Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MarcelV  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2019 21:37:04(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
Hi everyone, just started with Marklin since October. Learning a lot about stop sections M83’s, MFX+, signals etc. For now, it’s just carpet track but I keep adding because I clearly love the hobby and I am sure someday I will have the time and mostly the courage to start building a serious layout. I just purchased my first non-marklin train. It’s a Roco 69159, a Dutch (NS) train nicknamed the Hondekop (dognose). But I am clearly running into some issues. First I tried to register the set as a MM locomotive with the 2 default Marklin equivalents that were mentioned in the manual. While the train moved forward and backward, I didn’t have any sounds using that. So I removed it from the controller and tried something different. I did ‘find loco’, and it found it as a DCC-3 set. The problem is that I don’t have control of all of the digital functions. While F0 till F4 work and match the manual, I don’t have any of the other digital functions including internal lighting. Does anyone has a thought how I can get the F5, F6, F7, F8 and F14 working? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion you might have!

Marcel

Edited by user 05 May 2019 01:40:02(UTC)  | Reason: Solved the issue

Offline MarcelV  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2019 01:43:06(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
I solved the issue. I finally figured it out. In the MS2, you will need to change the loc data and assign icons to the appropriate function keys. As soon as an icon is assigned, the function key is available and the sound and light functionality start to work. Would be nice if they had assigned the missing ones by default just like they did F0 till F4. But hey, it’s working!
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2019 18:51:41(UTC)
Goofy

Competitors digital locomotive do have multiprotocol function and the adress are set at 3.
When you call up locomotive first time make sure you follow step by step when you finally accept locomotive by click on the accept symbol.
You have MS2 and be attention that when you get another new locomotive make sure only one locomotive must stand alone on the track.
Or else you risk the other locomotive start being program too.
With Märklin trains which also support mfx protocol you don´t need to call up manually.
It register byself to the MS2 by start reading locomotive.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline MarcelV  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2019 04:28:50(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Competitors digital locomotive do have multiprotocol function and the adress are set at 3.
When you call up locomotive first time make sure you follow step by step when you finally accept locomotive by click on the accept symbol.
You have MS2 and be attention that when you get another new locomotive make sure only one locomotive must stand alone on the track.
Or else you risk the other locomotive start being program too.
With Märklin trains which also support mfx protocol you don´t need to call up manually.
It register byself to the MS2 by start reading locomotive.

Thank you Goofy for the reply and to remind me that I have to make sure trains are removed from the track during the initialization/programming process. I assume I also will need to change the default address 03 to some other value to prevent that different trains will not recognize at the same commands? With MFX that doesn’t seem to be an issue because the MS2 will assign a unique value to the train and register it interactively with the decoder. But for FX or DCC there doesn’t seem to be that same interactivity between MS2 and decoder. Is that correct? (I can’t test it out because this is the only non-marklin loco I have)
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 08 May 2019 15:22:11(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: MarcelV Go to Quoted Post
But for FX or DCC there doesn’t seem to be that same interactivity between MS2 and decoder. Is that correct? (I can’t test it out because this is the only non-marklin loco I have)

If you use any protocol except mfx each decoder needs a seperate address within that protocol to be recognized individually.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj