Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2019 23:37:48(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

I love to tinker with components. Now I'm going to tinker with an ancient 3021 diesel with an experiment. My "null hypothesis" is: "Converting the LFCM motor with a 60944 5 pole kit yields no more smoothly running effects than retaining the 3 pole armature and adding a permanent magnet, when using the same decoder." I'll post results. But the reason I'm posting in the first place is to ask y'all: How would such an experiment be set up according to research methodology? Kind insane to ask, I know, because you'd have to convert a huge sample number. I guess I'll "know it when I see it" in terms jerky running at slow speeds.

Thanks for listening,
Tom
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tommyheadleycox
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2019 23:55:58(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
a grand experiment indeed!

The numbers could be brought up with numerous speed measurements, but as you say the sample size is still one decoder.

Would the 3-pole armature be worn or also new?

Would the 5-pole be able to travel slower, lower minimum speed?

Perhaps the null hypothesis could be modified slightly, to also qualify that the decoder employs back EMF and that the tests will be done with 126 speed steps (not 14 and not 27).

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2019 00:34:22(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
a grand experiment indeed!

The numbers could be brought up with numerous speed measurements, but as you say the sample size is still one decoder.

Would the 3-pole armature be worn or also new?

Would the 5-pole be able to travel slower, lower minimum speed?

Perhaps the null hypothesis could be modified slightly, to also qualify that the decoder employs back EMF and that the tests will be done with 126 speed steps (not 14 and not 27).

Thanks,Dale. It was exactly these kind of parameters I was looking for. I guess I'll have to list them all, e.g;

-Brand new 60944 kit with 2 motor covers and a 5 pole armature
-Brand new permanent magnet from ESU, retaining existing 3 pole armataure.
-128 speed steps.

Background reasons for this experiment: I always wanted to take math, statistics, chemistry,engineering, and physics in high school, college, and grad school. They're so interesting and the only way we have to "prove" anything. But I dare not take them, cause I'd fail! I just struggled so hard. My mind tended instead towards writing, literature, and English. But NOW I can experiment without ruining my grade point average, 40 years later. (I just wish my twins had somehow inherited math aptitude instead of my liberal arts aptitude.)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tommyheadleycox
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 27 September 2019 00:35:19(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Great!!!!
Yes, it is important that both armatures are new, of course brushes too. Would also be important to use the same chassis? In those old machines tolerances were higher and that may affect the results. A fun thing to do no doubt.
In the "my experience" side, connversions made with Hamo magnets were all upgraded to 5-pole in time because of to me bad running beahviour.
regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 27 September 2019 03:12:00(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: tommyheadleycox Go to Quoted Post
But I dare not take them, cause I'd fail!

well, I can tell you not many people even know what a Null hypothesis is.... refreshing to see mention of one! So don't sell yourself short! Good engineering also includes the ability to document and describe the results... so your writing is also critical....

Does the 60944 decoder use back EMF ? (I always installed ESU decoders as they were always ahead of mother M)

I suspect the firmware of the decoder is what is most important.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 27 September 2019 03:31:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Tommy, its not only the motor, perm magnet 5 pole armature or 3 pole armature it depends on the decoder as well.
I can tell you right from the beginning you will not get smooth running at low speed from a 3 pole motor unless the new V 5.0 ESU decoder has the means of overcoming the slow speed syndrome..

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#7 Posted : 27 September 2019 05:21:23(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Tommy, its not only the motor, perm magnet 5 pole armature or 3 pole armature it depends on the decoder as well.
I can tell you right from the beginning you will not get smooth running at low speed from a 3 pole motor unless the new V 5.0 ESU decoder has the means of overcoming the slow speed syndrome..

John

Aha! Thanks, John, for bringing up ANOTHER consideration. And how to "control" for this one, I'm not even sure. To your knowledge is the new v 5.0 ESU decoder "different" from the v 4.0 ESU, in how it handles the slow speed syndrome? Also, I thought of another pesky element that could confound the results. If I install a permanent magnet in the existing LFSCM universal motor, and keep the 3 pole armature, I haven't changed anything except the armature. On the other hand, if I install the components from a Märklin 60944 conversion kit, I install a new motor cover as well! That's a "confounding" variable. Rats.

I'm beginning to think that I need to tweak my null hypothesis to the following: "In a digitally controlled scenario, converting a Märklin LFCM motor with a 60944 5 pole kit does not absolutely guarantee smoother running effects than would retaining the 3 pole armature and adding a permanent magnet. Given enough time and patience by the operator to choose a satisfactory digital decoder for the 3 pole motor and enough time and patience to adjust CV's for optimum slow running, the supposed advantage in the 5 pole solution for slow running will not be observable or measurable."

WHEW! That took a while, but it's better. One thing that worries me is the tension on the motor covers. I've read that too much tension can affect smooth operation. I'll have to be careful to adjust both covers to optimum tension.

Thanks for listening,
Tom
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by tommyheadleycox
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 27 September 2019 08:57:03(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I had a hunch, and the comments from Dale and John kind of confirms it;
I suspect that;
Electro-mechanically the 5-pole will yield better low-speed performance, and bigger torque all out. BUT... the decoder has the power (and magic, lol) to "overcome" and "compensate" for the deficiencies of the 3-pole, making it practically as good-looking as the 5-pole.

In the end, the decoder-factor might be so all-out important, that it would make more sense with a systematic test of different decoders. I beleive that many RR magazines has done that already, and does it every time a new generation of decos hits the market.
In any event I will be very interested in your results!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 27 September 2019 09:34:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Tommy, I'm not an expert in electronics and every time we have an update of a decoder more gadgets or programming options you have. I was happy with the V 4.0 decoder and to be honest I don't know the benefits a new V 5.0 brings. to me its all more confusing but ESU reckons you can tinker with motor control CV's even more, I haven't been able to proof or disproof any improvements.
your decoder will decide which motor will run better at low speed and unless you're fortunate to have a lokprogrammer changing CV's without a Lok programmer, I'm hopeless.
I've tried to run an ESU perm magnet + 3 pole armature + V 4.0 decoder and had no luck in getting the loco run smooth at low speed.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#10 Posted : 27 September 2019 14:31:34(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

John, I realized early along the way with my ESU decoders that I would have to get a Lokprogrammer. So at least that's done. What I found impenetrably difficult was the many separate CV's, all related to smooth operation. They are tied together and represent a moving target. But with enough patience I finally began to "get it", at least a bit. (What is truly, truly impenetrable for my poor beleagured brain is function mapping/sound slot assignment, but that's a topic for another thread.)

Today I order a Märklin 60944 conversion kit and an ESU 51960 to begin the experiment. Oh, by the way, my central controller is an Intellibox. I guess I could also use the JMRI throttle or the Lokprogrammer throttle.

Thanks to all for listening.

Tom
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#11 Posted : 18 October 2019 00:17:08(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

First results of this experiment are in and they are surprising; and I haven't even gotten to the 5 pole yet. A Loksound 5 decoder, ESU #58429, produced extremely poor results with the converted Märklin motor. Autotuning made no difference. There was extreme cogging/jerkiness. It was so bad I was suspicious. So I removed the 58429 decoder and installed a brand new 58513 decoder, the
Loksound 5 XL for large scale. The result was excellent running at step 1. I didn't even need autotuning. It was really surprising and it rendered my original experiment somewhat moot. I saw that a 3 pole rotor, in and of itself, is no impediment to smooth digital operation. Period. But why did the XL perform perfectly as soon as I applied power, but the 58429 did not? I had assumed that vs 5 firmware is the exact same across all decoder sizes, from micro to "regular" to L to XL.

Strange. Any comments?

Tom