Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2019 16:44:48(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi everybodyCool

Back from holidays more than a week ago Crying

Several weeks ago I put some Roco 64143 passenger cars on sale because I had derailment problems due to a change of close couplers (my fault)

The Marklin close coupler were changed and replaced by Roco 40270 (Walter from ERH took care of it).

I ordered a marklin loco for these Roco coaches. So I have to change the connections of the Roco 40270 on the Marklin locomotive assigned to these coaches.

I totally forgot to ask ERH to change the Marklin couplers to Roco couplers.

I'll try to do it myself.

My question: Rocos are different and are they difficult to install on a Marklin locomotive? And how should this be done? I'm receiving the loco next week.

Thank you for your replies

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Thewolf  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2019 17:03:50(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi Cool

I must still have my head on vacation.

I just checked a Marklin 39364 Ae 6/6 locomotive and I think I understood how to do it.

Just have to be very careful: a job for my wife with her fairy fingers

Have a nice day

Thewolf
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2019 18:20:44(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know which Maerklin lok you intend to run with your consist. Locomotives that do not have a close coupling shaft do not have the same movement that ones equipped with a close coupling shaft do. On some models, the coupling socket (or coupler) is screwed to the bogie or chassis and can only pivot to the right or to the left. On such a locomotive, it may be problematic to use a rigid coupler like the Roco close coupler (40270) or Fleischmann Profi coupler (6515).
If you experience any problems, there are a few options:

1) Use regular Maerklin type couplers (7205) on the first coach and the lok.

2) Replace the coupler on the lok with a hook only coupler.
http://eyro.ch/onlinesho...166&products_id=1081
Because this is only the hook, this means that the loop on the first coach will run without interfering with buffers as there is no second hook to raise it up.

3) Use Roco's Universal Close Coupler on the first coach and the locomotive
https://www.roco.cc/en/p...0-003005-0/products.html
This design increases the space between coaches/cars/lok by approx. 1-1.5mm and operates without the interference that some modellers have experienced when using Maerklin's 7203.

I like option #2 in many cases, as this still allows for easy detaching of the locomotive, simply by lifting the first coach up.
It also allows me to use the lok with any train equipped with Maerklin 7203, regular couplers (72060) or Roco's universal coupler (40395).

Regards

Mike C
Offline Thewolf  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2019 20:09:18(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I don't know which Maerklin lok you intend to run with your consist. Locomotives that do not have a close coupling shaft do not have the same movement that ones equipped with a close coupling shaft do. On some models, the coupling socket (or coupler) is screwed to the bogie or chassis and can only pivot to the right or to the left. On such a locomotive, it may be problematic to use a rigid coupler like the Roco close coupler (40270) or Fleischmann Profi coupler (6515).
If you experience any problems, there are a few options:

1) Use regular Maerklin type couplers (7205) on the first coach and the lok.

2) Replace the coupler on the lok with a hook only coupler.
http://eyro.ch/onlinesho...166&products_id=1081
Because this is only the hook, this means that the loop on the first coach will run without interfering with buffers as there is no second hook to raise it up.

3) Use Roco's Universal Close Coupler on the first coach and the locomotive
https://www.roco.cc/en/p...0-003005-0/products.html
This design increases the space between coaches/cars/lok by approx. 1-1.5mm and operates without the interference that some modellers have experienced when using Maerklin's 7203.

I like option #2 in many cases, as this still allows for easy detaching of the locomotive, simply by lifting the first coach up.
It also allows me to use the lok with any train equipped with Maerklin 7203, regular couplers (72060) or Roco's universal coupler (40395).

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike CCool

Thank you for your reply.

I followed Walter from ERH's advice.

As I bought Roco coaches from him, although I had put them up for sale, I wasn't interested in selling them.

So I returned the coaches to him. He made the change.

Here is his email after the repair:

''MPORTANT! If there is an urgent matter concerning your order, please contact us directly at 1-866-799-6098 (toll-free USA/Canada) or 1-604-533-5886.
sergehamiot
Subject: Order 1830528

JUL 25, 2019 | 12:36PM PDT
Walter Menzel at Euro Rail Hobbies & More replied:
Hello Serge,
So, finally checked what is happening with these coaches and Marklin close couplers are a mm to close and therefore cause derailing. I changed them all back to the Roco close coupler and what I did was change the close coupler on a Marklin Re 4/4 on one end to the Roco Close coupler. Problem solved. They work just fine. So, I am including an extra package of the Roco 40270. ALl you need to do is hold the marklin CLose coupler "pocket" with your finger and squeeze the butterfly end of the close coupler with a pair of tweezers and push through. Thein install the ROco close coupler. Please ensure you install in the correct position and not upside down. Use the ROco coaches as a reference. WIll mail on back today.

Best Regards
Walter Menzel
''

The loco he used in his test seems to be Re 4/4 37351. That's the one I ordered.

I guess I can trust a professional of Walter's value....otherwise there would be a big problem, wouldn't there?

But I'll keep your advice in reserve... but I refuse to think that I could have problems with this system, especially since it was suggested and placed by the owner of ERH

Have a nice day

Thewolf

Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2019 23:42:43(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
yes. Roc 40270 are **the** answer.
Not just with Roco equipment, but also LS Model, REE, Electrotren, ACME, ESU, etc. etc.
Mother M woukld do themselves a favor by using them as original equipment.
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2019 00:23:30(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am not as sold on the 40270 as some of you. I had a mix of the original and newer versions of these couplers, as they are standard on most Exact scale coaches sold by Roco.
On some of the older models, I have been able to use the Maerklin 7203, but as they became more precise in the reproduction of the buffers, there were cases where the Maerklin couplers would rub against the underside of the buffer and this would cause the coach to tip or derail.

For those coaches, the solution for me has been the 40395 Roco Universal Coupler. This coupler can be used with any other model with regular Maerklin coupling or even the 7203 close coupler. The added bonus has been on models by Liliput, LS Models, Heris, ACME and other manufacturers, where the coupling shaft was slightly shorter than NEM norms, that the Roco Universal Coupler has a shaft that is approximately 1mm longer than Maerklin's 7203 and even Roco's 40270, which allows for trouble free coupling of those models.

Using the Roco 40270 means that the locomotive/coach/car can only be coupled with cars with the same type of coupler. I don't keep the same lok with consist all of the time, so I like the fact that I can use any lok with any coaches.

@Serge: If you want to see how I worked it out, send me a PM and we can arrange to meet and I can bring a few models with me.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 06 August 2019 18:30:25(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
yes. Roc 40270 are **the** answer.
Not just with Roco equipment, but also LS Model, REE, Electrotren, ACME, ESU, etc. etc.
Mother M woukld do themselves a favor by using them as original equipment.

Hi Jacques Cool

According to what Walter wrote, I think you're right.

Personally, I will see to it that it is in use. I'm waiting for the loco.

Thewolf
Offline Thewolf  
#8 Posted : 06 August 2019 18:45:41(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

Using the Roco 40270 means that the locomotive/coach/car can only be coupled with cars with the same type of coupler. I don't keep the same lok with consist all of the time, so I like the fact that I can use any lok with any coaches.

@Serge: If you want to see how I worked it out, send me a PM and we can arrange to meet and I can bring a few models with me.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike Cool

I can only say that you are right about this aspect of the Roco 40270 coupler, but I don't mind,... given that I define a loco for each train composition.

The only thing I do among aother things is to decouple in the train yard and send the train somewhere in the yard with a kopf or a service loco equipped with an automatic telex.

For the fun...Cool BigGrin .

I prefer the automation of the routes... but it's very long to be operational for the moment. We are going to move

I ordered a Roco loco for this set of coaches with the 40270 coupler: R-79259

The 37851 marklin that I will receive next week will be equipped with new coaches,,, next year after the move

I remember your idea to meet for this coupler problem....if it doesn't work. Anyway, it would be a good idea to meet... I think.

Have a nice day

Thewolf