. The squealing is not constant but more of a "chirp" sound accompanied by a brief hesitation in motion. Very hard to describe.

This sounds a bit like a problem I had with a 3039 Br110. It was impossible to eliminate this chirping sound completely, and I ended up over-oiling the loco in the attempt! When I stripped it down for cleaning off the excess oil I noticed that the gears on the motor bogie were not totally smooth running even when not connected to the motor. I concluded that there was a either a misalignment in the gears or too much play in the gear axles, causing an intermittent binding as they rotated.

My loco works best when there is little or no oil on the gears and just a drop on the motor bearings and the wheel axles. Then the loco makes just a slight buzzing sound in one direction at a certain speed but is otherwise mostly quite silent.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF