Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2019 03:54:48(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

I have a Röwa speisewagen, I think it's 3214. Strange coupler. I can't figure out how to remove it and put in a Märklin coupler. Anybody ever done this?
Thanks,
Tom
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tommyheadleycox
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2019 06:03:40(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Please ignore my previous message. I finally was able to pull the coupler out of its NEM socket. I'd just never encountered one that required so much force to remove.

Regards,
Tom
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tommyheadleycox
Offline sjbartels  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2019 17:01:42(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: tommyheadleycox Go to Quoted Post
Please ignore my previous message. I finally was able to pull the coupler out of its NEM socket. I'd just never encountered one that required so much force to remove.

Regards,
Tom

I have several Röwa cars, and you're right, they are extremely hard to remove, they're fixed in there very tightly
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2019 04:47:20(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Thanks, it's good to know I wasn't the only one. BTW, which Märklin coupler did you get as a replacement? Here's another reply I got from Stummis Modellbahn Forum:

Hello Thomas,

Röwa had 2 coupling systems.

if the car has a short-coupling kinematics and a removable Ade coupling, it goes with a craft solution. The coupling shaft at RöWa / Ade is slightly lower than the later NEM shaft. You can file off a bit of height at the coupling socket (the two pins that are inserted in the coupling shaft) of the Märklin KK. Then the coupling head fits. But then you will have to file a little bit at the lower edges of the buffer, otherwise the coupling and buffer plate will get stuck.
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2019 03:48:30(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Originally Posted by: tommyheadleycox Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, it's good to know I wasn't the only one. BTW, which Märklin coupler did you get as a replacement? Here's another reply I got from Stummis Modellbahn Forum:

Hello Thomas,

Röwa had 2 coupling systems.

if the car has a short-coupling kinematics and a removable Ade coupling, it goes with a craft solution. The coupling shaft at RöWa / Ade is slightly lower than the later NEM shaft. You can file off a bit of height at the coupling socket (the two pins that are inserted in the coupling shaft) of the Märklin KK. Then the coupling head fits. But then you will have to file a little bit at the lower edges of the buffer, otherwise the coupling and buffer plate will get stuck.

Here are some fotos of the coupler and the empty pocket. I'm hoping that a Märklin 7203 will fit. Is that wishful thinking?outside.jpgattached.jpgdetached.jpg

Offline sjbartels  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2019 15:51:54(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
On my Röwa passenger cars, I used 7203 without any apparent issue... BUT they have not been run to truly test them. The Röwa tank cars that I have however, the 7203 did not work and so went ahead and used Märklin 72060 couplers. Mind you, I've had to do the same thing with Piko, and to a lesser extent, Roco, because of the length of the buffers. I really wanted to have only one coupler type across my entire system, but alas that's not going to happen, but settling for two types isn't too bad.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#7 Posted : 19 November 2019 04:23:46(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Many thanks for the assistance. Much appreciated.

Tom