Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2019 15:01:58(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
You have been a member since:: 06/07/2012(UTC)
Time for the Märklin distance travelled challenge. Be it by foot, car, train, plane or ship. How far do you drive to get your Märklin fix? Tell us the distances you go for the love of Márklin hobby products.

Let me start.

This morning I’ll be going from Barrie to Toronto (59 miles) to visit my Märklin dealer, Westend Trains Inc.

Total distance 111 miles or 191 kilometres.

Edited by user 09 December 2019 19:24:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline mrmarklin  
#2 Posted : 09 December 2019 16:01:26(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Views messages in topic : 892
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Time for the Märklin distance travelled challenge. Be it by foot, car, train, plane or ship. How far do you drive to get your Märklin fix? Tell us the distances you go for the love of Márklin hobby products.

Let me start.

This morning I’ll be going from Barrie to Toronto (59 miles) to visit my Märklin, Dealer Westend Trains Inc.

Not far. My dealer is on my computer, sadly. Or fortunately!
There are no dealers comparable to those in Germany near my house. Blink
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2019 16:37:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

Let me start.

This morning I’ll be going from Barrie to Toronto (59 miles) to visit my Märklin, Dealer Westend Trains Inc.

Not far. My dealer is on my computer, sadly. Or fortunately!
There are no dealers comparable to those in Germany near my house. Blink

Me too, and then my employers logistics department bring the package (almost) to my office. It used to be right to my office but now it is to the building drop off point ... Sad

But that is about to change as I retire on the 20th, just one Lokshop shipment on its way which will be the last delivered to the office.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 09 December 2019 16:40:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Yep. 6 inches to press the order button from Lippe.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#5 Posted : 09 December 2019 18:10:54(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
As there weren't any train shops in my local area at the time (or so I told myself), I used to drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen from Aviano, Italy and pick up my purchases from Spielwaren Heinz... about 350 km each way. "Unfortunately," it usually meant having to spend the weekend ;) Somewhat closer was Villach, Austria (about 150 km each way).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2019 19:11:19(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I'm just back and Mike at Westend Trains had a surprise for me the Insiders Annual Car 2019!

The only think that would finish off this trip perfectly would be a nice cup of MOCCONA Coffee! Hey, now that’s what life is all about..........

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2019 19:23:17(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
What's MOCCONA?

Please note that this brand of coffee “MOCCONA” is not available in Canada. By the grace of Air Canada's Dreamliner, Australia was only a hop and skip so my wife brought home some jars for me to enjoy. And enjoy I will!

Sincerely, Michel
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2019 20:59:22(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Michel, I could not begin to think of starting my day without my Moccona cup of coffee. I feel for you when those supplies run out mate Cursing
D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline dominator  
#9 Posted : 09 December 2019 21:00:08(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
My nearest shop is 250 kms away. Easier to walk to the computer.
Enjoy.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Dave Banks  
#10 Posted : 09 December 2019 21:16:29(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Dereck, your living not to far from that terrible disaster of White Island volcano eruption that befell the bay of plenty yesterday. It is all over the news in OZ. The passengers of "Ovation of the seas" have sadly lost some of its passengers that when on that trip of a lifetime. Lot of questions going to be asked of why tourist were allowed on the island when the alert level had been raised not long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTn5MAZOtuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GeGgO0Z7XE
D.A.Banks
Offline GaryTrooper  
#11 Posted : 10 December 2019 02:32:36(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
When I was growing up the hobby shop was 1.1 miles from my house. When I moved to Alaska the hobby shop was 4,300 miles away. Does going to the hobby shop during a home town visit count?
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline Br502362  
#12 Posted : 10 December 2019 09:03:11(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

I have to drive 40km to Helsinki https://www.mallikauppa.fi/

Or 46km to Helsinki also https://www.hobbypoint.fi/

Both have quite limited range of M goodies and prices are high.
Shopping small spareparts is cheaper and faster from them as there is no freight involved. ( I don't count gasoline price Laugh )
Bigger purchases go to "evil bay" and its German sellers.

Cheers

Åke

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline jerdenberg  
#13 Posted : 10 December 2019 11:05:30(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Walking to the station (15 minutes), taking the train (27 minutes) and walking 20 more minutes takes me to the largest store in the Netherlands, about 30 kilometers from home as the crow flies. Driving there would be faster, but walking and train travel is more relaxed …

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline Crazy Harry  
#14 Posted : 11 December 2019 21:06:17(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
I went to Westend Trains in Toronto, Ont., Canada just as michelvr did. The shop is only 25km from my place. This is much more convenient than when I started the hobby in the mid 1960s - my supplier was my grandmother in Germany - could only buy from catalogue pictures and always a long wait for desired items to come by post. The other goodies in the package always made it worth the wait!

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline mbarreto  
#15 Posted : 11 December 2019 21:31:25(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I have a small shop 1,5Km from home, another 320Km from home in Oeiras (much larger stock then the one close to home) and MSL (the best prices) a click away.
If I say MSL, I must also say ebay for used items.

Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#16 Posted : 11 December 2019 21:46:21(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

I have a small shop 1,5Km from home, another 320Km from home in Oeiras (much larger stock then the one close to home) and MSL (the best prices) a click away.
If I say MSL, I must also say ebay for used items.

Regards,
Miguel

I have Scograil of Ipswich, UK just 1m from me but, although they trade as ScogBahn sometimes and sell Roco, Piko, Fleischmann, etc. they can only get Marklin from Gaugemaster. Gaugemaster, as is well known, turn Euros into pounds at 1.00 and then add on some. Sometimes, Scograil's discount makes it work but, a lot of the time, it doesn't and Gaugemaster's stock isn't great.

Find a Viessmann signal in their box and get it for £10. Order it from Gaugemaster and it is £31 less 10%. Buy it from MSL and it is 19 Euros. Hence, most of my purchases are from my armchair.

Oh, I have a friend who came to me via this forum who is a constant surprise at what he can source me from his stash at good prices but, even then I sit in my armchair and get my friendly postman to deliver.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline Harvey  
#17 Posted : 13 December 2019 03:59:04(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I travel (car) about 2 miles to my local hobby store - Willis Hobbies. Been dealing with them for around 30 years. Hoping our grandson (just 3 weeks old) develops an interest (already showed him my layout) but his interest is currently the bottle and sleep.

Harvey
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline hxmiesa  
#18 Posted : 13 December 2019 09:10:26(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
My closest shop is in Bilbao. In the city-center, on the high street(!) So around 35 km.
They carry very little stock of Marklin; mostly obsolete articles and a few new starter-sets.
It was once a fairly well-assorted hobby-shop. (Well, it still is, but focus has shifted to other tecnical toys...)
Anyway their prices are completly prohibitive.

There is another train-focused hobby shop in Bilbao, But I havent visisted it for the last 15 years. (No 3-rail trains, but lots of 2-rail!) Good shop if you are into 2-rail.

So, in the end... I do most of my train-shopping from the living-room,using the PC and internet.

It is very sad, because I *LOVE* to visit these shops, but I see them disappear one by one.
Many years ago, when the huge shopping-malls began killing off the small neighbourhood shops, the internet is now doing the same to the shopping malls today. Soon it will all be internet.
What will the next be? -Homeprinted 3D objects will kill off the internet shops?
In the future, the only thing that Märklin will sell, are the designs needed to print the objects in your own house???
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com