Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aos  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2019 13:40:17(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Some years back, I bought this starter set as my first entry into digital. To be honest, the loco has always been a bit suspect. The wheel inspection lamp would work intermittently. Upon putting the loco onto the track, it would always need a wee push at the back before it would start. Once going, it would run very nicely and the sounds were good.

I have stripped down the loco, cleaned it thoroughly and removed all signs of lubrication in case that was creating a problem. Then, I gave it a light oiling. Still the problem existed. I have swapped out the brushes in favour of another new pair. Still, no joy! If I stop the loco, even after she has run for some time, she still needs that we shove again to get her going. It makes no difference whether the loco is running from cold or has been running for some time.

The only reason that I had not returned it to Marklin is the costs involved in shipping etc. Today, she has given up the ghost completely. I have stripped the loco down. There is no apparent damage to the decoder, no loose wires, smell of burning etc. It won't talk to either my CS3+ or ms1. The loco makes an audible ticking sound and then causes both to trip the inbuilt safety circuits. Has anyone else had a problem with this particular loco? Thanks in advance, Alan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2019 16:38:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I would try replacing the armature. The need of a 'little push' to get running suggests one of the coils on the armature may have always been open circuit.

Offline aos  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2019 19:35:45(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Hi Alan, The search is on. Kind regards, Alan