Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obb_taurus  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2019 05:31:24(UTC)
obb_taurus

Hi Everyone,

I'm finding that my layout has many areas where engines have power hiccups and I'm at a loss to understand why. I originally thought it might be that I don't have enough feeder tracks but there are cases where engines experience hiccups close to a feeder track. I then thought perhaps the track in that area needs cleaning but after cleaning the problem persists so I have no idea what else could be causing the problem. I recently got a couple new engines, one is the 37127 NS 1200 and the other is a 37166 tank loco and they seem more susceptible to problem along with my Franco-Crosti while other engines such as 37xx series engines and 39579, 37021 don't have this problem at all. I've had a couple close calls where trains have almost run into each other because when I run them too slow they will actually get stuck and my heart almost stops when I see engines seconds away from colliding so any help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2019 06:13:53(UTC)
MaerklinLife

One thing is the number of feeder wires, as you say, another thing is the thickness of the cable leading to the feeder wire (aka. bus wire). If that is too thin, you might get in trouble anyway.

Is the bus wire thick enough?
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2019 06:24:09(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
One thing is the number of feeder wires, as you say, another thing is the thickness of the cable leading to the feeder wire (aka. bus wire). If that is too thin, you might get in trouble anyway.

Is the bus wire thick enough?

Do you have enough boosters?
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2019 11:16:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
On the basis that some locos keep going I doubt it is a feeder wire problem.

I believe you will find it is a problem individual to each loco and the spot where it stops on the track.

First i would look at the track to see that the centre studs are at the correct height. With C track especially it is possible for the studs to drop down in the plastic molding.

Next check the pickup shoe is flat. In recent times a number of people have reported problems where the pickup shoe is slightly bowed so the middle is dished. Problems went away, especially over points when the flattened the pickup shoe.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline obb_taurus  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2019 02:12:06(UTC)
obb_taurus

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
On the basis that some locos keep going I doubt it is a feeder wire problem.

I believe you will find it is a problem individual to each loco and the spot where it stops on the track.

First i would look at the track to see that the centre studs are at the correct height. With C track especially it is possible for the studs to drop down in the plastic molding.

Next check the pickup shoe is flat. In recent times a number of people have reported problems where the pickup shoe is slightly bowed so the middle is dished. Problems went away, especially over points when the flattened the pickup shoe.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried all you suggested, I've checked the tracks and have changed some tracks out with no success, I've also looked at the pickup shoe and made some adjustments which did not help either. As luck would have it, I have an older style clip on pickup shoe from another engine that fit the 37127, for kicks I swapped them to see what happens. The hiccups on my 37127 went almost completely away, it only had an issue in one area of my layout but I think there is a track issue there. The other engine seemed to work pretty good with the original shoe from the 37127 but it did have hiccups around the layout so it appears the pickup shoe is the issue so it seems that the best solution is to use the older style pickup shoes, not to mention these new ones seem extremely cheap in quality.

Thanks

Mike
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 21 May 2019 06:55:29(UTC)
Goofy

Did you bought C tracks second hand or from starter set?
I have seen "hiccups" often on the Märklin train layouts which causes by bad tracks.
You have to clean studs contact too.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control