Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 13 September 2019 10:25:50(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
From day one, I have been disappointed with the sound in my 39674. Admittedly, I haven't been near an MY for at least 25 years, but it's not like I remember it.

This is what it should sound like:

I don't think Marklin is very close, so what sound do they actually use?

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2019 11:36:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
They have a 2 stroke 16 cylinder engines and most probably an American diesel sound from ESU would be more suitable.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline morsing  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2019 11:49:08(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
They have a 2 stroke 16 cylinder engines and most probably an American diesel sound from ESU would be more suitable.

John

So why do Marklin do it? All they money they spend on developing these models, the least effort would be to buy the correct off-the-shelf sound files...
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2019 15:30:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post

So why do Marklin do it? All they money they spend on developing these models, the least effort would be to buy the correct off-the-shelf sound files...

Good question.

Have you tried loading the sound files for some of their North American diesels? To me at least some of them sound a good bit like the sounds of that prototype.

I know that for some of their newer and more expensive models they have recorded the sounds from actual operating locos but most of their sounds seem to be pretty generic. Of course there are limited operational prototypes for most of their models and doing that would not even be possible.

It would be nice if they would at least buy the appropriate sounds for each type of loco and cylinder arrangement. Maybe ESU won't sell the files to them now that they are in direct competition and I don't know what the other options for those files might be.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2019 21:34:45(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Morsing,

I agree with you.

I have numerous MY and MZ loco and without doubt the best sounds are those from Roco with sound decoders...

On one of my MY loco, fitted with Esu sound decoder, I loaded a compatible North American sound file with full throttle feature. Lots of fun.

The problem I find with many Marklin sounds is the lack of depth and bass (treble to predominant). When the long horn goes e.g. on my MZ Roco it just sounds awesome!

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Jabez  
#6 Posted : 14 September 2019 18:36:21(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post

I have numerous MY and MZ loco and without doubt the best sounds are those from Roco with sound decoders...
Lasse

I can't speak about Diesels, but this is my impression for Roco steamers vs Maerklin. Some Roco steam whistles even have an echo note that sounds after a prolonged blast...very authentic.
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline morsing  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2019 19:48:11(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

There are plenty of Nohabs and other 2-stroke EMDs around for Marklin to do their own recordings, or I'm sure the guy from Danske-Loksounds would be thrilled about a deal with Marklin for them using his superb recordings.

Speaking to Danske-Loksounds, he is saying he can't over-write the sound files on Marklin decoders, I would have to replace it with an ESU decoder which he can programme. He did say that it meant the cabin lights would stop working as they're wired in an odd way in Marklin models.

So, what do people think? Should I replace the decoder in my Marklin 39674 with an ESU LokSound decoder or would that be silly?

Thanks
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline Danlake  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2019 20:47:28(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
If you can afford it I would recommend replacing decoder with an Esu loksound.

Have a look here, lots of compatible EMD engines:

http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/4

Here is a video about full throttle:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B7vYeViVf5U

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline morsing  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2019 21:11:43(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
If you can afford it I would recommend replacing decoder with an Esu loksound.

Have a look here, lots of compatible EMD engines:

Hi,

I would replace it with the genuine MY decoder from Danske Loksounds.

Thanks
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by morsing
Offline morsing  
#10 Posted : 20 September 2019 09:22:53(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Hi again,

If I buy a LokSound decoder, can someone tell me if I should go for the 8- or 21-pin decoder? What would be the reason behind choosing either? Is it just the number of controllable functions?

I would really like to fit Telex couplers to this loco, it will hopefully be easier with a LokSound.

Also, Danske-Loksounds told me you can't control the cab lighting on Marklin locos with ESU decoders, does anyone know why?

Thanks
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline bph  
#11 Posted : 20 September 2019 10:05:18(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Hi again,

If I buy a LokSound decoder, can someone tell me if I should go for the 8- or 21-pin decoder? What would be the reason behind choosing either? Is it just the number of controllable functions?

I would really like to fit Telex couplers to this loco, it will hopefully be easier with a LokSound.

Also, Danske-Loksounds told me you can't control the cab lighting on Marklin locos with ESU decoders, does anyone know why?

Thanks

Hi
You should go for a 21 pin if you want aux functions.
Cabin light should be possible, but most likely you need to add a resistor if its led light.(one for each led and guessing around 1.3k or 1.5k)
Are you replacing the speaker as well?

Please let us know how it turns out.
Offline morsing  
#12 Posted : 20 September 2019 10:07:53(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

Hi again,

Thanks

Cabin light should be possible, but most likely you need to add a resistor if its led light.(one for each led and guessing around 1.3k or 1.5k)

Thanks but are you just guessing or have you tried it? I'm pretty sure Danske-Loksounds know what they're doing. He said the lights are wired oddly and will be permanently on if you just hook them up to a LokSound decoder.
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 20 September 2019 10:25:32(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Thanks but are you just guessing or have you tried it?

I'm only guessing; but there must be a way - we just have to find that way BigGrin

It could be that you should build new LEDs in, or have a transistor to "reverse" the signal
from the ESU decoder; but it can't be impossible.

Per.

P.S: If you know Peer from "Hobbykælderen" in Fredericia, you should give him a call,
he is extremely helpful and knows his stuff ´very well.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 20 September 2019 13:03:27(UTC)
H0

From 2004 until about 2011 Märklin used ESU decoders - and those ESU decoders can control the cab lights. For those locos it also works with ESU decoders bought separately.
Their statement is not generally true. There are problems with some models while it works with others. And AIUI Märklin is to blame, not ESU.

And when you convert an analogue loco you are responsible to get the cab lights working with appropriate wiring.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 20 September 2019 17:34:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I heard a rumour that Maerklin asked one of it's employees to build a database of locomotive sounds, so the fellow went downstairs to the Maerklin collection library where they keep one of every model made since the company was founded. He dutifully recorded each of the locomotives and since then, Maerklin's locomotives with sound correctly reproduce the sound of the originals.

As far as actually going outside and recording an actual locomotive... That was not in the job description.

Parts of this story following the word I and ending with the word description may have been dramatized for effect.

Regards

Mike C
Offline morsing  
#16 Posted : 20 September 2019 17:37:32(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Their statement is not generally true. There are problems with some models while it works with others. And AIUI Märklin is to blame, not ESU.

But their statement was not a general one, it was specific to my loco. And they blamed Marklin, not ESU.

I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about.
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline Purellum  
#17 Posted : 20 September 2019 18:25:13(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about.

Probably as a "normal" conversion; but a lot of things are possible if you think out of the box BigGrin

Since I don't have this loco myself, I would really like to see a few pictures of the internals,
since Danske Loksound apparently didn't tell you why they think it can't be done Cool

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 20 September 2019 19:26:12(UTC)
TEEWolf

From day one, I have been disappointed with the sound in my 39674. Admittedly, I haven't been near an MY for at least 25 years, but it's not like I remember it.

Thanks

In guess in one of the MM was a story as Maerklin produces their sound files. But just try first here. You can even listen to the sound directly by the website at your computer.

Please note: you only achieve access to these files via the German Maerklin website. Please be aware about the article numbers of the decoders, which the sound can be used to. Mostly you get access first, after setting a tickmark in the little grey dot at the website.

Soundbibliothek
big zip file for the mDecoderTool
https://www.maerklin.de/...undbibliothek-fuer-msd3/

Standard sounds for mSD decoders
https://www.maerklin.de/...-mldmsd/standard-sounds/

Sounds for Diesellocos
https://www.maerklin.de/...er-mldmsd/diesel-sounds/

Sounds for Elektrolocos
https://www.maerklin.de/...r-mldmsd/elektro-sounds/

Sounds for Dampflocos
older decoders
https://www.maerklin.de/...der-mldmsd/dampf-sounds/

mSD/3 decoders
https://www.maerklin.de/...r-mld3msd3/dampf-sounds/

Finally software for the mDecoderTool to transfer the sound files onto your CS and locos.
https://www.maerklin.de/...mldmsd/mdecodertool-mdt/

AND
software for the mDecoderTool mDT3
https://www.maerklin.de/...3msd3/mdecodertool-mdt3/

Have fun and get your ears sound full and forget about rumors.BigGrin
Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 20 September 2019 21:02:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I presume that Marklin decoders control the lights if another manufacturer does not then not much you can do. pity the sound is not correct although with my locos I would not know what the original was like. The above post hopefully will give you something.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Purellum  
#20 Posted : 20 September 2019 22:04:45(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Have fun and get your ears sound full and forget about rumors.

Have you ever been close to a real Nohab MY?

Most Danes older than 30 - 40 years old grew up with those engines being everywhere Cool

I have the 28461 Nohab, rebuild from Delta to ESU sound by Peer from "Hobbykælderen" in Fredericia, it has a fantastic sound BigGrin

Even the newest Märklin Nohabs have an awful sound Crying Crying Crying

Per.

P.S: I also have two of the Heljan 1-gauge Nohabs, they have ESU sound you won't believe......... Cool

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#21 Posted : 21 September 2019 03:13:37(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool Have you ever been close to a real Nohab MY?

Most Danes older than 30 - 40 years old grew up with those engines being everywhere Cool

I have the 28461 Nohab, rebuild from Delta to ESU sound by Peer from "Hobbykælderen" in Fredericia, it has a fantastic sound BigGrin

Per.

P.S: I also have two of the Heljan 1-gauge Nohabs, they have ESU sound you won't believe......... Cool

Cool

No I did not. I even did not know that Nohabs are in use in Germany. But they are.

Märklin has build some of them already.

https://www.nohab-gm.de/modelle/spur-h0/maerklin

But sound is not my first priority. Even the sound of my new Insider V 320 is not the best one and quite noisy. But it is as it is. Although I know and have the technical capability to change it, I leave it as it is.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline kimballthurlow  
#22 Posted : 21 September 2019 06:54:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool Have you ever been close to a real Nohab MY?

Per.

Cool

..did not know that Nohabs are in use in Germany. But they are.
.. Märklin has build some of them already.

..But sound is not my first priority. Even the sound of my new Insider V 320 is not the best one and quite noisy. But it is as it is. Although I know and have the technical capability to change it, I leave it as it is.

Thanks Wolf for those videos - they are awesome.
We had GM locos here in Queensland from about 1957, and they sounded just like those Nohabs.
I must say that generally the sounds in model loks (including Maerklin) is not all that impressive.
Yet when I installed Maerklin MSD in a couple of my US brass steam models, they were really good. .... ?

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#23 Posted : 21 September 2019 09:45:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
My problem is when buying a Märklin loco I convert it to digital and sound decoder and whatever is in the loco will be removed, hence I don't buy any with sound although lately some Märklin sound decoders are pretty good but knowing which is alright and which is not wouldn't be easy to establish.
I don't think the Märklin Nohab has ever had a new design.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Goofy  
#24 Posted : 21 September 2019 09:47:46(UTC)
Goofy

Thanks

Hello!
Märklin delivery standard sound files.
I have a Märklin V200 but the sounds are not impressive and not even acoustic sounds.
If Märklin did just keep on by cooperate with ESU we would have far better experience with the sounds and files.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Purellum  
#25 Posted : 21 September 2019 10:18:44(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

But sound is not my first priority.

For some of us, sound is a priority, and I think that's exactly what this topic is about........... Cool

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#26 Posted : 21 September 2019 10:35:56(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

No I did not. I even did not know that Nohabs are in use in Germany. But they are.

Yes, even though your second video is from Denmark LOL

Märklin has build some of them already.

The locos in your videos are repainted from the originally Danish paint scheme, Märklin did just the same Laugh

Here you can see what 1155 looked like before: https://www.jernbanen.dk...lo.php?s=8&lokid=180

And here 1029, which is an MX, not an MY: https://www.jernbanen.dk...olo.php?s=8&lokid=29

Here are pictures of every boy's dreams in the 1960s and 1970s, from the Danish "Anders And" ( Donald Duck ): https://www.google.com/s...1280&bih=610#imgrc=_

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline morsing  
#27 Posted : 21 September 2019 16:41:40(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Hi,

Sound is a priority to me. It what makes the realism and even more, it's what takes me back to those days. The sound of walking down the side of the train. We didn't have a car from 1980 to 1995, so always went by train, MRs, MAs and MYs, and on that rare occasion an MZ!

Every time I start up my Marklin MY, it annoys me. It shouldn't be like that. I found out from a Danish forum that they actually complained to the Danish Marklin representative about it, that's how bad it is!

And I don't know where all the hostility towards Danske Loksounds come from, I wouldn't hesitate to call them an expert in the field.

I can do anything I want. I can 3D print my own MY, programme my own micro-controller and add sound files etc. and I will look in to the cab light situation. Sometimes things inside models are so tight though, that it can be difficult adding your own wiring.

All Danske Loksounds said in the single mail I could get out of them was that if I just swapped the controller out, the cab light would be on permanently, no more, no less.

Thanks
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline Purellum  
#28 Posted : 21 September 2019 17:13:30(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

And I don't know where all the hostility towards Danske Loksounds come from

I hope it's not my posts you find hostile towards Danske Loksounds; because then something got lost i translation Cool

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#29 Posted : 21 September 2019 19:07:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I'm from Montreal, so when it comes down to Habs vs Nohabs, Habs are going to win every time...

For those who don't know, Habs is the nickname for the Montreal Canadiens, abbreviated from les Habitants, the full nickname earned by the team from it's Quebec fans.

As far as sounds, Maerklin's sound package is often way behind that of it's rivals. Of all my sound loks, the Roco ones with Zimo decoders have the best sounds in terms of realism and content.

I think Maerklin still has a generic diesel and electric file for some models. I did like the package on the SBB ES64F4 from a few years back, but it still could have been better.

These days, companies like Roco are using sound profiles developed by other companies, some affiliated with certain dealers, like Memoba related LeoSoundLab https://www.memoba.at/de.../leo/leo_sound_lab.html, or Loc&More https://www.locandmore.eu

I presume that if somebody wanted to work on a project for Maerklin, they might be open to it, if the cost is reasonable.

Regards

Mike C

Offline kiwiAlan  
#30 Posted : 22 September 2019 13:19:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I have to admit that I am most disappointed in the sound from the second Insider loco of 2018, it sounds like it has been recorded with the microphone at the end of a tube or pipe. It certainly doesn't sound 'natural' for a steam loco.

Offline michelvr  
#31 Posted : 22 September 2019 16:16:28(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Morsing,

For a Nohab diesel what you should hear is this;

Having sound on you equipment elevates the experience of the real railroad.

Having the correct sound on a locomotive including the horn as heard in the the next video produces excitement, that goes to show you how much of a difference sound can make!

Imagine having your friends over when you play this!

Edited by user 22 September 2019 21:23:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline kiwiAlan  
#32 Posted : 22 September 2019 17:15:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

Imagine having your friends over when you play this!

Yep, nothing quite like having someone commentating at such a volume it overrides what you are really trying to record ... Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline michelvr  
#33 Posted : 22 September 2019 17:38:10(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Okay now for the serious stuff!

As I program all my ESU decoders I decided for the interest of community spirt comradeship that I will create a Nohab sound file conversation on a 64499 ESU LokSound V4.0 M4 21 pin plug decoder that I have.

Presently it will take about an half hour so in the mean time here are some pictures.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#34 Posted : 22 September 2019 20:17:28(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I'm a little late but like usual life gets in the way........

Here it is direct sound recording from the ESU decoder tester recorded on my iPhone.

Please note I had to upload the sound file to YouTube for it to work.

Once I figure everything out when it comes to sounds and movies I will be more professional in my presentations! Until then.......

The sound file came from the ESU LokSound V4.0 European Sound files. Seek link below

http://projects.esu.eu/p...ch?cat=1&q=Dub+nohab