Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eberhardt  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2019 22:45:27(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
I just installed a 60982 into my old 3084, ( the one with a brakeman's cab in the tender) along with a new high efficiency motor. I followed the colour code exactly, noticing that there was no brown wire, I used the black wire in place of it. Plonked it on the track switched on MS2 and heard a faint click form the decoder, but now I can't understand how to tell MS2 the code to kick start it. I tried entering it manually but still, 'No Loco'. Could your collective brains explain what I'm doing wrong? I followed the MS2 instruction and still get, 'No Loco'. John. Confused
Offline bph  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2019 01:00:06(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Did you follow the NEM color code or the Märlklin code? this decoder uses the NEM color code. (as described in the manual)
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2019 01:06:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: eberhardt Go to Quoted Post
I just installed a 60982 into my old 3084, ( the one with a brakeman's cab in the tender) along with a new high efficiency motor. I followed the colour code exactly, noticing that there was no brown wire, I used the black wire in place of it. Plonked it on the track switched on MS2 and heard a faint click form the decoder, but now I can't understand how to tell MS2 the code to kick start it. I tried entering it manually but still, 'No Loco'. Could your collective brains explain what I'm doing wrong? I followed the MS2 instruction and still get, 'No Loco'. John. Confused

Which software version do you use on your MS 2? Since version 3.55 there are no "+" signs any longer. Then you got these "|" vertical line (vl). Are you sure this little symbol with a loco on it is exactly on such a vl? It is a very fine rolling forward or backward. Best is using the red knob by turning it to the left or right while at the same time you press down (and keep it down) the "shift" button. It happened to me, I just had the marker on the wrong place and got the sign “no loco”.

Before you see it in your MS 2 you must register the loco into the MS 2 till the mfx decoder has recognized and downloaded all information from your loco into the MS 2. It does not go quickly and can cause a while. If nothing happens probably your cabling inside is not correctly done.

The 60982 is a mfx decoder. You are absolutely certain, you followed the enormous requirements from the manual building in into the loco? Have set up everything correctly? Of course I cannot tell you what you did wrong. I haven't seen your loco and the connections you set up. But entering it manually will not work under another track format till you have deactivated the mfx track format. See in the manual “Digital Operation” (page 22).

https://static.maerklin....bc19f25fa81569315550.pdf

Have you done all calibrations for the new decoder? You are writing about a click noise from the decoder. I assume you have not set it on a single programming track while it wanted to start the calibration process? Although normally for a mfx decoder it is not necessary try it on a separate programming track again. For calibration purposes you shall not do any other operations on your layout. When I use my mfx locos for running at other layouts the mfx function is perfect. But after a repair, resetting or whatever maintenance I only use a separate programming track to start the loco again. If it is necessary or not, I do not care. You see many possibilities. Go ahead step by step and document what you have done. E.g. Maerklin even recommends by digitalizing a loco doing a picture from every single working step, just to follow up what you did and what you have not done.

But all my respect for you doing the digital conversion for your old 3084. I was not yet encouraged enough to do a similar step for my very old analogue locos like a 3021 V 200. I am still exercising with much newer locos.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline eberhardt  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2019 10:12:44(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Did you follow the NEM color code or the Märlklin code? this decoder uses the NEM color code. (as described in the manual)

Thank you. Once again I dived in head first without studying the instructions. I did notice a reference to N.E.M. but ignored it when looking for the brown wire which isn't there. Plus of course the diagram in the instructions is entirely different to the actual thing. I have a decoder which is small, rectangular and wrapped in black plastic, whereas the drawing in the instructions is more than one piece, (Very confusing) so I ignored the instructions thinking that I knew better. Now, I do know better, thanks again. John.
Offline eberhardt  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2019 10:20:47(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Which software version do you use on your MS 2? Since version 3.55 there are no "+" signs any longer. Then you got these "|" vertical line (vl). Are you sure this little symbol with a loco on it is exactly on such a vl? It is a very fine rolling forward or backward. Best is using the red knob by turning it to the left or right while at the same time you press down (and keep it down) the "shift" button. It happened to me, I just had the marker on the wrong place and got the sign “no loco”.

Before you see it in your MS 2 you must register the loco into the MS 2 till the mfx decoder has recognized and downloaded all information from your loco into the MS 2. It does not go quickly and can cause a while. If nothing happens probably your cabling inside is not correctly done.

The 60982 is a mfx decoder. You are absolutely certain, you followed the enormous requirements from the manual building in into the loco? Have set up everything correctly? Of course I cannot tell you what you did wrong. I haven't seen your loco and the connections you set up. But entering it manually will not work under another track format till you have deactivated the mfx track format. See in the manual “Digital Operation” (page 22).

Have you done all calibrations for the new decoder? You are writing about a click noise from the decoder. I assume you have not set it on a single programming track while it wanted to start the calibration process? Although normally for a mfx decoder it is not necessary try it on a separate programming track again. For calibration purposes you shall not do any other operations on your layout. When I use my mfx locos for running at other layouts the mfx function is perfect. But after a repair, resetting or whatever maintenance I only use a separate programming track to start the loco again. If it is necessary or not, I do not care. You see many possibilities. Go ahead step by step and document what you have done. E.g. Maerklin even recommends by digitalizing a loco doing a picture from every single working step, just to follow up what you did and what you have not done.

But all my respect for you doing the digital conversion for your old 3084. I was not yet encouraged enough to do a similar step for my very old analogue locos like a 3021 V 200. I am still exercising with much newer locos.

Thanks TEEWolf, As I wrote in my reply to bph, I just went ahead soldering wires without studying the instructions properly. I was baffled by the difference between the actual decoder that I have, and the drawing in the instruction booklet of what appeared to be something entirely different. My decoder is a one piece item wrapped in plastic, whereas the drawing is of something in several parts. Plus, I spent a while trying to figure out which wire to use in place of the missing brown wire. I got it wrong again, but at least this time I didn't manage to fry the decoder.LOL John.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eberhardt
Offline bph  
#6 Posted : 08 December 2019 13:49:14(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Thank you. Once again I dived in head first without studying the instructions. I did notice a reference to N.E.M. but ignored it when looking for the brown wire which isn't there. Plus of course the diagram in the instructions is entirely different to the actual thing. I have a decoder which is small, rectangular and wrapped in black plastic, whereas the drawing in the instructions is more than one piece, (Very confusing) so I ignored the instructions thinking that I knew better. Now, I do know better, thanks again. John.

Glad you sorted it out, its an easy mistake and a bit confusing by Marklin. Have done my share of similar mistakes....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline eberhardt  
#7 Posted : 08 December 2019 21:43:19(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   

Glad you sorted it out, its an easy mistake and a bit confusing by Marklin. Have done my share of similar mistakes....

Cool Cool Thanks to you and TEEWolf I've finally got my old steamer running on digital. It's very smooth. Only 6 more steamers to do, I'll be like a production line soon, without all the swearing and cursing I did today, trying to understand where I was going wrong. So far, since I decided to go digital, I've only zapped 2 decoders, I can't afford to zap any more. Thanks to you two again. BigGrin BigGrin John.
Offline eberhardt  
#8 Posted : 08 December 2019 21:50:59(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Hi TEEWolf, My big mistake on the 3084 was in using the tag in the tender as a connection. After a long time swearing and cursing I finally did the right thing and got my test set out. The tag is not connected to anything????. I took the advice that you and bhp gave me and read the instructions in detail so now my 3084 is running nicely on digital. Thank you. John.