Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2019 16:35:13(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
As many here know, I am on the autism spectrum. I have been asked to set up my trains for a walking event for Autism Speaks down in Indianapolis. In the past I have joined forces with another local modeler and just taken a couple of my G scale trains. But this year, money is very tight and I will be riding my motorscooter to the event instead of my gas drinking Jeep. My old set up wont fit in my old Jeep, so a new set up is needed. I am thinking M track to run my old 3060 F units on would be perfect to just pack in my scooter and set up a temporary layout at these events or other shows. I put a post in the wanted area for what I am needed. I put a conversion magnet in the 3060 for the moment so I can run on DC power instead of AC. I lack a Marklin transformer and only have a tiny loop of C track. SO if anybody stateside has a decent loop of M track and a spare transformer that wont cost me much, please PM me. The set up is coming up fast, the 28th of this month. I only got asked yesterday, so very short notice. I have quite a bit of room to take stuff on my scooter, from the roll bag on the rear rack, to the cubby under the seat. I hope to get one of the magnet cranes before the next set up, but those are out of my budget right now unless I sell some non Marklin trains/or trade them. Even if I can borrow the track and transformer or get you funds once things are not as tight. In a pinch, a handfull of straight sections of C track would work, I just like M track better for that vintage look and feel, and it would tollerate being thrown in a box/grocery bag and not get chipped or cracked like C track roadbed can. I will get some pics and video of whatever I am able to set up this time. Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline artfull dodger  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2019 18:13:33(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Here is my setup from the spring Autism Ablity Fest. My wife and I had both my old G scale loop on some show tables and my small 55" by 33" Marklin C track loop with Uhlenbrock digital control. But, right now I do not have a digital equipted model and am unsure what to do with my 3060. She run very sluggish on the 14 volt AC power on the track. I converted her to DC power for now with a ESU magnet and removal of the reversing relay assembly. Once I have a normal Marklin transformer, I will put the AC drive parts back in and see if she will run any better. I need to see if my Mars light circuit I added will run on AC power though.
UserPostedImage

The original plan was to add the Marklin magnet crane and a USA style town to the layout. But I sold the vehicle that the layout fit in. The new vehicle, the layout has to stick out the rear window unless we take my friends pickup truck. its also a digital only layout right now. I was thinking of backdating to M track and restore the layouts first track plan I built on it years ago. Back then it had a German theme, this time will be USA but with quality German built Marklin! Here is that track plan.

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 14 September 2019 08:07:17(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have extra M track, turnouts, control boxes and a spare transformer. I live in Gurnee, Ill. Do you have a list of what you need for proposed track plan? I have time on Thursday or Wednesday to drop things off by you and later when you are done to can mail them back to me. PM me and include your phone number - Fred
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 14 September 2019 16:48:38(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Fred, there is a list somewhere of what it takes to build that layout, the most expensive part if I remember from the last time I built that track plan was all the switches. The plan is from an old Marklin track booklet. I will have to go search google images to see if I can find the track list of whats needed. I am hoping to just buy all the stuff so I can build it and finish it out as a small show layout. Might just take some time to pay off the track bill, depending on what it all costs.(if you willing to sell the bits needed to build it). But for the set up late this month, I am hoping to just buy a loop of M track and a transformer. Just need enough to make a loop that fits on a 3 foot by 6 foot table. Not planning to take the portable this time due to tight budget. As long as its not raining, going to pack the M up in my Vespa and ride down. Between the roll bag on the rear and under the seat storage, I have plenty of room for HO trains to ride with me. Mike the Aspie

Here is how the layout looked many years ago. Shortly after this pic was taken, the layout gained trees, roads and full overhead catenary for my E-loks. But those pics were lost to a computer crash. The table has nicer "grass" now and a small loop of C track and digital control. But I am struggling to understand the whole digital world using the older style controlers. The newer stuff is nice that I have gotten to play with, but a central station or even the latest MS2 is out of reach. I guess I should try putting a standard DCC decoder in the F unit since I have the motor set up for DC operation. See if I can get the Intellabox to talk to the decoder.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline SteamNut  
#5 Posted : 14 September 2019 20:26:28(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I might have everything to build the whole layout with M track, but only for you to borrow it not buy it. I also have the Marklin 29000 set which has a controller and a oval C track which you can borrow if you want to run digital.
Offline artfull dodger  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2019 07:38:29(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I still have the digital control set up and that small loop of C track that I can remove from the small table, but my one remaining diesel lacks a decoder. I am going to try putting a normal DCC decoder in it, a TCS T1 to be exact, as according to the instructions the Uhlenbrock Intellabox is supposed to be able to run a standard DCC decoder, along with Marklin Motorola/Marklin Systems decoders. I will tinker with that this coming week. I have some M track, a transformer and such located for just the cost of shipping. Unfortunatly, I am pretty much a lone wolf with Marklin trains in my area of the USA. Anybody else is several hours drive away. Mike the Aspie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger