Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Registers on the forum or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2019 13:52:56(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Hi everyone

I have the following set ups
Class 24 + 3 4-wheel Roco coaches
Class 23 + 6 Rheingold coaches

I also have a Class 78 and would like to get some appropriate caches. At the moment, the budget will stand 2.

Any suggestions. I am set in Epoch III but I am not too set in my era!

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2019 14:48:28(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Post #4 of below thread contains prototype examples:

https://www.marklin-user...045-Silberlinge-question
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2019 15:09:12(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone

I also have a Class 78 and would like to get some appropriate coaches. At the moment, the budget will stand 2.

Any suggestions. I am set in Epoch III but I am not too set in my era!

I use my Br78 with a set of Prussian design 6 wheel coaches.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

The Br78 is a Prussian design so I think they are a particularly good match, however I have also run mine with 6 wheel and bogie rebuilt coaches, and with thunderboxes.

My coaches are Marklin 4307, 4308, 4309. They haven't been available for some years now, but you may find some on eBay.

More recent coaches are the 4317, 4318, 4319 rebuilt versions of these coaches and other derivatives which are pairs of coaches permanently coupled. They are also not in the current range but were available more recently and should be easier to find.

https://www.maerklin.de/...pdb_pi1%5Bsearchres%5D=1

There are also some excellent coaches by other makers, such as Brawa:
https://www.brawa.de/en/...compartment-coach-b3-db/
https://www.brawa.de/en/...mpartment-coach-b3tr-db/
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2019 16:34:13(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Thanks. I will check them out. Is there anything more modern?

David
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2019 16:37:59(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

David
Is that question aimed at Ray or at me? Because I gave you, inter alia, "Silberling" coaches...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#6 Posted : 20 June 2019 18:06:29(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

David
Is that question aimed at Ray or at me? Because I gave you, inter alia, "Silberling" coaches...

Sorry - confused - they look great. Will they go around my small radius curves? My Rheingold coaches have that clever coupling that stretches and compresses.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2019 18:15:44(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

David

Am I to understand that they ran in reverse using the Cab control as the lead coach? Or would that not be with a class 78?

Piko do them and Gaugemaster have them in stock so I might get a good deal of my local supplier. Just bothered about them going round my short radius curves.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 20 June 2019 20:52:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have the Marklin Siberlings and they will go round your radius. I have some Piko coaches and not all go round the smaller radius all that well and sometimes derail but I don't have the Piko Siberlings.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 20 June 2019 22:14:54(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I have the Marklin Siberlings and they will go round your radius. I have some Piko coaches and not all go round the smaller radius all that well and sometimes derail but I don't have the Piko Siberlings.

David, it is silver! Smile Named after the appearance of the noble metal silver (in German: Silber). Even the new Märklin family names themselves Sieber.WinkCool There is no word "siber" in GermanBigGrin. Even in English I did not find it - but I found the word sober. OhMyGod Laugh I guess, one of these days we have to drink a good "Bocksbeutel" together. Love Are you familiar with a "Bocksbeutel"?

ciao

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 20 June 2019 23:05:32(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

David, it is silver! Smile Named after the appearance of the noble metal silver (in German: Silber). Even the new Märklin family names themselves Sieber.WinkCool There is no word "siber" in GermanBigGrin. Even in English I did not find it - but I found the word sober. OhMyGod Laugh I guess, one of these days we have to drink a good "Bocksbeutel" together. Love Are you familiar with a "Bocksbeutel"?

ciao

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang. The Marklin catalogue has the as Silberling(e) or Silver Coin. I see they now do a set .. 41275 .. which includes lighting and is OK for a 360mm radius. They also have passengers installed. My typing is not great and I should spend time making sure I hit the right keys.

Not heard of Bocksbeutel but happy to have a drink with you anytime.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 20 June 2019 23:09:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

David

Am I to understand that they ran in reverse using the Cab control as the lead coach? Or would that not be with a class 78?

Piko do them and Gaugemaster have them in stock so I might get a good deal of my local supplier. Just bothered about them going round my short radius curves.

Hi David,
The class 78 was inded one of the steam engines used in "push-pull" services so long as you have a control coach.
There is one on the "silberling" range.
For the bogie coaches I would be careful about brands other than Maerklin.
There are possible various issues (couplers, wheels, overhang fouling ...).
I speak from experience rather than loyalty to Maerklin.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 20 June 2019 23:30:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I see they now do a set .. 41275 .. which includes lighting and is OK for a 360mm radius. They also have passengers installed.

That set is the second Insider wagon set from 2018, so may be difficult to obtain, as it is (nominally) for Insider members only.

But having said that, it is a very nice set.

Offline tiono  
#13 Posted : 21 June 2019 06:30:03(UTC)
tiono

United States   
My BR 23 + Silberling 1/2 Kl. + Umbauwagen 1/2 Kl. + Umbauwagen 2.Kl./Gepäck, climbing a non-prototypical gradient of 15 degree.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tiono
Offline Alsterstreek  
#14 Posted : 21 June 2019 11:00:25(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
The class 78 was inded one of the steam engines used in "push-pull" services so long as you have a control coach.

"The DB converted several Class 78s for push-pull running e.g. between Frankfurt and Wiesbaden. Because the engine driver in the driving coach could only work the brake, operation of the regulator and reversing gear was carried out by specially trained stokers as signalled by the engine driver. The last locomotives were retired by the DB in the mid-1970s at Rottweil locomotive depot (Bahnbetriebswerk or Bw). The farewell journey for this engine class and, at the same time for the Class 38s (Prussian P 8), took place on 31 December 1974."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_T_18
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#15 Posted : 21 June 2019 17:43:19(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

ciao

Wolfgang

No but I spent many years working in the City of London drinking Becks!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#16 Posted : 21 June 2019 17:45:52(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

David

I have just ordered Piko 59687, 59688 and 59699 from Scograil for a total of £130.00. Should have them by next wednesday so I shall report back!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 21 June 2019 18:07:04(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I have just ordered Piko 59687, 59688 and 59699 from Scograil for a total of £130.00. Should have them by next wednesday so I shall report back!
Nice buy. I hope you ordered them with AC wheelsets as Piko DC wheelsets will cause derailments on Märklin tracks.
I can highly recommend Roco Universal couplers for third-party rolling stock - Märklin close couplers are too high for scale models and can cause derailments.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#18 Posted : 21 June 2019 18:15:15(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Nice buy. I hope you ordered them with AC wheelsets as Piko DC wheelsets will cause derailments on Märklin tracks.
I can highly recommend Roco Universal couplers for third-party rolling stock - Märklin close couplers are too high for scale models and can cause derailments.

We shall see. My LHS doesn't do much Marklin. I will find out next Wednseday
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline TEEWolf  
#19 Posted : 21 June 2019 20:07:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

ciao

Wolfgang

No but I spent many years working in the City of London drinking Becks!

Laugh Almost, but we are talking about Scotch and wine not beer. Becks is beer and get left out here.BigGrin

David is living where this Flying Scotsman comes from. A beautiful, well know and fast train commuting between Edinburgh and London - vv., and hopefully always filled up with a good Scotch on board. Unfortunately this train was not yet made by Märklin, also their steamer are also as nice as these now offered French 241-A locos and the Simplon Orient Express.

If I drink some alcohol, I prefer mainly the Macallan, out of these nice sherry oak barrels. Or a good “Bocksbeutel” filled with wine. Ages ago it originally shall be created out of the scrotum of a ram (in German “Bocksbeutel”). Today it is made out of glass, of course. But the design of the wine bottle is still today named as “Bocksbeutel” and used for high quality wines from Franconia, Bavaria. An alcohol speciality like a good Scotch.

https://upload.wikimedia...e/Bocksbeutel_bottle.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocksbeutel

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#20 Posted : 21 June 2019 20:43:01(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: tiono Go to Quoted Post
My BR 23 + Silberling 1/2 Kl. + Umbauwagen 1/2 Kl. + Umbauwagen 2.Kl./Gepäck, climbing a non-prototypical gradient of 15 degree.

This is a nice train and you have an interesting incline. Have to keep in mind.

Märklin offered such a similar train as you put together as a push-pull train, but only with Silberlinge.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/26543/
Offline David Dewar  
#21 Posted : 21 June 2019 21:25:55(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Piko are nicely made but running as said can be a problem. I think David uses battery lighting so no need for pick up which make matters worse.
If you dont like them the Marklin Silberlinge runs very well.
Offline tiono  
#22 Posted : 22 June 2019 09:26:44(UTC)
tiono

United States   

Märklin offered such a similar train as you put together as a push-pull train, but only with Silberlinge.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/26543/

I have Marklin Silberlinge set #41275, and I put a BR 01 133 (#39016) as the locomotive.
Below is my consist:

Below is the prototype photo taken in 1971 between Koblenz - Trier.

BR01 133

Offline LongHairedDavid  
#23 Posted : 22 June 2019 10:57:29(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Piko are nicely made but running as said can be a problem. I think David uses battery lighting so no need for pick up which make matters worse.

I can't see that the Marklin versions are available anywhere so I bought the Piko from my local hobby shop. Having had a model shop myself, I know how important that act can be!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 22 June 2019 11:28:58(UTC)
H0

Piko are nicely made but running as said can be a problem.
Märklin H0 tracks do not have the standard spacing. Running rolling stock that was made for standard rail spacing on Märklin H0 tracks can be a problem. Adjusting or replacing the wheelsets and using appropriate couplers does the trick.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#25 Posted : 22 June 2019 11:30:07(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

I can't see that the Marklin versions are available anywhere so I bought the Piko from my local hobby shop. Having had a model shop myself, I know how important that act can be!

That's great! I too support physical model shops whenever I can, though there is no longer one anywhere near where I live.

I have many Piko coaches and wagons and run them without problems. I would recommend changing the wheels to the AC versions. They are not expensive and it changes the coaches from "good" running to "excellent" running! BigGrin

I was tempted by the Piko Silberlinge but as they are full scale length (303mm) they are a bit too long on my layout and collide with the catenary masts. I bought the Marklin 282mm length ones instead.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#26 Posted : 22 June 2019 14:33:58(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Piko are nicely made but running as said can be a problem.
Märklin H0 tracks do not have the standard spacing. Running rolling stock that was made for standard rail spacing on Märklin H0 tracks can be a problem. Adjusting or replacing the wheelsets and using appropriate couplers does the trick.

Hi there. I have at least 12 Roco goods wagons and 7 Roco coaches (including one with a slider!). All of these run fine on my standard 24130 curve oval. I haven't changed the wheel sets on any of them.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington