Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2019 16:18:38(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi guys, I took the body off my gs800 to check the brushes and oil a few parts. With body off it runs great in each direction but when I screwed on the body it just made a humming sound.Body off it runs great but body on it wont run.I cant find any place where it could be shorting out or binding.Is this a common problem and is there a fix for it.The loco is for sale and I might have a buyer for it but if it wont run with the body on then Im in trouble. Eddie
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2019 18:06:59(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys, I took the body off my gs800 to check the brushes and oil a few parts. With body off it runs great in each direction but when I screwed on the body it just made a humming sound.Body off it runs great but body on it wont run.I cant find any place where it could be shorting out or binding.Is this a common problem and is there a fix for it.The loco is for sale and I might have a buyer for it but if it wont run with the body on then Im in trouble. Eddie

Are you removing the headlights before refitting the body? You need to fit the body then reinstall the headlight lampholders last.

Failing that, there is most likely a chaffed wire that is being shorted when the body is on.

Be aware the chaffed wire may appear ok but could be damaged where you can't see and contacting the chassis. Can you add photos of the loco with body removed?

I added 3018 to the title, it was not actually catalogued as GS 800 even though it's molded on the body

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline MalinAC  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2019 18:25:14(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Cookee, yes I did remove the lights first before putting the body back on.I have got it to work ok by not putting the screw in to tight. But there must be something causing it not to work if the screw is put in as far as it can go.I checked everything but cant see where there could be problem. there are no wires that the body can touch when its going on .Anyway the main thing is its working ok. Eddie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC