Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2019 13:04:33(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Hi everyone.

I am having some difficulty with y passenger trains. My layout has a double track using C-Track R1 and R2 curves.

I bought some Piko Expert push pull coaches that are way too long.

Then I bought some Piko Hobby 57609-1 and -2.

Piko hobby

They are both fine on the standard curves but both have trouble around the S-bend on the layout.

I have a few of the Roco SBB coaches as here -

SBB

The Piko Hobby are 26cm long whilst the SBB coaches are 23cm. The SBB coaches have no problems going round the track at any speed, including round the S-Bend.

The loco allocated to the train that I want to run is a BR141 as here:

BR141

(The SBB coaches are normally pulled by a Krok but I am using them as a test for the BR141.)

My Question

Can any one propose some suitable coaches of a similar length to the SBB at 23cm for use with my red E141. I have looked through the latest Marklin catalogue but am confused as I can't tell the coach lengths. Roco and PIko have huge ranges and I can't get to grips with them so someone might know them better. I have a local Piko and Roco supplier but have no trouble getting Marklin from ML.

Any help please?
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2019 13:50:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi David,

Marklin made some Era V coaches in the 1990s in the shorter 24cm length. They would go well with your Br141. All are currently available on eBay.

They are:

4027 Interregio 1st class
UserPostedImage

4032 Interregio 2nd class
UserPostedImage

4055 Intercity 1st class
UserPostedImage

4057 Intercity dining car
UserPostedImage

I have to say that I run the Piko Hobby coaches on my R1/R2 layout without problems, but I swapped the wheels to the AC versions. Have you done this?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2019 14:31:25(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I think the Silberlinge 4042/4043/4046 series at 240mm (~9½") also work with BR141. The 4158/4159 series Silberlinge are 264mm (~10-5/8") might also work, but the newer 303mm ("scale length") not so sure - others will help on that. But again as Ray has posited, an ebay item, or a shop might have some "Previously Loved" items Cool

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2019 18:59:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The 303mm exact scale coaches might be too long for the narrow R1 and R2 curves. There are numerous reduced scale (length) models in scales of 1:93 (282mm), 1:100 (264-268mm) and companies used to make 24cm models.

Some coaches cars were not the same length, so not all exact scale coaches will be 303mm. Two axled coaches or pre-war models will be shorter. Even some domestic coaches post war had shorter lengths.

There are a number of Maerklin models in 1/100 that should work trouble free on R1 and R2. There were reissues of the DBAG coaches in white with red stripe, the SBB EWIV in the most recent livery, just to name a few.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2019 12:25:42(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The 303mm exact scale coaches might be too long for the narrow R1 and R2 curves. There are numerous reduced scale (length) models in scales of 1:93 (282mm), 1:100 (264-268mm) and companies used to make 24cm models.

Some coaches cars were not the same length, so not all exact scale coaches will be 303mm. Two axled coaches or pre-war models will be shorter. Even some domestic coaches post war had shorter lengths.

There are a number of Maerklin models in 1/100 that should work trouble free on R1 and R2. There were reissues of the DBAG coaches in white with red stripe, the SBB EWIV in the most recent livery, just to name a few.

Regards

Mike C

Well, I have sorted out my problem. I was hoping that someone could point me at some current models in the Marklin, Roco or Piko catalogues as I had bought the nice SBB coaches from the local dealer. However, that didn't happen. As I didn't see a solution in new coaches, I had to go back to what I had. Firstly, I took the slider and pickups out of the red and cream coach and tried them again. Not much changed. However, I noticed that the coach only came off at one point.

Step back a bit. My railway is built on top of an electric desk. I was given this as part of the Open University disability aid. The desk can be raised and lowered using an electric motor. However, the bit where the coach was coming off was on the removable part of the layout which is supported by legs. My wife noticed that there was a slight slope to the removable board so I checked it out. I used the electric control to drop the main layout about 10mm which brought everything back into line and the coaches now go round without derailing!

Not sure how or why the desk top was raised that little bit but everything now runs fine so I no longer need to replace the coaches. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2019 13:02:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Quote:
Well, I have sorted out my problem. I was hoping that someone could point me at some current models in the Marklin, Roco or Piko catalogues as I had bought the nice SBB coaches from the local dealer. However, that didn't happen. As I didn't see a solution in new coaches, I had to go back to what I had.

Hi David, it seems we missed out on getting you the kind of answer you were looking for. Unfortunately it is a common occurrence on the forum. I have often asked a question and been bombarded with many well meaning answers, none of which really help me! BigGrin

It probably helps if you try to be as specific as possible with a question, but it is sometimes difficult to do this. Anyway I'm glad you sorted your problem! ThumpUp
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2019 13:41:48(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
Well, I have sorted out my problem. I was hoping that someone could point me at some current models in the Marklin, Roco or Piko catalogues as I had bought the nice SBB coaches from the local dealer. However, that didn't happen. As I didn't see a solution in new coaches, I had to go back to what I had.

Hi David, it seems we missed out on getting you the kind of answer you were looking for. Unfortunately it is a common occurrence on the forum. I have often asked a question and been bombarded with many well meaning answers, none of which really help me! BigGrin

It probably helps if you try to be as specific as possible with a question, but it is sometimes difficult to do this. Anyway I'm glad you sorted your problem! ThumpUp

I have found that, generally, when I have a problem, it is a general problem and not specific to me. Hence, nearly always, I don't really get any help. This applies as much to the computer forums as this one. I am not meaning to belittle anyone as everyone tries their best but sometimes there isn't an easy answer, as in this case, so the problem goes unresolved.

A couple of years ago, I was finishing an Open University degree with a computer project that involved a "key-value" database (if you know what that is), a cloud server and an Android app. The idea was to create a routing program for US outline model freight cars. Although I have been involved in US model railroading for most of my life, there were questions that I needed answering. Funnily enough, no one else seemed to know either so I got lots of irrelevant answers and lots of mild abuse!

Hence my switch to Marklin and a much friendlier forum!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2019 18:48:18(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

I have done a run of the rsilway this afternoon. The software told me that it was time to run my E141 and the red and cream coaches. A bit heart in my hands, I placed the lok and three coaches on the track and - lo and behold - they all ran without any drama. It seems that adjusting the height of the desk sorted out the issue. Anyway, here is a short video of the train in action.

The coaches don't look too great as they are a bit long but, it has already been established that there aren't any new coaches out there that would replace them. As it is, the train is running on the inside track so it has R1 curves around the whole circuit except for one small set of R2 at the introduction of the S curve.

I am quite happy now with the situation.

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid