Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GaryTrooper  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2019 21:41:48(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Joined: 26/01/2018(UTC)
Posts: 153
Location: Hailey, Idaho
After days and days and days of near perfect operation one signal fails to reset to red and lauches a cascade of derailments, collisions, and miss operations. Putting it all back together and forgetting to set one switch in right direction restarts the whole cascading failure events over again. Misdiagnosing a problem leads to more problems. I can't be the only one to go through this. I just wanted to watch the trains run for a little while. I'm having one of those days.Crying
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2019 22:59:04(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Joined: 31/12/2010(UTC)
Posts: 3,041
Location: Paremata, Wellington
Originally Posted by: GaryTrooper Go to Quoted Post
After days and days and days of near perfect operation one signal fails to reset to red and lauches a cascade of derailments, collisions, and miss operations. Putting it all back together and forgetting to set one switch in right direction restarts the whole cascading failure events over again. Misdiagnosing a problem leads to more problems. I can't be the only one to go through this. I just wanted to watch the trains run for a little while. I'm having one of those days.Crying


Oh dear, I think we've all had one of those.

Turn off the lights, walk out the door, have a cuppa.

Return to train-den, turn on lights, deep breath, everything works!! BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 25 August 2019 00:59:16(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Joined: 05/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,158
Location: United States
Originally Posted by: GaryTrooper Go to Quoted Post
I just wanted to watch the trains run for a little while. I'm having one of those days.Crying


Oh yeah - I have had way more than one of those days myself. It usually happens when I am short on time and I have worked on my layout to where operations are reliable and surely, just a few minutes of watching them run can't be asking too much.

But then one small screw up - usually caused by me - and the cascade can be spectacular and require a lot of time to fix. I just shut down and make my next train task to sort out all of the physical stuff before even trying again. My cats have also been implicated in a number of derailments although they deny all involvement even when caught dead to rights - just like most politicians the world around. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
I have models from Era I to Era VI, but I try to focus on Eras I & III. Whoops, that one got away from me. Let's just say I focus on cool trains, regardless of the particulars :-)
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline GaryTrooper  
#4 Posted : 25 August 2019 02:57:03(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Joined: 26/01/2018(UTC)
Posts: 153
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post


Oh dear, I think we've all had one of those.

Turn off the lights, walk out the door, have a cuppa.

Return to train-den, turn on lights, deep breath, everything works!! BigGrin



Good advice. I ended up taking a nap.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
Offline GaryTrooper  
#5 Posted : 25 August 2019 03:10:50(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Joined: 26/01/2018(UTC)
Posts: 153
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GaryTrooper Go to Quoted Post
I just wanted to watch the trains run for a little while. I'm having one of those days.Crying



But then one small screw up - usually caused by me - and the cascade can be spectacular and require a lot of time to fix. I just shut down and make my next train task to sort out all of the physical stuff before even trying again. My cats have also been implicated in a number of derailments although they deny all involvement even when caught dead to rights - just like most politicians the world around. BigGrin



My OCD wont let me leave the trains in a state of disarray. It's a disease I guess. Blink.

We had a cat when I was growing up, must have been around middle school days.. My wire training skills were poor at the time. The wires all hung down in large radius cantenary curves, made up of short lengths with the uninsulated twisted ends exposed. It was the cats dream play ground. I don't know how many times I would fire up the trains to watch them instantly crash. Oh the frustration. Those were the days. Glad they're over.BigGrin

Edited by user 25 August 2019 17:11:54(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed ODC to OCD, due to OCD, but really it should be in alphabetical order like CDO

G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2019 00:06:29(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Joined: 02/02/2017(UTC)
Posts: 334
Location: England, South Coast
Was it an analogue catastrophe or a digital one. Analogue catastrophes on layouts controlled by signals etc can take hours...and hours. Best left till the soul has received some form of fortification.
Offline GaryTrooper  
#7 Posted : 26 August 2019 00:23:10(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Joined: 26/01/2018(UTC)
Posts: 153
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Was it an analogue catastrophe or a digital one. Analogue catastrophes on layouts controlled by signals etc can take hours...and hours. Best left till the soul has received some form of fortification.


Analog but the signals and switches are controlled by an Arduino microcontroller. It turns out that layout construction vibrated a wire out of the Arduino terminal which was the red setting for the signal, allowing two trains to collide in the most inaccessible place on the layout of course. The cascading events continued from there.

I
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2019 13:19:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Joined: 22/01/2009(UTC)
Posts: 12,540
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think I'm a specialist in this but things have improved

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 27 August 2019 17:33:39(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Joined: 02/02/2017(UTC)
Posts: 334
Location: England, South Coast
I have a particularly close and personal relationship with Marklin 5146 and 5147. If they are spoken to in loving terms they will operate faultlessly for years. If they feel they are being ignored or become jealous of something new on the layout they can behave very badly indeed.

If they ever gang up with 6600 and decide to get you something very nasty will happen and blaming the catenary is of no use.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline GaryTrooper  
#10 Posted : 27 August 2019 18:08:10(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Joined: 26/01/2018(UTC)
Posts: 153
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I have a particularly close and personal relationship with Marklin 5146 and 5147. If they are spoken to in loving terms they will operate faultlessly for years. If they feel they are being ignored or become jealous of something new on the layout they can behave very badly indeed.

If they ever gang up with 6600 and decide to get you something very nasty will happen and blaming the catenary is of no use.


That's pretty funny but it's no lie!
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 28 August 2019 01:05:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Joined: 05/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,158
Location: United States
Originally Posted by: GaryTrooper Go to Quoted Post

That's pretty funny but it's no lie!


That's exactly what I was thinking. BigGrin

I swear that some of my locos keep watch and if they are slighted in any way they will take their revenge.

And more than once I have had them gang up on me and do more damage together than any one of them could do on its own.

And yet I still love them and hope that I am never parted from them. ThumpUp

I think that means I am crazy, but in a good way. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
I have models from Era I to Era VI, but I try to focus on Eras I & III. Whoops, that one got away from me. Let's just say I focus on cool trains, regardless of the particulars :-)
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dominator  
#12 Posted : 28 August 2019 05:33:52(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Joined: 20/01/2015(UTC)
Posts: 747
Location: Kerikeri
I had a minor mishap last night when my BR86 would not register on my slave MS2. As a result, the BR75 and 86 were on the master MS2 when I saw the 75 heading onto the same track and the 86. In the confusion of trying to correct the problem, I just managed to hit the stop button as the 86 touched the 75.
The wiring under my layout is not pretty, so some time ago I screwed some opened out cornflakes boxes under the baseboard to prevent CATastrophes as well.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline GaryTrooper  
#13 Posted : 06 September 2019 05:53:29(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Joined: 26/01/2018(UTC)
Posts: 153
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GaryTrooper Go to Quoted Post

That's pretty funny but it's no lie!


That's exactly what I was thinking. BigGrin

I swear that some of my locos keep watch and if they are slighted in any way they will take their revenge.

And more than once I have had them gang up on me and do more damage together than any one of them could do on its own.

And yet I still love them and hope that I am never parted from them. ThumpUp

I think that means I am crazy, but in a good way. Cool


This thread made me want to break out the 6600 and make it play well with others. It took a fair bit of effort but the 6600 came in line eventually.

G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline Michael4  
#14 Posted : 06 September 2019 09:38:38(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Joined: 02/02/2017(UTC)
Posts: 334
Location: England, South Coast
Nice demo.

I do wonder about 6600. I have a couple bought cheaply on Ebay and so far they have been impeccable in their operation.

They seem to have a reputation for being faulty and I thought my first one was. It took a while for me to realise that you need to be in a certain sort of mindset to understand the instructions. They look very sparse at first but the info is there and needs winkling out. Then enlightenment dawns second time round.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline GaryTrooper  
#15 Posted : 06 September 2019 19:04:22(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Joined: 26/01/2018(UTC)
Posts: 153
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Nice demo.

I do wonder about 6600. I have a couple bought cheaply on Ebay and so far they have been impeccable in their operation.

They seem to have a reputation for being faulty and I thought my first one was. It took a while for me to realise that you need to be in a certain sort of mindset to understand the instructions. They look very sparse at first but the info is there and needs winkling out. Then enlightenment dawns second time round.


In my humble opinion the 6600 has a very limited ability. I guess it was fun at one time when electronic controls were first being developed. I basically use it now as a separate block speed controller. I know the digital guys are laughing. BigGrin
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
Offline Michael4  
#16 Posted : 06 September 2019 23:56:44(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Joined: 02/02/2017(UTC)
Posts: 334
Location: England, South Coast
[quote

In my humble opinion the 6600 has a very limited ability. I guess it was fun at one time when electronic controls were first being developed. I basically use it now as a separate block speed controller. I know the digital guys are laughing. BigGrin


They don't know what they are missing!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Goofy  
#17 Posted : 07 September 2019 10:10:22(UTC)
Goofy


Joined: 12/08/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,026
For many years ago i did tested 6600 but there was a lot of faults!
Return back to analog trafo and it works better. BigGrin
Today i use digital and will never ever go back to analog.
Sure even with the digital bad days happens for someone.
DCC means Digital Command Control.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline JohnjeanB  
#18 Posted : 07 September 2019 11:09:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Joined: 04/02/2011(UTC)
Posts: 522
Location: Paris, France
Hi
The 6600 when it was created (1984) was fun and for the first time allowed shuttle operation
I haven’t used it for quite a while but it was working great with old style lcos (mechanical invertor)
Now I cannot use it with my MFX locos (i don’t wanna fry my decoder)
bad timing it was released just one year before digital.
Marklin says they cannot be used with decoders as current hatching will disturb digital signal detection
Cheers
Jean
My lay-out videos
General operation
Loco change
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2019, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.637 seconds.