Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2019 14:36:19(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Alright time for some comparisons.

I have diesels and electric locomotives in my inventory and now I would like to start collecting steam locomotives. There's just one problem, the price! While at my dealer yesterday looking to by a steam locomotive I noticed that the average price is around the $500.00 mark. Some around the $400 mark and most past $600.

My question to you is: is steam locomotives really worth that kind of money? Remember like any hobby or sports activity we alway find the money! So I just want to know the “I LOVE steam locomotives” viewpoint is it worth the money?

Thank you!

Edited by user 18 April 2019 18:15:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2019 15:02:33(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I have about 90% steamers, so I think they are worth the price difference. I think you must try to get them cheaper, maybe by buying used in ebay.de
or new in a German dealer, like for example MSL.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2019 20:31:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

I have diesels and electric locomotives in my inventory and now I would like to start collecting steam locomotives. There's just one problem, the price! While at my dealer yesterday looking to by a steam locomotive I noticed that the average price is around the $500.00 mark. Some around the $400 mark and most past $600.

My question to you is: is steam locomotives really worth that kind of money? Remember like any hobby or sports activity we alway find the money! So I just want to know the “I LOVE steam locomotives” viewpoint is it worth the money?

Thank you!

Grief, what locos are you looking at? That is the price realm of the SNCF 241A.

Br24 3624x series are around 199 Euro to the high 200 Euro for the latest ones.

The T3 Photographic Gray from Eurotrain (as in my avatar) is mid 200 Euro. There is currently a set with a black T3 with 4 goods wagons for mid 300 Euro.

There are a whole range of smaller steam locos in a similar price range.

Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2019 01:10:09(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello kiwiAlan,

Grief is not even coming close, more like good grief!

Have a look here;

https://www.eurorailhobb...;ca=4&sc=HO&so=4

If my memory serves me right the Marklin SNCF 241A was in the $800.00 range! If any of our Canadian members purchased one please correct me if I’m wrong.

I've never purchased from Europe so maybe that should change! Let’s see what happens.

Cheers and Happy Easter!

Michel
Offline jcrtrains  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2019 02:26:21(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Steam is ok!

8F153FCF-90EA-495F-9F5A-52DB513BB554.jpeg

Prices on the top items are a bit ouchy. BR 08 joined the flock recently - it was up there. Interestingly enough, it does not run as well as the Seetal Krok Mike ordered for me.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 19 April 2019 02:26:43(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello kiwiAlan,

Grief is not even coming close, more like good grief!

Have a look here;

https://www.eurorailhobb...;ca=4&sc=HO&so=4

If my memory serves me right the Marklin SNCF 241A was in the $800.00 range! If any of our Canadian members purchased one please correct me if I’m wrong.

I've never purchased from Europe so maybe that should change! Let’s see what happens.

Cheers and Happy Easter!

Michel

Michel,

a steamer is sooner or later a must. Whatever loco it will be does not matter. It only has to please you. Here you finde an overview by a German dealer.

http://joes-modellbahnla...f08b03b/Categories/2/3/7

A must steamer for everybody in Northamerica shall be a Big Boy or a Challenger. Do not forget this year a renewed Big Boy shall be under fire first time since ages! A historic moment.

Comparing North America with Europe you see, the US must not be expensive for buying.

https://www.eurorailhobb...amp;so=4&stock=39912

http://joes-modellbahnla...15f08b03b/Products/39912

Buying at Joes you have to add 40 € shipping cost. Then the price will be 715 € is today 805 USD. Eurorailhobbies seems to be competative.

Happy thinking about Eastern and a potpourri of all kinds of eggs.Smile

Cheers

TEEWolf

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2019 03:23:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Not quite sure that this should be in the Loco Review topic.

There is a whole range for steam locomotives, just like there is for electric locomotives and for diesels too.

For US modellers, it is a decent time to buy from Europe, given the value of the greenback compared to the CHF and EUR.
For Canadians, the drop in the value of the $CAD means that we have to be more careful when spending our money. The EUR is a little higher than in was a few years ago and the Swiss franc is up too. The big difference is that the USD is now about 30% higher against the loonie.

Given the shipping costs, unless I can put together an order that is big enough to justify up to 50 EUR for shipping, it is often cheaper to source single or pairs of items in Canada or the USA.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2019 04:58:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I buy steam locos second hand from German dealers and have paid for an older type BR 44 Euro 99.00 + shipping (analog), I than convert them to digital with sound and other few extras and it may come to a total price of Euro 230.00.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mrmarklin  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2019 05:48:03(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Thank you!

Grief, what locos are you looking at? That is the price realm of the SNCF 241A.

Br24 3624x series are around 199 Euro to the high 200 Euro for the latest ones.

The T3 Photographic Gray from Eurotrain (as in my avatar) is mid 200 Euro. There is currently a set with a black T3 with 4 goods wagons for mid 300 Euro.

There are a whole range of smaller steam locos in a similar price range.

There are a lot of great small Loks out there. My particular favorites are tank Loks. They’re great for smaller layouts with the typical Era 3 shorter freight and passenger cars.

The used market has great Loks as well of all types.

Streamers tend to be more expensive because a lot more detail goes along with them. Glare
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 19 April 2019 19:04:00(UTC)
TEEWolf

Gentlemen,

start your engine, please!

And have fun.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Jabez  
#11 Posted : 21 April 2019 23:02:53(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
That's what I call a steam enthusiast. He could serve as a voice double for WC Fields.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Mark_1602  
#12 Posted : 22 April 2019 19:05:44(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
So I just want to know the “I LOVE steam locomotives” viewpoint is it worth the money?

Thank you!

Hi,

It's only worth the money if you really feel passionate about this type of locos. I love vintage locos, and I've paid prices of over 1,000 euros for the most expensive items in my collection. That's a lot of money for an old loco ... As long as they're really original and near-mint, I have no regrets after the purchase.

It all depends on how you feel. If you really want to have the latest new tooling mfx+/DCC models, just go for them within the limits of your budget. In case you don't want to spend that much money, you'd probably be happier with second-hand digital steam locos that are often sold at low prices, especially if they have no sound functions.

There's one more thing to consider. Highly complex and detailed locos are more likely to have issues than older models, so you need to be prepared for that.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline hxmiesa  
#13 Posted : 25 April 2019 12:44:52(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   

My very short answer is "yes".
For each 2 modern electric/disel locs that I have, I wish today that I had saved the money and bought 1 steam loc.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline jerdenberg  
#14 Posted : 25 April 2019 15:40:52(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
I suppose it is up to personal taste. The best way to see for yourself would be to visit a show/dealer/… where you can see different diesel and steam engines in action, I think.

Personally, I am not favouring one over the other; of both species I like some and dislike/don't care about others.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline rrf  
#15 Posted : 25 April 2019 16:47:11(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

My collection is ~50/50 Steam/Electric with only two diesel loks that I can think of. I would like to counter the thought that all steam loks are expensive. In fact some of my favorite steam loks fall in the $100 to $200 range. IMHO the BR81s and BR74s are awesome loks and great values. At just over $200 there is the BR24 and then of course there's the BR89 at less than $100, that I believe everyone needs to have at least one in their collection.

My two pennies,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rrf