Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rugauger  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2019 09:00:18(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
I have a pair of city houses that have been waiting for deployment on the layout. Now that the relevant part of the layout is finally ready to be built, I find that the houses are rather tall by comparison with everything else. I also think that the design of the ground floor is rather uninspiring and plain. Given I had acquired these houses cheaply second hand, I decided I could afford a write-off in the worst case and went about removing the ground floor level.

Here is the starting point:

The first of the orange coloured floors will become our new ground floor. In order to give us sufficient height for a door, we will need to keep a few rows of bricks from the floor below, so we will make the cut just above the top of the current ground floor windows.

Remove the doors and their surrounds with a craft knife.

Using the brick rows as a guide, cut along the third row, in line with the top of the windows.

Now all we need to do is give it a door so our Preiser people can actually get home! I decided to use the rectangular back door instead of the rounded front door as it was easier to make the corresponding opening. Prise off the centre window surround and, using the top of the window as a guide, make a rectangular opening:

Then I forgot to take any more pictures until the very end…

So here is the final result. The door has been painted black to match the iron railings of the windows, and the surround has been put on. As the door was now higher than the ground, I had to make a set of stairs to go with it. So here we are:

(The stairs are not glued yet on as this will be done when the building is installed on the layout.)

More details on my blog
Richard
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by rugauger
Offline Gregor  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2019 10:41:57(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Much, much better!

Gregor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2019 12:34:27(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Very nice work. Do we now have homeless people lol
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar