Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline The Crocodile  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2019 01:07:33(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Hello, I own some Märklin sets, digital with the mobile station 1. I only own one Märklin loco though, the rest are Rocos, which work great. However, I've recently been thinking about investing in the locomotive I've been drooling over since I was 12, the wooden 3670.

Now, the loco was made in 1988, though it is digital. My question, Although it might sound stupid, is would it work with regular "modern" digital Märklin sets? Even though the loco would soon be 32 years old? How would I go about "adding" the locomotive into my mobile station?

I'd be thankful for any help recieved:) I've been wanting this loco for years but I'm afraid it wouldn't work with my digital set since it's so old. Sorry if I sound like a complete beginner, have mercy on me:)

C-track, temporary layout. I try to run my locos as much as possible:)
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2019 01:17:12(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Have you found out anything about this loco's inside digital decoder ? for a start it wouldn't be recognized by the MS 1 you would have to manually register the loco, secondly determine what address the loco has and than enter the loco number + details about the loco into the MS 1 and you should be ok., so long there is room for another loco to be registered.

any digital loco can be registered with the MS1 but your maximum allowance for locos to be registered is 10., locos only register automatically if its in the database.

John

Merry Christmas and have fun
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline The Crocodile  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2019 01:34:56(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Have you found out anything about this loco's inside digital decoder ? for a start it wouldn't be recognized by the MS 1 you would have to manually register the loco, secondly determine what address the loco has and than enter the loco number + details about the loco into the MS 1 and you should be ok., so long there is room for another loco to be registered.

John

Thank you very much for the reply! I do not know much about the digital decoder other than that it's from 1988, and that the adress has been changed to 44. So if I were to buy it, I'd simply plug in "44" as the trains adress in the MS 1 and it would work? Wonderful. Thank you again. And there is lots of room, I only have 3 other locos and the MS 1 can supposedly handle 10.

Merry Christmas!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 25 December 2019 11:13:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: The Crocodile Go to Quoted Post

John

Thank you very much for the reply! I do not know much about the digital decoder other than that it's from 1988, and that the adress has been changed to 44. So if I were to buy it, I'd simply plug in "44" as the trains adress in the MS 1 and it would work? Wonderful. Thank you again. And there is lots of room, I only have 3 other locos and the MS 1 can supposedly handle 10.

Merry Christmas!

The decoder will be a 6080, the earliest Marklin decoder. It will have a switch for setting the address, and should come with a manual which will tell you the default address. I would set the address to the default if the default is not 44, and then on the ms1 look in the loco database for 3670. The loco should now work, however if it doesn't then it probably needs some oil. The only function it will have is headlights, so if it doesn't move try turning those on to check the loco recognises the digital address.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline The Crocodile  
#5 Posted : 25 December 2019 11:41:06(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

John

Merry Christmas!

The decoder will be a 6080, the earliest Marklin decoder. It will have a switch for setting the address, and should come with a manual which will tell you the default address. I would set the address to the default if the default is not 44, and then on the ms1 look in the loco database for 3670. The loco should now work, however if it doesn't then it probably needs some oil. The only function it will have is headlights, so if it doesn't move try turning those on to check the loco recognises the digital address.

Thank you, I think I read somewhere the default adress is 04 and not 44. Why do you recommend setting it back to default?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 25 December 2019 13:52:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Thank you, I think I read somewhere the default adress is 04 and not 44. Why do you recommend setting it back to default?

I would suggest setting it to the default so that when searching in the loco database on the ms1 it already knows what address it should be. If you already have a loco using that address then by all means leave this loco at the current address. It is possible to change the address in the database to suit, but it seemed easier to to set the loco to default as the instructions would be in the booklet that comes with the loco.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline The Crocodile  
#7 Posted : 26 December 2019 12:16:39(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   

I would suggest setting it to the default so that when searching in the loco database on the ms1 it already knows what address it should be. If you already have a loco using that address then by all means leave this loco at the current address. It is possible to change the address in the database to suit, but it seemed easier to to set the loco to default as the instructions would be in the booklet that comes with the loco.

I see, thank you very much!
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#8 Posted : 26 December 2019 12:35:34(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   

I would suggest you first add the loco from the database, then change the address in the Mobile Station. Then you don’t have to open the loco to change the position of the dip-switches. But you get the description of the loco right from the database.

K-G / H0 and Z model train user