Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stickers66  
#1 Posted : 30 May 2019 20:37:29(UTC)
stickers66

Canada   
I'm looking at sticking with steam era for my Z-scale. The detail of the little moving push-rods is pretty cool!

I'm looking at a circa 1991 set called: 8135 "Dompfeil". It comes with a nice BR 03 loco/tender and four cars.

Does anyone have any experience with this set? I've read the loco comes with a 5-pole motor, but would like confirmation.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by stickers66
Offline zscalehobo  
#2 Posted : 30 May 2019 23:52:22(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Nice looking set! 1991 definitely pre-dates the Marklin 5-pole era by nearly 10 years. So I would say with confidence if it's original equipment, it will be a 3-pole motor.

And it looks to be one that uses the 211909 5-pole replacement (no longer produced) so an upgrade will be dicey.

Set details: http://lokshow.de/showar...p;SArt=877&SBez=8135
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline stickers66  
#3 Posted : 31 May 2019 00:27:21(UTC)
stickers66

Canada   
Yeah, i figured the time of the release did match the 5-pole motor. Still it is a very pretty set.
So what if it does not have a 5-pole motor, should that be a deal breaker? The railcars just look amazing.

Offline zscalehobo  
#4 Posted : 31 May 2019 02:03:02(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: stickers66 Go to Quoted Post
So what if it does not have a 5-pole motor, should that be a deal breaker?

In my experience, I observe 3-pole motors running just as well as 5-pole motors - I think the 5-pole replacement is over-sold by many dealers simply because it is added funds in the pockets. I actually have many who come to me asking for motor replacements when they really don't need it. Some see my point and stick with the original once it's running smoothly. Others just want 5-pole and don't want to hear any advice indicating otherwise. :D

That being said, HOS (hardened oil syndrome) and unknown condition of dated Marklin releases makes revival a dicey option for some people. If you are comfortable with revival, the 3-pole is fine. If not, look for a release that has a 5-pole. But either 3 or 5 - you might get caught up in an HOS situation. When buying dated Marklin - make sure "HOS Free" or "guaranteed tested and smooth runner" are comments attached to the listing. Not advisable to buy from "tested with a battery on a single section of track" or another one I see is "looks brand new - but I don't have tracks/controller to test it."

Check DIY in Z - lots of articles about Marklin revival: http://www.zscale.org/
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline stickers66  
#5 Posted : 31 May 2019 04:24:55(UTC)
stickers66

Canada   
Thanks for the tips. Thankfully my German is still good enough that I can read if the train is running smooth as tested. I think it's worth rolling the dice.
Offline stickers66  
#6 Posted : 31 May 2019 20:47:24(UTC)
stickers66

Canada   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: stickers66 Go to Quoted Post
So what if it does not have a 5-pole motor, should that be a deal breaker?

In my experience, I observe 3-pole motors running just as well as 5-pole motors - I think the 5-pole replacement is over-sold by many dealers simply because it is added funds in the pockets. I actually have many who come to me asking for motor replacements when they really don't need it. Some see my point and stick with the original once it's running smoothly. Others just want 5-pole and don't want to hear any advice indicating otherwise. :D

That being said, HOS (hardened oil syndrome) and unknown condition of dated Marklin releases makes revival a dicey option for some people. If you are comfortable with revival, the 3-pole is fine. If not, look for a release that has a 5-pole. But either 3 or 5 - you might get caught up in an HOS situation. When buying dated Marklin - make sure "HOS Free" or "guaranteed tested and smooth runner" are comments attached to the listing. Not advisable to buy from "tested with a battery on a single section of track" or another one I see is "looks brand new - but I don't have tracks/controller to test it."

Check DIY in Z - lots of articles about Marklin revival: http://www.zscale.org/

Again, I have less worry about 3-pole motors. My main concern is that I get an engine with two speeds: stopped, or full speed. I would hope the engine in this set could run at moderate speeds. I think my concerns come from too much youtubing, where people have their Z-scale trains cranked, giving the impression that this is the only speed.
Offline zscalehobo  
#7 Posted : 01 June 2019 00:26:32(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Granted, these are not pulling any cars, but both of these USA F7s are 3-pole motors.

A "Crawl Session" if you will:
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2019 02:29:05(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone.

I have noted on a few websites, the E211909 motor was replaced by E211911. Some websites list this motor at around $47.

This might be worth checking into if you are still serious about this set.

Yes, a cleaned and "tuned" 3 pole motor is an excellent performer if everything else is also ready and properly lubed. Cleaned internal gears, new brushes, quartered drive wheels etc.

If a replacement five pole is available, it might be only a slight improvement, but it also indicates support for the loco, and a possibility for you to keep it going for many more years.

The good thing about upgrading this motor is that it can all be done from the metal frame up. The wheel set would not need to be removed, unless it is seriously locked up. This motor may require soldering the motor wires to the copper frame system/brush support wires, which is a part of the frame, I have not looked into this completely. I had a bit of challenge making this connection on another loco, and you may have the same experience.

If the wheel set must be removed, carefully document the wheel positions now and refer to the photos as the wheel set is reinstalled. (assuming the loco has not be disassembled previously) I sometimes can find the wheel position on the photo of the loco on the box. It will not be an easy process to reinstall the wheels once removed and it takes time and patience to complete.

It is amazing how these little Z Scale locos can be kept going, so many years after they were manufactured, they are that good.

Good luck.

Offline stickers66  
#9 Posted : 05 June 2019 02:45:44(UTC)
stickers66

Canada   
I am looking at another set like this from a UK ebayer. I will make sure the loco is running at the very least. I don't mind doing some work lubing things up and getting it going. There is likely a lot of information on how to do this.

What do you mean by "quartered drive wheels"?

Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 05 June 2019 03:26:59(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi. Z Scale HoBo could likely explain this better than I could but basically each drive wheel must be set so they do no bind or lockup. Only steamer have this issue. (An exception is the 8864 v260 diesel which have a linking rod for the drive wheels) If you have a z scale steam loco just look at the drive wheels and you will notice each wheel has a small half moon shape on them. To oversimplify, each of them need to be in the same orientation as the other wheels in the drive set. Of course, if there are fewer wheels in the set it should be easier to accomplish. In between each drive wheel there is a small connecting gear and this is what contributes to the challenge. Add the connecting rods to this and well perhaps you could get what I am saying.

It is not easy, but if you take it apart and then just put all the parts back in without quartering it likely will not work and you will not know why, perhaps burning out the motor. This has been a topic on this forum in the past just search it. It is a concern in all scales.

Here is something from another train forum which may be helpful:

https://www.modelrailfor...ndex.php?showtopic=12042

Z scale is great but it is also small to work on. Steamers are great engines and I agree the look of the drive pistons/connecting rods working is special.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline stickers66  
#11 Posted : 25 June 2019 16:47:26(UTC)
stickers66

Canada   
Hi all,
My plans may have changed and I think the 8135 might be too long for what I am trying to accomplish. Can anyone recommend a steam era passenger train that can handle tight turns - I mean like the smallest radius you can get away with? I would gather that the longer modern-day passenger cars won't like tight turns, so maybe something older? What about those 3-axle railcars from the Prussian era?
Offline husafreak  
#12 Posted : 25 June 2019 17:44:05(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
That's what I would do for a really tight track. ERA I small steam engine without tender like the 88985 (or cheat 88742) and Prussian passenger cars like the 87009. I got really lucky with my first model train. An Austrian set from Z Scale Hobo with a nice variety of passenger and freight cars. But I definitely realized later that bigger engines and longer train cars don't look right or run well on really tight curves, which for me begin at 145mm.
Another thing I have realized over time is that if you get an older Marklin steam engine running well and swap the stock grain of rice light bulb for a yellow LED from High Tech Modelbahnen then it will look absolutely amazing. The newer Marklin steam engines have a more detailed running gear which is most excellent, and of course the new motors are less maintenance and more efficient, but the new LED lights on them are often still pretty dim. And those cannot be replaced. Generally the new Marklin stuff is more highly detailed if you are really looking close.
It's crazy how many cool trains are still out there (even new) on internet stores. Spend a day canvassing the lot, great fun if you like trains! I guess I mean that if you pick one you want and look for it specifically it may be unavailable or very pricey if it became popular. But if you look with an open mind you will find other similar or same engines and cars that got passed over somehow but are still available.
Offline stickers66  
#13 Posted : 25 June 2019 18:31:14(UTC)
stickers66

Canada   
I had a look at Z.scalehobo. Lots of goodies there! 87672 and 87681 look like good fits. Just need a era matching loco!
Offline husafreak  
#14 Posted : 25 June 2019 18:56:40(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I hope it’s ok to say this but feel free to call him. I talked to him a lot when I was just getting started and he answers the phone!
Offline stickers66  
#15 Posted : 01 July 2019 02:17:12(UTC)
stickers66

Canada   
Just noticed he has a eBay store! Nice.