Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mikemasey  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2019 03:56:54(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
G-day all,
I would like to convert one of my Ho DC models to run on my 3 rail Marklin.
Is it as easy as fitting a pickup shoe and using a full wave rectifier(yes I know it will only work in one direction).
Are there any other better methods?

As always thanks for any assistance.

Regards

Mike.,

Edited by moderator 01 November 2019 13:23:21(UTC)  | Reason: Correction to 'Conferting' in topic heading

Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2019 04:19:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
its all depends which type of loco you're referring to: diesel, steam or electrics., there are ways of converting 2 rail to 3 rail and the question is also are they digital or analog.
adding a decoder into the loco has some benefits, you can run them analog or digital , running them digital there is very little you have to do except finding a room under bogie, diesel or tank locos are more difficult to convert unless a.) the loco had been produced in an AC version whereas tender locos you could find room for a slider under the tender, E-locos may not need any conversion except to change wires from the isolated axle and combine them so both axles has a track contact and than run them from the overhead system, like I do., all my newly acquired E-locos have been DC., if you don't run them from the overhead system you have the same situation as diesel and tank locos.

another option I also engaged in was to add electrical coupling to the loco and than used a suitable carriage to add the slider.

regards.,

John

P.S, you've made a small printing error with your index finger : Conferting
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2019 07:38:11(UTC)
applor

Australia   
The DC model will have a DC motor so you cannot run it analogue with AC, I doubt a bridge rectifier would work but with a DC motor already it would be so much easier to install a cheap DCC decoder (AC analog compatible) and a pickup shoe and re-wire both wheel axles to earth.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2019 14:05:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Let's start with identifying the model you want to convert.
Some models were manufactured with the intent of being easily converted. Others might require more work.
The essential details include:

Mounting a slider or power cable
Connecting right and left wheel contacts to common return.
Installing electronic reverse unit or digital decoder. Today, a cheap digital decoder will allow your lok to understand AC commands, analog or digital (Motorola). MFX or other might cost more.
It also depends on whether the model already has electronics (circuit board) or direct wire to motor/lights, as the electronics might just require some slight rewiring to convert for AC use, pop in a suitable decoder and slider and you may be off and running.

Once you let us know which model you want to convert, hopefully we can give you information more specific to your particular project.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mikemasey  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2019 00:34:27(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
Good morning all,
thanks for all the hints.
I have a number of years ago converted an old Joeuf shunter with a suitable slider and bridge rectifier. It ran great but only in one direction off coarse. The other problem is that with the rectifier you only have half the voltage and it is chopped, the result is that you need nearly full throttle but the chopping sound is great(no need for DCC)!
I may think about fitting a full wave rectifier circuit to give better control.

I shall be converting a Lima Ho BR Class 33 Bo-Bo diesel(DC) about 2/3rd's the size of a V200 so plenty of room inside and room to fit a slider to the main drive boggle.

I run mainly German 60,s era with a few other European bits. The BR loco will be an "overseas visitor" esp if the pommies leave the EEC, EU or Common Market.

Regards,

Mike.
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2019 01:25:54(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If it looks like the one in this video, you should be able to convert it:

I do not know if there is space underneath to mount a slider.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mikemasey  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2019 08:29:52(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
20191101_171630.jpg

G-Day all,

after a bit of jiggling around I eventually managed to convert my Ho Lima Class 33 Diesel to 3 rail. All it took was a simple IC full way rectifier. There is no reverse but that is ok.
Continuing on with the Lima tradition of putting any railway company's logo on the side I ended up using a Marklin 3004 Baggage wagon with a pick up shoe as there wasnt enough room in the loco, it is as I say painted and labeled to look like a BR wagon!
With this success I am all geared up to see what other Ho loco's need the same treatment...

Regards,

Mike.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mikemasey