Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dampnix  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2019 23:50:20(UTC)
dampnix

Germany   
Find a very suspicious A HR 744 B set on catalogue of the next auction in Worms, Germany

https://www.wormser-aukt...auktion-25000.html#25508

I am pretty sure it is a fake and refilling of a german box, taking last years first appearance of such a set in florida as an exampel.
It is a shame that these things are exepted for auction!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dampnix
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2019 03:13:56(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Good eyes, and yes I agree! I haven't seen the HR 700 A set in my 10+ years of collecting vintage Marklin and then suddenly there are two in the time span of one year! :-)

At the last auction I went through all the vintage lots and realized all the boxes have the same wear patterns - I think most of them are fake. For instance this one - did it go for a swim through the mud?

Marklin box

I am working on a guide to spotting these boxes. It will not be publicly published but shared with interested collectors to tell the difference between original and fake. Although this box is convincing there are a few things "off" about it.

I recorded a video going through the highlights of the previous auction (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7vvEIcyjnM) warning it's a long video!

Someone is producing these boxes and pairing them with original vintage items. I have seen similar fake boxes on eBay. They are different from the Italian reproductions. It is sad that the auction house does not have the expertise or care to correctly describe their lots. A provenance is very important too - how did this set end up in Germany? It must have been in America at some point and yet there is no history to it. Much better to have a story behind the piece with documentation...

But it is up to us collectors to spot these and help each other find quality original items.

Best wishes,

Paul

Edited by user 09 May 2019 23:21:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2019 15:25:33(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
The AHR 700 set sold for 1.650 EUR - it seems the bidders determined it was not original!

Paul