Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Valdamikill  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2019 03:56:38(UTC)
Valdamikill

Canada   
I have written on the HO forum that I have inherited a large collection of HO and Z scale trains.

I have set up a very basic oval layout to test the Z scale trains, but I unclear on how to connect the wires on the 8590 feeder track.

I understand that the brown wire is on the left and the red on the right, but I don't know how to secure them under the little clips. I obviously run the other ends into the back of the transformer and I'm hopefully good to go.

I'm sure it's a very simple explanation, but I am struggling at the moment.

Thanks.IMG_3655.JPGIMG_3656.JPG
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2019 04:48:32(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. You have an older controller and the instructions for this may be difficult to find. Perhaps you may find this manual useful, just apply it to your current components.

https://static.maerklin....4efc314a241467728310.pdf

I found this on Marklin.de

Usually the terminals have a twist off under which the wires may be secured. Just unscrew it a bit. It is also possible to attach banana plugs on the end of the wire and press it into the hole on the terminals.

Usually I connect the controller and two wires to the track and with the loco right in front, turn the dial in one direction and observe the direction the loco takes. Think of the pointer on the controller as pointing the direction of the loco. If it moves opposite, reverse the wires.

Best wishes
Offline Crazy Harry  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2019 04:59:28(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
8590.png

On the connector track press down on the tab I've put the yellow dot on, you will see an hole in the metal piece that sticks up (red line). Stick the stripped bare wire into the hole and release the tab. Make sure the bare ends of the wires do not touch the other terminal.

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2019 05:01:50(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
The track connections have two thin vertical posts with a hole through the center. Push down on the spring contact then feed the bared section of wire sideways through the hole and release the spring contact to clamp it.

Hope this helps.

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Valdamikill  
#5 Posted : 11 November 2019 05:07:58(UTC)
Valdamikill

Canada   
Thank you all for the information. Of course it was as simple as pushing down on that metal spring.

So I have the track powered and am having two different issues.

1. The majority of my trains will not move at all. Lights come on for some of them, and for some nothing happens. I have at least one train that runs quick and smooth so I know the problem isn't with the track.

How do I clean these little guys and get them moving again? Is there a youtube video you can recommend?

2. On the back part of the oval, the track doesn't sit flat and when the train goes over it, the cars keep uncoupling. I just have it resting on my basement countertop for now - but is there a suggestion to help prevent this? I was going to replace half of the track and hope that it will sit flat then if I can't fix it.
Offline Crazy Harry  
#6 Posted : 11 November 2019 05:20:15(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Valdamikill Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for the information. Of course it was as simple as pushing down on that metal spring.

So I have the track powered and am having two different issues.

1. The majority of my trains will not move at all. Lights come on for some of them, and for some nothing happens. I have at least one train that runs quick and smooth so I know the problem isn't with the track.

How do I clean these little guys and get them moving again? Is there a youtube video you can recommend?

2. On the back part of the oval, the track doesn't sit flat and when the train goes over it, the cars keep uncoupling. I just have it resting on my basement countertop for now - but is there a suggestion to help prevent this? I was going to replace half of the track and hope that it will sit flat then if I can't fix it.

1. The trains are probably suffering from hardened oil syndrome. You can open them and try to coax the armature into turning, do not try to rotate the wheels almost all Z locos have a worm gear drive on the motor, you'll just spin the wheels on the axle and create bigger problems. Have a look at this thread about reviving an old set: https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...How-to-revive-an-old-set.

2. Z track does that sometimes, maybe the plastic ties are warped. Usually I pin my track to a foam board or old ceiling tile (from a suspended ceiling). You can try to stick it to your countertop with some double sided tape.

Hope this helps,

Harold.
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 11 November 2019 06:39:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Double-sided tape is quick and simple.

Z-track is really small and it's easy to get a track join with the rail not actually inside the joiner but running your fingertip across the joins or pushing a wagon you should easily be able to feel if it is uneven

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz