Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2019 16:14:55(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

I have a nice ECOS controller which I think is the best DCC controller I have ever had - and I have had a few.

I crashed it to the floor last night and, on inspection, it turned out that a knob had fallen off, plus the S88 section was all adrift. I put it back together and switched it on. I then had a nasty smell of components burning out! From then on, the unit was dead. This was around 4pm. I called Natwest Insurance (who provide the cover for our apartment). After describing the problem, the girl at Natwest said that the item wasn't covered as they don't insure vehicles in their renters home contents cover! I rather choked at this and explained that it was a (semi shout) "Model Railway Controller" and she had second thoughts. I got an email asking me to fill in a form on the web which I did, along with photos of the broken unit and a short video showing the situation. We are now at around 5pm.

This morning at 8.50 I got a phone call asking me to get a quote for a replacement unit. He also said that if I sent this through they would arrange payment!

I live 10 minutes from Coastal DCC, who had one ECOS in stock. I now have a new unit at home, a quote off to Natwest and, according to them, a payment quickly.

Now I have the job of reloading the new ECOS with everything as I don't think that |I have a backup. Never mind, it could be a lot worse.

One funny thing. The first girl made sure that I understood that my premiums might rise because of the claim. I laughed. She asked why. I pointed out that we only pay £47 a year as we live in an apartment and only have contents and risk cover - no buildings cover. They could double our premiums and it would still take 10 years for it to be dearer than buying a new one myself!

I thought that this service from Natwest was exceptional. Oh, and how good is it having Kevin of Coastal DCC just around the corner?
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2019 17:55:38(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I hope everything works out for you.
Please be sure to write here when they pay up!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2019 10:50:14(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
I hope everything works out for you.
Please be sure to write here when they pay up!

Received the payment into our bank account today. 7 days after they agreed to the claim and requested a quote for the unit.

I think that this service was exceptional!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2019 12:03:35(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Good insurance, no doubt!
To put a bit pepper on this thread, I wonder to know if the CS3/CS3+ is more or less rugged than the Ecos :)
I will not test with my CS3+.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.