Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jcrtrains  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2019 22:01:11(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Folks;

At the start of July, my wife and I went on a great vacation by rail from Zurich to Rome. The trip was 11 nights, including 2 nights in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne, 3 nights in Vernazza (Cinque Terre) and 4 nights in Rome.

Between Zurich and Lucerne, I was allowed 3-4 hours on the platform of Arth-Goldau. This provided a great opportunity to see all sorts of trains. Hats off to my wife, who patiently read her book on the platform, while I ambled up and down taking pictures.

Over the entire Swiss part of the trip, I saw 5 locos and numbers that I actually owned.

The first I captured in the Zurich main station on the SZB platform as below:

Sihltahl.JPG

The second two I captured at Arth-Goldau:

Re 456.JPGRe 66.JPG

And finally, we went to the Swiss Transport Museum In Lucerne where I captured these two:

Ae 814.JPGAe 66.JPG

Finally, one that I don't own that was a great surprise as well as a picture of me enjoying the Arth-Goldau platform

cool.JPGme at arthgoldau.JPG

My only slight disappointment from a rail perspective is I did not get to any Hag-centric retailers. I went to Zueri -Tech in Zurich; no Hag but bought some nice NME cement wagons. I missed Neisser - arrived at the store in the afternoon but she had closed early for the day; had to drool at the window. Regrettably also missed Suter - trip plan meant Lucerne primary time was latter part of Sat, Sunday and early Monday so not open. The only Hag item I saw available for sale was a lonely Re 460 Co-Op in the basement of Franz Carl Weber - it was one of the early ones from Stans that had some paint challenges; now several years an unsold and unloved. Sad.

All in all, an awesome vacation with a good bit of side railfanning and a very patient wife (I did buy her a nice Hermes scarf in the Rome airport duty free).
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2019 18:14:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Nice photos. If you want the Churchill Pfeil, I understand that Roundhouse (roundhouse.ch) is selling a few models.
I was there in July. I spent a week there, mostly travelling by train. I added the RABe 503/ETR 610, RABe 511, RABe 514, BLS Loetschberger, BLS MUTZ and a few others (OBB Railjet) to my "been on" list. I did not get to ride on the Giruno or Twindexx (SBB), nor on any of the new SOB Stadler trainsets.
I spent a few days based in Zurich and a few days based in Interlaken, both of which were convenient for train based day trips.

As far as Model Trains, the selection at Zueri Tech was relatively limited. A bit of Maerklin, some Roco and Piko, but stocks were a lot less than on prior visits.
Buehler in Interlaken was better stocked and I did pick up two items that I had noted on their stock lists online prior to my trip, but there were no surprises.
I went to visit Christian Eymann at Eyro, which was well stocked. Unfortunately I left there with only one shopping bag because I am pretty much up to date on my ACME and LSM models.
I was not too disappointed as I am awaiting the LSM/Models World Nightjet (Zurich-Vienna) and Cisalpino sets and I knew that the Roco Nightpiercer was due any day at home.
I also made the trip to Adligenswil (via Luzern) to visit Suter. I picked up a few items and dropped a Piko model off for repairs. Due to delays on the Olten-Luzern line, I made it there just before closing at 4PM.

I did not bother with Neisser. I first went there in 1985 (I think) and again in 1998 and 2003. I pretty much gave up on that place after seeing items on display with price tags and asking about them and being told (on two occasions) that the items were "not for sale". I don't know if the place is a store or a museum or whether the lady just did not like selling to "Auslaender", but they lost me as a client.

I did not have the time to visit Zuba Tech when I was in St. Gallen. I just hopped on the bus (took a while to figure out where it stopped) as the SOB had an ersatz service to Herisau due to work on the Sitter viaduct.

I used to love Roundhouse and the small little shop on Marktgasse was a gem for older models. That was back in the day.
I regret that I did not make it to Geneva. I have wanted to visit Molard and Boller again.

As far as Railfanning. I was disappointed with the relative lack of other traffic. I spotted one container train in Arth-Goldau (Ferrymasters) and another one in Spiez (Ewals/Move), but there was not much daytime traffic on the Gotthard when I was there. I photographed a Giruno and a RABe 503 in Arth-Goldau, a BLS Re 475 in Spiez (idling). The base tunnels impressed me technically, but were not visually exciting. It was like a prolonged subway ride without stops. Somehow, the scenery and the other traffic is something that I felt was lacking. Seeing other trains always made me wonder what was onboard, who was inside and where were they going... That is lost in a single tube tunnel that goes on for miles and miles. Yes, you get where you are going minutes faster, but you lose the sights along the way...

On your next trip, make sure that you put Boller and Molard on your list, as well as Bahnorama in Bern, Eyro in Interlaken and maybe Wemoba in Pieterlein. I don't know if Roundhouse has a physical shop in Olten, but that would be worth it too.

I used to look forward to visiting Swiss shops to see what Sondermodelle and Export Models I could find that were not listed here. Those days are gone, with the possible exception of the Piko Swiss Exclusives (RBe 4/4 (540), Ae 4/7) and some of the LSM/ModelsWorld items.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2019 14:51:21(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

I did not bother with Neisser. I first went there in 1985 (I think) and again in 1998 and 2003. I pretty much gave up on that place after seeing items on display with price tags and asking about them and being told (on two occasions) that the items were "not for sale". I don't know if the place is a store or a museum or whether the lady just did not like selling to "Auslaender", but they lost me as a client.

The nice old lady in the Nesser store is probably one of the nicest person you'll have a chance to meet at the counter of a model RR store anywhere in the world! .
There is one thing you need to know : Mr Nesser, her husband was on the TEE Bavaria, returning to Zurich on February 9 , 1971 and was killed in the disaster in Aitrang.
She has kept the store running since(!!) probably more in memory of her late husband than anything else
The "not for sale" items are indeed memorabilia for her .
No ostracism at all here.
But I always enjoyed chatting with her, she a really sweet person.
Hope this explains it for you.
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2019 17:40:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
@Jacques,

thanks for the background information. The first time I was there, it seemed that she was annoyed at my questions, as I had immediately focused on some of the more rare items that were not readily available across the pond. The second time that I was there, she seemed annoyed at my less than perfect German.

I can understand the attachment to the collected items, but if that was the case, perhaps they should not have had a price tag and should have been labelled as "display model"

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline jcrtrains  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2019 00:18:14(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Jacques;

Thank you for that. I was aware of her husbands passing many years ago, but not the circumstances. I have visited the store during opening hours only once in 2012. I was purely in browse mode and there happened to be a customer there who could intervene with my German impediment. I think the novelty of a Canadian flying in for the HAG Morschwil factory closing may have helped. I did not purchase anything as I had destroyed my budget from a combination of the HAG factory and Roundhouse down the street.
Offline Unholz  
#6 Posted : 09 August 2019 09:20:41(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
With regard to Mrs. Neisser, I for once don't agree with Jacques Vuye: Sure, she is a pleasant person, and one has to admire the way she has kept her shop running since 1971.

But she definitely has a tendency to try to coerce (unknowing) customers to just buy "anything". I accompanied friends from over the pond to her shop frequently over the years for exactly the reasons described above, mainly acting as a German translator and advisor. More often than not, she didn't have the desired item in stock or it was "not for sale" - and in all these cases she offered "alternatives" ("Sorry, I don't have that particular HAG loco in stock, but look at this beautiful LGB crocodile - why don't you take it instead?" - "Or how about this Marklin gauge 1 crocodile, it's much more impressive than the small HO stuff!").

Thus, she lost my business a long time ago. And with due respect to the background circumstances, I think that at her age it would be high time to retire - just sitting there and chatting with the occasional old customer can't really be joyful.