Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2019 09:52:24(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I love buying quirky things and the Jim Button and Lukas set with Emma is Marklin's quirkiest thing since the pig loco (and we have two of these!)... Smile

The box is impressive and comes with lots of c-track RollEyes, a controller, a transformer, and Emma the loco. Yes, it also comes with Jim Button, Lukas and a "Molly" loco. No wagons. Very odd for a start set, until you realise that for most of the movie (my copy is STILL coming from Amazon Australia - never ordering from them again!) Emma does not ride with wagons.

Emma comes with lights and sound from a mFx decoder. The loco has a plastic body with a removable roof so that the Jim Button and Lukas figures can be inserted into the cab area. On its own the loco runs well at very slow speeds, but its light weight means that you need to have some speed going through the turnouts..

As you can see from the image below, Emma is big! Emma also only weighs 135g, while the little Swedish shunter on the right weighs 221g.
UserPostedImage

One of the, sadly many, problems with Emma is that her size means that you need to make sure that your signals are absolutely vertical otherwise she will hit them and fall over. As seen below.
UserPostedImage

There is not much clearance - German precision engineering is at work here..
UserPostedImage

Oppps.. Another signal not quite vertical!
UserPostedImage

As Emma is so light it cannot pull the entire collection. The image below shows the recommended maximum train running on a level surface.
UserPostedImage

Here is the video of the attempt at pulling the entire collection. Not pretty.

Summary
Value ***** Great price! Even down here
Child fun ***** Sadly, my only child is now 20, but my guess is that most 3-7 year olds will love thus AFTER they have seen the movie
Child proof ***** Not much to break off here and because it is made of plastic (except for the wheels) it will be very hard to pound their younger siblings with it. Scared
Playability ** If you only run the loco on the supplied track, then you get 5 stars, but adding it to an existing layout is difficult if you have lots of signals to impossible if you have centenary or tunnels.. That smoke stack is 105mm above the rail!
Expandability **** You can buy lots of extra items to complement this set. 44815, 44816, 44817, 44818 and 48618.
Buyer's satisfaction *** I have slight regrets. Mainly, because it can't pull the whole collection. The additional wagon sets feel like a money grab by Marklin. If there had been a second loco available to pull some of the wagons, I would not have any remorse. Maybe there is a sequel to the movie?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline PJMärklin  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2019 11:24:10(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I love buying quirky things and the Jim Button and Lukas set with Emma is Marklin's quirkiest thing since the pig loco (and we have two of these!)... Smile ...

Go for it Adrian !!!ThumpUp

Regards,

PhilipBigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin