Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rrf  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2019 23:52:34(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I've been playing with the M84 / 74371 Hobby Yard Signal combination for a few months now and am extremely happy with the results. I plan to expand their use and make them a layout standard for all of my hidden / lower level yards and blocks.

I have some 72442 braking modules arriving tomorrow. I will be experimenting with them to determine if I wish to standardize their use on all exposed / upper sections of my layout. The price point of the 74371, 74391 and 74380 signals is very attractive. Yet from reading manuals and using them with my M84, it is obvious they are not controlled in the same manner as a traditional signal (constant yellow and alternating blue common). So I cannot connect them directly to the 72442 braking module.

The forum search found a 2005 tread where someone posted a link to a simple circuit diagram for conrolling these signals. Sadly the link is long dead. Does anyone know what control signals need to be applied to the two blue wires that connect to the signals, in order to get them to switch back and forth between red and green? The thread implied that it is something simple with a relay and resistors.

Thanks in advance for any information and/or help,

Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2019 03:12:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I've been playing with the M84 / 74371 Hobby Yard Signal combination for a few months now and am extremely happy with the results. I plan to expand their use and make them a layout standard for all of my hidden / lower level yards and blocks.

I have some 72442 braking modules arriving tomorrow. I will be experimenting with them to determine if I wish to standardize their use on all exposed / upper sections of my layout. The price point of the 74371, 74391 and 74380 signals is very attractive. Yet from reading manuals and using them with my M84, it is obvious they are not controlled in the same manner as a traditional signal (constant yellow and alternating blue common). So I cannot connect them directly to the 72442 braking module.

The forum search found a 2005 tread where someone posted a link to a simple circuit diagram for conrolling these signals. Sadly the link is long dead. Does anyone know what control signals need to be applied to the two blue wires that connect to the signals, in order to get them to switch back and forth between red and green? The thread implied that it is something simple with a relay and resistors.

Thanks in advance for any information and/or help,

I know that the wiring of Märklin start-up articles do not follow the regular Märklin H0 colour system. Quickly I did not find the source for the difference. But as far as I remember Märklin is using blue instead of ??? (sorry do not remember) at the start up articles.

The regular Märklin colour scheme you find in ths article on page 3 (III) in the little box left down corner of the page with the green bar on top.

https://www.maerklin.de/.../MM_Verkabelung_2013.pdf

Please be aware, at the other cabeling plans in this article, you must look, if they are for digital or analogue, if you want to follow them too.

Offline rrf  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2019 17:50:03(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

First I would like to thank our friend from Bayern, TEEWolf for his reply. I was beginning to think I had become invisible Smile

The 74371 signal has 3 wires that connect to the M84. Per documentation, the red is the power feed for the isolated section of track. There is a light blue and a dark blue wire that are connected to the signal itself.

I tested the signal on the blue wires with my multimeter. It is 18 volts DC. The interesting thing is that the polarity changes based upon the setting of the M84. If the M84 is set to green, the light blue wire is positive and the dark blue is common. Switching the M84 to red makes the light blue common and the dark blue positive.

I have yet to hook up my first braking module. When I do so I will post what I learn about the lamp control signals it produces. That said, I'm expecting AC with the common alternating between the red and green sockets.

On a related subject, I am also trying to figure out if these signals are a suitable replacements for use with broken 76371 digital signals. Like at least one other person on the forum, I need to replace the signal block and LEDs on a pair of my 76371s. Though in my case it was one of my twins, not the cat that broke the blocks back when they were three. So I checked the signal coming out of the small decoder board. It was 16 volts DC. Yet the polarity didn't change based upon the signal's setting. So there must be some other control mechanism used with this digital signal rather than that used with the 74371s Sad
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
Offline flying_arch  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2020 09:31:41(UTC)
flying_arch

Malaysia   
Hi Rob

Did you managed to connect your signal 74371 to the brake module 72442? Kindly share if you have the chance.

Thanks

Regards,

Arch