Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2019 20:05:21(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

I have been working away on my 2m x 0.9m basic board with little attention being given to the extension. The extension board is a staging set up with two tracks for trains to run off to and to come onto the scenic part.

It looks like this is SCARM

DP Old layout

Valerie, my ever patient wife was listening to my tales of woe because the extension has to be squeezed into the gap between the layout and the wardrobe and is a right pain to set up. Hence, I rarely use it and just run a single train around and around! She sat there thinking and asked if I could come of the bottom corner of the board as, then, the wardrobe wouldn't be an issue and it would be easier to set up. I agreed wholeheartedly and proceeded to make some changes to the structure for this to be done. Fortunately, using foam core as a base material means that I can cut and past with a hot glue gun. In fact, not much was actually required so the baord went up.

Now, I have to change the trackwork. Not such a simple task as I am not immersed into Marklin track geometry. Using what I had resulted in some pushing and shoving to make the track fit. Hence, I wondered if it could be done in a more elegant way. I made the changes in SCARM and couldn't get anything to fit so I am opening it up to you lot, who are much more knowledgeable than me and a lot wiser. Is there a solution to this problem?

VAP New layout

I have a collection of curves but nothing that will fit into A or B and connect without a push(if you know what I mean!).

I am happy to buy some more track but would like to avoid buying point work if I can afford it. My budget is currently being harvested to provide a Krokodil!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2019 23:47:06(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
What you really need David is a train room. However what you are doing in a small place looks good and will allow for plenty of buildings. You might need to change the position of the points or maybe add a small straight between them. Its trial and error probably. A selection of small track straights and curves could help.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2019 02:49:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Your problem in the 2nd diagram is that you are using a 24230 and a 24130 leading to the curved point, you should be using 2 x 24130. Try using all of the same type of curve, at both ends as I see you have mixed curved types at the other end.

The point at 'B' will also need the makeup piece to make a 30 degree curve. Keep in mind that the radius of the point's curve is equal to a 24230. It might be better to use a curved point there instead of the 24612 point you have.

You will also have to shorten your siding lengths.

Having a second look, try removing the short straight at 'A' and replace with a 24230, and replace the 24612 point with the curved point. This should match both ends up curve wise, you can then fill the gap at 'B' with the same curve types you have at the other end.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2019 17:02:45(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Your problem in the 2nd diagram is that you are using a 24230 and a 24130 leading to the curved point, you should be using 2 x 24130. Try using all of the same type of curve, at both ends as I see you have mixed curved types at the other end.

The point at 'B' will also need the makeup piece to make a 30 degree curve. Keep in mind that the radius of the point's curve is equal to a 24230. It might be better to use a curved point there instead of the 24612 point you have.

Having a second look, try removing the short straight at 'A' and replace with a 24230, and replace the 24612 point with the curved point. This should match both ends up curve wise, you can then fill the gap at 'B' with the same curve types you have at the other end.

Thanks for all of your help. Using your advice, I messed about with the options and finally got things to fit. Here is the final result.

New Track layout

The prellbock is there, at the moment, just to stop any disasters. I often run the main railway without the extension. Changing the point would be disastrous without the buffer stop.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2019 20:51:12(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for all of your help. Using your advice, I messed about with the options and finally got things to fit. Here is the final result.

New Track layout

The prellbock is there, at the moment, just to stop any disasters. I often run the main railway without the extension. Changing the point would be disastrous without the buffer stop.

Next step. On the staging board I want to have two or three parallel tracks. These will be fed either by a 24612 (for the two tracks) or 24630 three way point for three tracks. What I can't work out is what combination of short curves do I need to get the tracks parallel. All of the ways I try end up with diverging tracks.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#6 Posted : 04 June 2019 11:18:38(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

New Track layout

Next step. On the staging board I want to have two or three parallel tracks. These will be fed either by a 24612 (for the two tracks) or 24630 three way point for three tracks. What I can't work out is what combination of short curves do I need to get the tracks parallel. All of the ways I try end up with diverging tracks.

I sorted out the problem. I realised that some Marklin starter sets have a single parallel spur so I checked out what came in the box and now I have designed my four track "shadow station". I have also found most of the track I need of a friend in the UK. Just had to buy the special decoder for the three way. All I need now is find a good price on a brown krokodil!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid