Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gwolski  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2019 20:38:15(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
ESU 51808 ABC Braking Adapter
This item consists of a small PCB and snap in connectors which attach to the output ports on the SwitchPilot Extension unit. The adapter generates the ABC Braking signal which allows ABC enabled locomotives to automatically stop in a powered, digital track segment. As such, power remains on and lights and functions can be accessed.

Activation - when the respective signal is turned to a stop aspect, the SwitchPilot extension (basically a set of relays) routes the track power output through the braking section which generates the asymmetric DCC signal which triggers the locomotive decoder to stop. When the switch changes back to a proceed/go aspect, the track output power is no longer run through the signal generator and the train can resume operation.

Pros and Cons
1. Needs ABC enabled locomotive decoder
2. Requires both SwitchPilot and SwitchPilot extension
3. Allows train to stop while still on a powered, digital track section (functions similar to Marklin digital braking unit for 3 rail)

ESU 51809 Signal Adapter for SwitchPilot
This item is another plug in adapter for the SwitchPilot decoder which allows it to be used with common cathode signal units. The instruction mentions Viessmann signals, but my Viessmann all are common anode and work well directly connected to the SwitchPilot. However, the unit also supports the Marklin 72442 digital braking module.

USE
Simply pop the adapter into the SwitchPilot and you now have two ports of common anode outputs (each adapter covers two ports).

Pros and Cons
1. Each pack has two adapters - enough for all four ports on one SwitchPilot)
2. Ability to drive the Marklin 72442 braking unit from a SwitchPilot

Bottom Line
Two nice additions to the ESU line up. If you use ABC braking (or want to try), or if you need common cathode outputs, these fit your existing SwitchPilots and reduce the need for home brewed solutions.

I'm hoping to see the long awaited SignalPilot when its released - I'll post a review.
Gene Wolski
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline DanielBlack  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2019 09:23:33(UTC)
DanielBlack

Indonesia   
A review on this would be valuable. We wait ;)
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2019 04:42:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Gene, they are nice and handy modules and I use the switchpilot servo modules + servo motors for all my turnouts but having a rather large layout the other braking modules are getting expensive when you have to use a lot of them so I've constructed my own braking module with a considerable cost reduction.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode