Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2019 14:09:29(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Hi there. I have been talking about some problems that I have had with Telex couplers and Roco Swiss wagons. I have been shunting on my railway today and I find that the Roco wagons do not roll freely, which is part of the reason for them uncoupling when being pulled by my V60.

I think I should accept advice offered earlier and replace the Roco wheel sets with Marklin sets. Can someone please advise me what to buy?
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2019 14:57:42(UTC)
H0

I have no problems with Roco DC wheelsets on Märklin C track and never replace them.

You can get Roco AC wheelsets. I wouldn't expect Märklin wheelsets to work better than Roco wheelsets.

If the wheels to not turn freely, then maybe there is a different problem, like wheelsets not properly installed or some obstacles in the car frame.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2019 15:00:00(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I have no problems with Roco DC wheelsets on Märklin C track and never replace them.

You can get Roco AC wheelsets. I wouldn't expect Märklin wheelsets to work better than Roco wheelsets.

If the wheels to not turn freely, then maybe there is a different problem, like wheelsets not properly installed or some obstacles in the car frame.

I have tried to clear the wheels but I will have another go.

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2019 15:40:30(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

OK, so I have got somewhere with this. I rolled one of my Marklin wagons down the track and it rolled very freely. I did the same with the Roco wagons but they rolled about 12" (30cm) before stopping. I have tried to clear out the bearing area and applied some oil before but I obviously didn't do the job properly.

The Roco wagons don't have any bearings so the wheels run against the plastic of the solebars. I have a tool for cutting breaks in Vero pcbs which is a small drill in a handle. I have used this to ream the axle bearings out and then put a drop of oil into each. The wagons run much freer now, although not as well as the Marklin ones. This seems to have sorted the problem, except at one point where there is a distinct bump in the track. All of my loks pull these wagons over that bump except for the V60/Telex lok. I should get rid of the bump but it is right at the back of the layout and I can't reach it. I must pull the layout out and have a go at sorting it. However, in reality, the V60 is limited to the yard area so would never be out the backthere with any wagons!

Thanks for your input.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2019 20:32:47(UTC)
Minok

United States   
My experience with ESU wagons and DC vs AC wheels, that may be common to many makes, is that the DC wheel spec being what it is, its not just the wheel spacing that is different (which can be adjusted to match the AC wheel spec, but the flanges on Märklin AC wheels are taller too, and the shorter DC flanges cause wheels to dip into the gaps at crossings and switches.
However more significant, I found that the ESU wagons, which were made with DC wheels, even when I put the ESU specified AC wheels, didn't roll smoothly for 33% of the wagons I had purchased (2 of the 6 didn't roll smooth). The problem was tolerances in manufacturing, which the product QA doesn't find as they roll fine with DC wheels, but when the AC wheels are put in, those wheels would rub against parts of the wagons' undercarriage bits, so one wagon had the AC wheel rubbing against a plastic brake shoe, while another was rubbing the larger flange against in screw under the wheelset that wasn't seated far enough into the bottom of the wagon.

So smoother reliable running is often obtained by using AC wheelsets, but if the quality control of the wagons isn't deep enough, you may find sloppy assembly means it doesn't work well with AC wheel sets.

The AC wheelsets to get are typically specified by the manufacturer, and can vary depending on the specific car. So look up the specific car model on the manufacturers website, or look in the instructions that came with the car; they should specify the part number of the AC wheelsets.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Minok