Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LNorthway  
#1 Posted : 28 September 2019 21:39:00(UTC)
LNorthway

Canada   
Have just purchased an old Marklin train set which sat in a steamer trunk for about 50 years. Just learning about the items. Have the engines running. Everything seems fine. Now trying to figure out the basic transformer #6440... it has an audible hum. Is this normal?

Also have a #6014 transformer (with a European plug). Everything in this purchase came from a friend who lived in West Germany when he was younger and moved to Canada about 40 years ago. Has not used the train since then. Cannot figure what the #6014 transformer might be used for. Noticed on the table on the front panel it is 50hz... therefore, I will assume it is for Europe only???

Looking forward to some comments! Thank you!

Lawrence Northway
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2019 11:38:51(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: LNorthway Go to Quoted Post
Have just purchased an old Marklin train set which sat in a steamer trunk for about 50 years. Just learning about the items. Have the engines running. Everything seems fine. Now trying to figure out the basic transformer #6440... it has an audible hum. Is this normal?

Also have a #6014 transformer (with a European plug). Everything in this purchase came from a friend who lived in West Germany when he was younger and moved to Canada about 40 years ago. Has not used the train since then. Cannot figure what the #6014 transformer might be used for. Noticed on the table on the front panel it is 50hz... therefore, I will assume it is for Europe only???

Looking forward to some comments! Thank you!

Lawrence Northway

Hi Lawrence and welcome.

Generally the hum would not be a problem, many transformers do it, some more loudly than others.

But given the age, you should be aware of some safety issues, specifically the main cord as per this article...

https://www.marklin-user...me-a-huge-230-Volt-shock

Best to determine if your Trafo has an old & potentially dangerous rubber cord, or a more recent plastic cord. If in any doubt, have a professional check it for you.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2019 15:31:42(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
My view is buy a new transformer (power pack) which will last for years and is safe and does the job properly.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline LNorthway  
#4 Posted : 29 September 2019 15:52:40(UTC)
LNorthway

Canada   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
My view is buy a new transformer (power pack) which will last for years and is safe and does the job properly.

Thank you! Will toss the old one... the power cord was all rotted. Replaced it, and did not notice anything inside, but regardless, will just buy a new one! ... Lawrence
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by LNorthway