Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Uwe  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2019 01:33:29(UTC)
Uwe

United States   
I was given two Bachman cars which will not couple with my Marklin set. Is it possible to retrofit the Bachman cars with Marklin close couplers? Thanks!
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2019 02:00:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
If the Bachmann cars have the NEM362 style coupler pockets, just slip out the original coupler and replace with Maerklin.

If they are older Bachmann cars with fixed body or bogie coupler, it would be difficult.

Your question should sensibly include a photo of the cars, or the type and model number of the cars, to elicit a sensible answer.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2019 17:12:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You should post a photo so that we can identify the type of coupler used on the Bachmann car. There are a few companies which may NEM socket couplers with Kadee connections and perhaps other North American designs. It may be possible to equip the adjacent Maerklin cars/lok with such a coupling so that you can run the US cars along with Maerklin ones.

The other possibility would be installing a NEM socket, which might still be available from Roco or Symoba.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Uwe  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2019 22:31:52(UTC)
Uwe

United States   
Thanks for the quick replies. You're right, I should have thought to include a photo. Here it is:IMG_0174.jpeg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Uwe
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2019 00:03:27(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
That coupler was designed in the 1950s by the National Model Railway Assocoation (NMRA), and is called an X2F coupler.
It was used in all trainsets for a decade or so, until Kadee (based in Oregon I believe) designed a more suitable system.
The X2F is still supplied as standard in most trainsets I believe.

Given that the X2F has a removeable screw, I imagine someone somewhere (including Kadee) has a suitable replacement.
You may have to ask a person with more up-to-date knowledge of the variations available in North America.
It also depends if your Maerklin rolling stock has either
1. the Kadee system sometimes provided by Maerklin with the standard European NEM362 box removeable coupler system, or
2. the fixed Maerklin Relex coupler.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2019 07:18:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I can't see a problem exchanging them with close couplers shafts, Märklin made a lot of different close coupler shafts and I've retrofitted almost all my earlier locos with them, its just a matter of finding the right one and I'm sure there is, the best way to go forward to go to ebay and search for Märklin close couplers shafts.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Crazy Harry  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2019 22:22:46(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
How about Maerklin part number 7205, the one with the hole? I measured the ones I have and they are 23mm from the edge of the hoop to the centre of the mounting hole. The width across the "feelers" in the back is 9mm.

In fact, if you only want the a pair of the couplers with the hole, the spare part number is E272910. Search for this and buy from your preferred reseller/retailer.

Kupplung.jpg

Hope this helps,

Harold.
Offline Uwe  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2019 22:38:24(UTC)
Uwe

United States   
Hi Harold. Thank you very much. I will try this out. Cheers and happy new year.

Uwe.
Offline Crazy Harry  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2019 22:39:57(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
As an update to my previous post --

I found a similar Bachmann car I had and checked fitment of the E292710. It is too wide to fit in the pocket, unless you trim off the "feelers" and therefore lose the self centering ability of the coupler. It is also too long to use the provided mounting hole, but a new hole can easily be drilled in the right place to use the existing screw on the bogie.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Harold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry